The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Edith Bunker "Dingbat" has joined Archie (R.I.P.) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Perhaps Archie went to heaven or perhaps not.
Sadly for us, Jean Stapleton has passed away.

Link to story
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here is a rare and appropriate clip. R.I.P. Jean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnWbT66VQno&feature=share
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
A truly great actress whose acting credits go far beyond Edith Bunker. She will be missed. RIP.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I sure admired her tenacity as an actress for those many years at playing Edith. Think what a constricting role that must have been for her, at her level of actress: Staying inside the same strange vocal range, personality range, etc., for years. She done good.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, she did. And she also did a lot of Broadway, film, and other television work before and after "All in the Family."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 12:15, mastermindreader wrote:
A truly great actress whose acting credits go far beyond Edith Bunker. She will be missed. RIP.

I was a teenager and volunteered as an usher at the Chicago Theater. I got to see her in that setting. I am racking my brain for the play. But yes SO much more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I LOVED, when in interviews, they would ask her do do "Edith" and she flatly refused and looked at them like they were idiots.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Her being rsmembered for Edith just shows what a tremendous actress she was.

Not only that but she was a warm human being. When ws met her she was kind to us when she gained nothing from it. Well beyond any reasonable expectation.

To be remembered by the world as one who brought tremendous laughter to so many is not a bad legacy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
She really created a wonderful, lovable character in Edith Bunker. She evolved and perfected the role as the show moved forward. I really her in that show.

R.I.P. Jean

:(
Mister Mystery
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Those who read Ken Levine's blog (he was the writer for Cheers and Fraiser) will like his tribute to Jean: http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2013/06/ri......ton.html

One of his points is that Jean is the reason the show worked. Archie Bunker was a bigoted, unlikable character: "So why did we accept Archie Bunker? Because Edith loved him. Because the person with the kindest heart on the planet knew he wasn’t really hateful, he was just railing. We loved her and if she loved him then he couldn’t be so bad after all. "
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
AITF wasn't the first time audiences heard Jean singing, btw.

She was in both the Broadway and movie versions of the musical "*** Yankees", and sang a version of "Heart" as part of a fan club for the leading character.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ah, the naughty word catcher caught the first word of the musical title. "D@mn Yankees"
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-06-06 11:41, Chessmann wrote:
Ah, the naughty word catcher caught the first word of the musical title. "D@mn Yankees"

That's ****ed up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Edith Bunker "Dingbat" has joined Archie (R.I.P.) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL