We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Nest of Wallets Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Due to a shipping error I am getting my Nest of Wallets very close to the time I was planning to perform with them in a walk around setting.

I am comfortable with p**ming the ring/coin (or with a sh***le p**s).

My question is, how much time will it take me to get an acceptable level of proficiency for the rest of the moves?

If I play with them for a few hours will I be ready to go or is it likely to take weeks of practice?
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
There are no other moves. The only thing, as others have said, is that the wallets are stiff when you first get them and therefore a little tough to open. At my performance pace it could take months for the wallets to soften up. However, a little fumbling with opening has not harmed the success of the effect for me. Spectators don't know what opening these odd little wallets should look like.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
Depending Ono how many days you have until you use them I'd recommend practicing opening and then resetting the nest for half an hour at a time sat in front of the tv. This will help you to a) get it down more smoothly and b) help to break the leather in a bit.

The more time you spend doing this the better it will work for you.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
SpringBizkit
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of SpringBizkit
Ok, so the best thing to do for your wallet (in my opinion - worked for me)

After following the dvd instruction by putting talc powder inside the flaps to get them smooth, another thing I did was:

Hold the wallet with the opening towards you, slide the lip into the wallet and then use a rolling motion to get it to slide out.
You wanna break in the flap that opens and closes as one of the stiffer parts is that flap. So just roll it. Not in a way that you'd roll a cigarette for example, but just so that the insides slide upon eachother and it breaks in the outside of the leather a bit so it's loose. This makes it easier to slide it out when you need to perform.

Do this to all the wallets.

Hope this makes sense.

Sagar.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
"slide the lip into the wallet and then use a rolling motion to get it to slide out." Good advice from Sagar.

I think other than the stiff leather you should be OK with a couple hours in hand practice. Because it's stiff you probably need to reach in with your finger and kind of hook the flaps on the side. Its OK just a little clumsy. Borrow or use a smaller (flatter?) ring or use a coin and you'll be good to go. Use the talc.
Philip Busk
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
UPDATE:

The wallets didn't come until a few hours before performance. In watching the trailers I knew pretty much what I was going to need to do so I practice as much as I could (without having the props in hand).

Well, the wallets are AMAZING. The quality and simplicity is what I wish more props could achieve.

During my performance at a strolling magic event I only did the wallets a few times 'cause I was still a little nervous about them. But they worked great and got strong response.

Now that I've had them a few days I must say I love this bit of magic.

I broke them in by just following the advice in this post. In two episodes of Game of Thrones the wallets feel soft and the flaps open very smoothly.

The wallets are well made, fairly easy to perform for an experienced performer, and it seems like a miracle to the audience.

I highly recommend the Nest of Wallets.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
Congratulations, but I do think you're a pretty risky fellow for running right to performance with them instead of practicing it a few times at least first.
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Baby powder!!!!!!! put lots in every wallet then bang them out and beat the hell out of them.. roll them, squish them and use them as much as possible. You have to get rid of the stiffness that couses them to stick and not function properly at first

You will love this has quickly become one of my favourite nesting effects ever!!
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Not sure why anyone would want to perform a new trick for the public, that they only received hours beforehand. More thought should be put into the routines we perform.
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
If anyone has these & wants sell please pm...thanks
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 18:29, Corbett wrote:
Not sure why anyone would want to perform a new trick for the public, that they only received hours beforehand. More thought should be put into the routines we perform.


I concur 500%: do you have a script for how you get the coin marked, do you have a script for how and why the coin vanishes, do you have a script of why you give your personal wallet to a spectator....?
This is hell of a good trick: you owe to the good magicians who present that effect not to dammage it by presenting it in a lousy way
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 15:02, curtgunz wrote:
UPDATE:

The wallets didn't come until a few hours before performance. In watching the trailers I knew pretty much what I was going to need to do so I practice as much as I could (without having the props in hand).

Well, the wallets are AMAZING. The quality and simplicity is what I wish more props could achieve.

During my performance at a strolling magic event I only did the wallets a few times 'cause I was still a little nervous about them. But they worked great and got strong response.

Now that I've had them a few days I must say I love this bit of magic.

I broke them in by just following the advice in this post. In two episodes of Game of Thrones the wallets feel soft and the flaps open very smoothly.

The wallets are well made, fairly easy to perform for an experienced performer, and it seems like a miracle to the audience.

I highly recommend the Nest of Wallets.


Unfortunately, it is this kind of lack of preparation or seriousness that goes into so many performances, that gives the general public the idea that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can walk into a magic shop, walk out, and call themselves "a magician." Sad really.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
I don't think that you need speed to open the wallets. I do think that you should practice loading it as fast as possible though. I wore out a set of wallets practicing the opening sequence. Now when I practice , I focus more on loading it fast, than on opening it fast.
hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-06-05 22:42, curtgunz wrote:
Due to a shipping error I am getting my Nest of Wallets very close to the time I was planning to perform with them in a walk around setting.

I am comfortable with p**ming the ring/coin (or with a sh***le p**s).

My question is, how much time will it take me to get an acceptable level of proficiency for the rest of the moves?

If I play with them for a few hours will I be ready to go or is it likely to take weeks of practice?

I don't think that you need speed to open the wallets. I do think that you should practice loading it as fast as possible though. I wore out a set of wallets practicing the opening sequence. Now when I practice , I focus more on loading it fast, than on opening it fast.
hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
vkurchenkov
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of vkurchenkov
Presentation in performing nest of wallets is crusual. Master opening wallets till the handling is extremely smooth and open them in moderate speed. It gives a touch to performance. If done fast, kills the moment, longer they wait, bigger is reaction. That is my opinion based on experience.
mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
103 Posts

Profile of mkarav
I have them bought Nest with pro-flite also. I am happy with the products. I have used pro-flite competently but not the nest its too good to waste with mediocre effect. With pro-flite a quickie is effective. With the Nest I want to vanish the ring deceptively and use time misdirection so the final revelation has maximum impact, it needs a little more than a pass. I may use a handkerchief to vanish depending on when I get access to the ring, right away or later after the vanish. Any suggestions for routine or vanish methodology please advise.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5318 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have no problem with the ring vanish. I've been vanishing finger rings frequently for other routines: Regal's Ring Chain, various ring flights, and generally for some ring and string routines. So the vanish is the easy part for me. I took my good old time with the wallet presentation, opening, and finally, the ring reveal! That's where I needed to work on my presentation.

mikarav, any ring vanish you have used will suffice for this. The simplest is to just use a basic coin vanish but with a ring. Actually any vanish (or false transfer) you would use for a thimble, ball, or coin will work. Another method is to use the Fabric Manipulation No Ring Ring Hank to vanish it. You could also use Richard Sanders's AnyRing Hank though that isn't quite as effective as the No Ring one.

Jim
mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
103 Posts

Profile of mkarav
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
I have no problem with the ring vanish. I've been vanishing finger rings frequently for other routines: Regal's Ring Chain, various ring flights, and generally for some ring and string routines. So the vanish is the easy part for me. I took my good old time with the wallet presentation, opening, and finally, the ring reveal! That's where I needed to work on my presentation.

mikarav, any ring vanish you have used will suffice for this. The simplest is to just use a basic coin vanish but with a ring. Actually any vanish (or false transfer) you would use for a thimble, ball, or coin will work. Another method is to use the Fabric Manipulation No Ring Ring Hank to vanish it. You could also use Richard Sanders's AnyRing Hank though that isn't quite as effective as the No Ring one.

Jim


Thanks for the info. I will consider the Fabric Manipulation although I prefer a larger hank like 18" square as Roth recommends for silk & coin routines. Fabric is smaller I believe but I may get it anyway. Thanks. I feel a simple pass for the vanish is not strong enough as there is not sufficient time delay from vanish to production. The production is mechanical. I guess with a hank the ring can vanish and after a time period sufficient to "sell" the vanish then the production. It should not be as quick as say a ring to key-chain (Pro-Flite).
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I got the nest of wallets the past December and did not see a need to break the wallets in with use or baby powder or anything. They seem to be a type of faux leather and are soft on the inside. Maybe they changed the materials, I don't know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Nest of Wallets Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL