The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Growing Shrinking head-jumbo size (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Anyone interested in sharing their thoughts on the success and failure of choosing the right drill to purchase to make this illusion a big hit? And by success I am referring to consistency and dependency on choosing a user friendly set-up that works for the audience.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Any battery powered drill that has a low speed will work every time. Smile

Mark.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4575 Posts

Profile of Payne
I use one of these in my Steampunk show to power the growing head illusion
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1140 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I do NOT use a drill. I put a "sleeve" (metal tubing that is slightly larger dia. than the bolt) & a lock nut at the end of the bolt. Hold on to the sleeve & grab the spiral & give it a spin. Use the nut as a "handle" to move the spiral when it starts to slow. A GREAT idea from Jason Hudy!

Mark
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1723 Posts

Profile of wally
I have used a small coredless re- chargeable screwdriver for years
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I like Payne's way.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1296 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Paynes way is cool. I use a electric screw driver as its smaller than a drill. The speed seems fine and there a bit cheaper as well. I once had to fly to a teacher conference and only was aloud carry on. To make my bag the weight I ditched the screw driver and brought one at the other end. Wish I had thought of Mark and Jason idea.

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 5:57pm
If you do use a power drill you can also make a bird and cage optical illusion for it as well. Also a colour wheel that goes white as it spins. These 3 things together gives a great optical illusion show with a science twist. This idea has just come to me I need to get making.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
If you live in the "States" and have a Fred's store in the area, you can buy a rechargeable electric screwdriver for around $12.00. The bolt fits perfectly in the end of the screw driver without any modification. I buy and keep two in my case fully recharged just incase one fails. The speed is perfect for the trick. When they start not to recharge after about 2 -3 yrs of use, I just throw them away since they are so cheap and go buy another.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1140 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I went to using Jason Hudy's idea because I wanted one less thing to carry. I have no worries about forgetting to recharge the screwdriver, or if I remember to bring it at all! It's all self contained. The best part is that it cost less than $2 to put together.

Mark
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
There is a Cordless Screwdriver that is sold at Wal-Mart for $ 8.88 in most stores and works very well for this effect. It is made by Black & Decker. It takes 2-AA Batteries and they last a very long time. The SPEEED of the Drill is very important as you do not want it to Slow or to Fast. This Cordless Screwdriver came highly recommended by many people and has lasted me for many year now and it is the proper speed.

Or you can contact Bruce Kalver and he sells a Screwdriver/Drill for around $ 25.00 and I believe that is plus into an AC outlet.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4575 Posts

Profile of Payne
I need the hand drill for mine as my disk is pretty big. A little over 3' in diameter. So I think it's a little heavier than your typical cordless drill can handle. Plus it just looks cool and fits into the whole Steampunk look.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21778 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I found there is a crank version being made for this prop.

http://www.magicinc.net/kaplansspiralcra......ion.aspx
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Rodney, are you using the electric screw driver with the very large spiral?

jim
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
@ Magic Jim, I use the Cordless Drill on Bruce Kalver's Version it is 15" in Diameter. If you purchase any spiral other than Bruce's you are purchasing a Knock Off as Bruce owns the Rights to this effect.

http://www.brucekalver.com Click on the Top where is says For Magicians.

Rodney

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21778 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is Bruce Kulver's store website, which list hand crank, large drill, and a Hand Held Motor. All are at reasonable prices, none are free. LOL

http://tophatprod.com/store/home.php?cat=253

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Actually Bruce doesn't own the rights to this. It is right out of a basic introduction to Psychology text book covering Gestalt psychology. It is known as Spiral after effect. I knew about this little trick back in the 60s while in college. I used to use it (using a small 9" spiral "borrowed" from the classroom) at Frat parties. It was an interesting little interlude in a mental magic show. If I had the brains that Bruce has I'd have marketed it!! Alas he has the brains and not me.

There are other interesting illusions and principles that may be used by magicians.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21778 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, the late woman magician Terry Rogers from England had a number of optical illusion tricks in her books and DVDs.

Baffling Boomerang is another from the Thayer days.

Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
@Harry Murphy,

Harry it is an Ethical Situation as Bruce was the one who made this effect Popular again. He does not own the rights per se but if you are an Ethical Person I would buy this from him. And now he has 3 sizes: Regular Size, JUMBO Size, and the New Travel Size that Folds in Half and is the same size as the Regular version he sells. I love my New Fold-In-Half one as it is no longer big and Bulky and I can fly with this one in my briefcase or carry on case.

Rodney

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If Bruce was an ethical person he'd be paying the family of the Psychologist from the 1800s that first discussed and published the thing or perhaps to the educational supply company that has been printing the thing for decades. He makes a product based on a old principle. That product was being made for decades before he decided to make a version (then several versions) and exploit it to a our small community. The product is still made and sold to schools by a company that has been doing so since the 50s (albeit in a kit containing several different scientifically based illusions). When I taught intro psychology and psychological theories of learning (university level) I must have gone through a half a dozen kits. Students kept "borrowing" various illusions to take to parties or simply to have around the house.

His genius is not to be belittled. He single handed popularized and made "magical" a pretty standard device.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Growing Shrinking head-jumbo size (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL