The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Prynce Wheeler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I was a Wheeler Escapes customer, starting around 1973. At that time, a Tower double lock cost me $17.
While I never met Wheeler in person, we did have phone conversations, including one where he gave me the 'skinny' on the newly-released S&W model 94.
Among my books is a copy of his "Thoughts and Advice on Handcuffs and Escapes," autographed by the author.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Never heard of him before he was mentioned by Dick in a post. Is the book you mention worth looking out for?

"i remember when.......a " your showing your age old man Smile thanks for sharing though Steve!

Anyone else have any memories of Prynce (not as in "the artist formerly known as Prince" musician)?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Even I have to step in here, surely this is another one of your famous jokes. You have never hear of Prynce E Wheeler Dave!? Have you heard of Joe Tanner or Wheeler- Tanner Escapes? I know you're Brit but that is no excuse Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I too never had a chance to meet Prynce Wheeler but I kept seeing the name stamped on several handcuff keys I had when I began handcuff collecting. Prynce Wheeler had a small business selling escape equipment and collectible handcuffs He was an escape artist and handcuff collector as well. Some one will know for sure but I think Prynce Wheeler died in about 1980. His daughter Pam married Joe Tanner and kept the family business going under the name Wheeler Tanner.

I travelled to see Joe Tanner in Montana in 1983 and see the huge collection of handcuff that he inherited from his father in law. In the being of my business Joe Tanner was my US distributor.

Joe still deals with antique handcuffs.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Dave and Harley! Thanks for the kind words!!!

That post on the 'other thread' is the first I've made in the Escapes 'department'. I WAS a bit surprised at the response!

I've always been interested in Escapes, but am definitely not an expert!

I was booking schools for National School Assemblies in the '80s and early '90s. For the season of '95, we had booked DICK XAVIER for a tour of about 16 weeks. Dick had auditioned a year or so before and had done a tour or two. In order to fill out his tour, Jack West (Nat'l. Mgr.) had had to book some elementaries. Dick was to start in Idaho in January of 1995. He didn't like elementaries as he had to do some magic for the little ones, with only one escape. Dick phoned the office in mid December and said he would not go out. Jack Lythgoe and I had spent time aI've never heard of Xavier since. I suspect he is out of the business. He had talent--just a bit of a prima donna! He did a jacket, the 100 feet of rope and the Australian crib in his 45 minutes. The high schools liked it.

I've since sold all but a few of my cuffs and come alongs to Dean Gunnarson.

Thanks for listening!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OOPS~ See above. I accidentally "edited" a line.

In the fourth paragraph, it should say: Jack Lythgoe and I had spent time and money booking Xavier. ...I've never heard of Xavier since.

Insert paragraph 5...I loaned a magician, puppeteer friend, Jim Jayes, my jacket, a set of Wheeler Transport Chains, a Hamburg '8' jumper cuffs, a thumb cuff, etc. and he did a fine job in Idaho, and Utah. (Jim is a SHOWMAN!)

JIm didn't want the Tennessee part of the tour, so I did it!. I was born and raised in Upper Michigan--100 miles from Appleton Wisconsin, so I told some Houdini stories, and did an exhibition presentation. --Jacket, cuffs, etc. I got a much better response than I deserved!

At 81 I "aint" gonna do any more road tours!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 07:01, x-treem wrote:
Even I have to step in here, surely this is another one of your famous jokes. You have never hear of Prynce E Wheeler Dave!? Have you heard of Joe Tanner or Wheeler- Tanner Escapes? I know you're Brit but that is no excuse Smile

I am really sorry ...... but ....... it was not a joke. I am sorry to say I did not know the name Prynce E Wheeler. I didn't start getting in to escapes until the late 90's early 2000 unless you count metamorphosis as a start? But that was not much earlier say 1996 (ish).

Needless to say "I am looking in to it" always want to know more about the history of escape 'stuff'.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Just yanking your chain, turnabout is fair play, there are many who are well known, in other circles, that I don't know about.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I'd've having my chain yanked ...... Hold on your not using that as a euphemism are you?

More than happy to be wound up ....... Literally as well as metaphorically.

Either way I done learned something!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Mr. Wheeler had an escape magazine I wish was republished in book form collecting the entire issues.
I still have the catalog.

Jerry
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Jerry, You might want to contact Joe Tanner for the publishing details , you can find him via

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/
thebeav55
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of thebeav55
I was also a Wheeler customer. It was probably 1970, maybe 1971. I bought a pair of 'Ace' thumbcuffs from him. He had a flimsy, colored paper catalog that I used to drool over. As a teenager I just didn't have the necessary funds to buy all that stuff. I have to look around as I'm sure I still have that catalog around somewhere.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The catalogue was an amazing thing! There must have been 100 or more different designs of SJ, a feast for the imagination. I think I still have one somewhere.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
I have a PDF of an old catalogue that makes an interesting read Smile
Buy the new updated Cell Escape-The Real Secret http://de-val-magic.co.uk/store/
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Here's a "foot note" to the Prynce Wheeler 'story'....

In '85, I was managing a phone room for the Stan Kramien show. I remember looking up Prynce when I was in Montana. He was in the intensive care unit of a hospital in (I think) Great Falls, Montana. We had a nice visit. I didn't stay too long as it was intensive care. I later learned that he had died later that night.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dick, I think your dates are out a few years, I was there in 1983 and stayed with Joe and Pam Tanner. Prycne Wheeler had passed away several years before then.
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
I believe he passed away 1n 1980
Buy the new updated Cell Escape-The Real Secret http://de-val-magic.co.uk/store/
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! (as Jay Marshall would say!)

I gotta hire a better proofreader!!! I usually read over my post before I hit the 'send' button! I must have been in a hurry when I wrote that, OR, my wrinkled old eyes missed that "5"!

Thanks for pointing that out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Prynce Wheeler (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL