The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Misers dream sources please (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Yeah...definately get Dicks' input.

I saw him years ago at my high school, and he totally fried me with the Misers Dream, and I "knew" how it was done.

He is the absolute BEST school show performer I ever saw.
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
J. B. Bobo's book Modern Coin Magic has 6 different Miser's Dream routines from 6 different magicians(Robert-Houdin, Carl C. Herrmann, T. Nelson Downs, Glenn Harrison, M. S. Whitford, and Jack Makepeace) along with various changes, palms, vanishes, and other coin tricks.
Are you watching closely?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Of all of the sources I've seen on the Miser's Dream (Page, Capehart, Bobo), I was most impressed with Robert Baxt's "Baxt, A Boy & A Bucket". It answered all of my questions and it's a routine that I'd actually perform. It was a great lesson in how to construct a routine!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I just got the Baxt DVD myself & I am currently putting the routine together to fit my style. IMHO this is a real "working" routine, high on the entertainment value & very low on the sleights.

I cannot wait to add this to my show!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have an Ebook available on Miser's Dream variations using some unique variations suitable for close-up. PM me.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
"Levent's Ultimate Guide to the Miser's Dream" is far away the most comprehensive treatise on the subject. It not only offers each sleight involved explicity explained in great detail- it also provides deep context by showcasing historical, carefully presented performances by the classic magicians who presented the trick and added their personal touches.

In my opinion, the dvds are worth the price just for the presentation of T. Nelson Downs masterpiece "Down's Eureka Pass", which is a mini-Miser's Dream out of your pocket sans bucket. This routine is very rare.

You also get to see props, gimmicks, gaffes related to the Miser's Dream. It's one of the very best, (arguably could be the best), dvd's on coin magic.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
ljh21
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
112 Posts

Profile of ljh21
I have not read funsway's ebook on the Miser's dream but the adaption for close up seems very interesting. I am glad to see someone has taken this classical great effect and adapted the techniques for close up preformance and have compiled this into a book. So congrats funsway. There are so many great techniques and versions of this for stage and so many references Down's ,BoBo, Ganson, Pat Page etc. But I also agree Levent's DVD's is a great set. And Jeff McBride is also a great teacher. David Roth had a great video of some of the old master working and several of them where performing the Miser's dream no suprise. This video was very educational to me the showmanship that was displayed was the real magic that conveying the illusion.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Was there something you specifically wish to explore that is not described in Bobo's book? That book has some about Downs and more recent for l'homne masque's Arial Treasury including a snipit of Downs' patter. The Vernon book has a tabled closeup version.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Hmmmm, I never saw the David Roth video on the Miser's Dream. I'd be interested in watching him perform this and what pearls of wisdom he'd pass down. which vid is this from?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Misers dream sources please (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL