The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2003 entrée: Steven Youell » » Color...does it matter? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Okay, seems to be a insignificant question, yet the debate over which is better (Blue or Red) backed cards continues to be discussed on The Café almost daily. Smile

Do you have a preference? If so, can you elaborate as to why? (Stronger audience reaction, etc)
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
My preference is Blue.

Red backed cards tend to draw "MY" attention more to the cards, I guess because Red is such a dominant color in the world. Even though I don't feel I am handling the cards any differently, subconciously I am thinking about it and I feel the spectators are or might pick up on this.

Blue is considered a cool, calm, and relaxing color. I feel more in tune with the cards when they are blue.

This is a thought out explananation. Before now I hadn't really given it any thought and have just always preferred Blue.

"More than two cents but not quite a nickel"

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
It's never mattered to me. Smile or Smile ?
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
RED because it is warm color and blue is cold. Smile
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
I use both, but I prefer red because it draws the spectator's eye better. I tend to wear dark (and often blue) clothing, so the red also stands out better for that. It doesn't make a difference in my handling, though.

JesterJ
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
The traditional advice is that people who have gaps between their fingers should use blue cards because they're harder to see when you're palming a card.

I believe that advice came from Devant but I could
be wrong.

For me, the back color of the card is not important.

SEY
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I have always preferred blue, since that was what we grew up with playing cards. I also like the greater contrast and pop of a red backed card amongst the blue.

Kirk
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
I prefer blue; always have and always will. I think they look smooth, and I prefer to have an odd red card show up in an all blue deck for a few effects. It makes the card stand out more than a blue card in a red deck. Also, since I usually perform in darker surroundings (restaurants) blue cards tend to blend into the background which is useful when palming.
Daniel M. Carrico
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I like the new Green cards myself... reminds me of the season we are in.

John
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Green Cards???
I use both. It makes it easier to distinguish between various decks.
I prefer Red cards on a black mat though.
Daniel Faith
davidrowyn
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of davidrowyn
Not that this question matters to the significant advancement of magic, but...

I used to be adamant about using blue cards, and I prefer them, but they both have their pros and cons. But please don't use red cards on a red close-up pad - it looks bad. In addition, the lighter your skin tone is, the more you may find the contrasting blue appealing.

Sey, I thought the advice was to use red backed cards for those with 'windows' in their hands, as the red is closer to flesh tone. Does anyone have the printed reference for this? I'd be interested.

My best,
David Rowyn
Rob Woodward
View Profile
New user
Alberta, Canada
4 Posts

Profile of Rob Woodward
Blue is by far the best- I feel it matches more what I wear. lol. It seems to have a certain quality about it visually that has more of an impact on spectators, be it forcing cards whatever, I feel the blue seems to anchor the eyes a bit more, and allows for more phsychological type ideas. Smile
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
"The traditional advice is that people who have gaps between their fingers should use blue cards because they're harder to see when you're palming a card."

never thought about that myself.
I guess I should start using more blue cards since man... I got some skinny fingers and major gaps between them.

too bad the signatures don't show up too well on blue cards in general. and red just catch people's eyes better.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
My answer is very simple:

- Red Bicycles

- Blue Jerry´s Nugget

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
While it doesn't really matter, I find that some effects look better with red and some other effects look better in blue. Smile
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2003-12-04 18:28, davidrowyn wrote:

Sey, I thought the advice was to use red backed cards for those with 'windows' in their hands, as the red is closer to flesh tone. Does anyone have the printed reference for this?

David-- the reference is from David Devant's "Lessons in Conjuring" on page
19:

"Many men have not good hands form palming cards. The hands are probably quite large enough, but when the fingers are close together there may be little spaces between the knuckles and the middle joints of the fingers. The only way to get over this difficulty is to use cards with dark blue backs; even if the fingers are not quite close together when the cards are palmed the prescence of the cards in the hand will not be detected by the audience."

I believe that the main reason for this is that dark blue matches the shadows created by the gaps between the fingers much better than bright red.

Steven Youell
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I tend to use red more often than blue for no other reason than what will give the greatest contrast when placed face down on the table?

I often use a black close-up pad and red is more visual. When I'm working tables with white table cloths, I switch to blue for the same reason. Otherwise, it makes no difference to me.
Coram Deo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2003 entrée: Steven Youell » » Color...does it matter? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL