The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnny Paul in action,HOT,HOT,HOT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH I. JUST HAD TO SHARE.
http://youtu.be/rFZJhkTEnIo
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
So THAT'S the Johnny Paul routine! Very cool!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
A superb routine from a superb magician.
"But there isn't a door"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Johnny's cups available again at RNT2.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I liked the idea of using the sponge balls as magnetic balls, but the routine was a little confusing for my taste.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
It fooled the hell out of me the first time I saw it too.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Pete, I have just spun another 25 sets of these in steel PLUS I did 25 sets in copper. That's 150 cups all together.
The steel will be available in a couple of weeks after nickel and chrome plating, and the coppers will be available as soon as the polishing is done. I have them in copper satin finish right now: http://www.rnt2.com/johnny-paul-cups-cop......ish.html

He was a great magician. I wish I could have seen him in his element when he was in his prime.
And there are no magnets used in this routine.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Love it, I remember watching this when it was first broadcast, thanks for sharing Jon Smile Donnie, you mentioned steel and copper, are you not spinning any in foolium?

Pabloinus, I don't want to cause any friction here but Johnny didn't use magnets.

Bri
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Bri,
I know he does not use magnet, I have a set of these cups, I meant he uses the shape and the sponge balls combination as a combo cup,
Pablo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Johnny often changed and "Jazzed" his routine, depending on how the spectator reactions went. If you think his cups routine was good, you should have seen him do his routine with a specator's paper money.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Sorry to say, as for cups and balls and routines, that one didn't particularly impress me.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 18:24, Corbett wrote:
Sorry to say, as for cups and balls and routines, that one didn't particularly impress me.

I know what you mean. I guess we mid-westerners are more critical of one of our own.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't want to argue about taste, etc.; however, it's important to consider that Johnny Paul stayed employed in Las Vegas for a long time with that routine and some others similar to it. It also inspired Al Wheatley to look for a solution to what Johnny was doing.

Johnny was a bit old-fashioned to most of us, but in the long run, he knew how to impress the lay public.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have had Pete yell at me once or twice in the past for stating that I really dislike this routine. I dislike it VERY much. I just think it is BLATANTLY honest what is going on here. However, Bill is correct. (Doesn't that ever get old?) He knew how to impress the laymen....and THAT is what really matters.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Hi,
I have used Jonny Paul's routine quite a bit wether you think its good or not . I ssure you the reactions from it are outstanding! You may also like Jim Ryans routine which is very similar and may have come first ? Any one know ?
By the Way pablonious to my knowlege there are no magnets used !
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Who cares what magicians think of this routine today. The man made his living entertaining people-from Chicago to Vegas. He GTFM. Great fun routine in which he could improvise. Johnny Paul obviously was doing things right.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
When I was a boy, my dad, an amateur magician, took me to Holden's Magic Shop in Boston and bought me a set of aluminum cups. Well, I never did very much with magic back then, and the cups just sat in the attic for about 50 years. Last year, when I rediscovered magic and got hooked -- badly hooked, just ask my wife -- I displayed my childhood cups on the shelf for sentiment's sake but was eager to get some serious PF designs and get down to some serious work... yeah, you know, like REAL magic needs REAL cups.

So, this morning I'm watching this video....KABOOM!....thunder bolt! The cups I hardly thought about are JPs right down to a fraction of an inch. Amazingly, the sponge balls that came with the set are still fresh too.

What a great way to wake up! What an education!
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Love those "eyes wide open" moments. Right on!
reformed
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of reformed
I like Johnny Paul and in fact I consider him one of the very best close up magicians who ever lived. But alas I do not like this routine. It goes on and on and on. Far too long. It badly needs editing down to no more than 4 minutes and even that is too long. With rare exceptions I am not keen on cup and ball routines that last more than 3 minutes. They seem to be more for the entertainmment of the magician rather than the audience.

I actually saw him do this routine when it first came out on TV. I remember screaming at the screen begging him to finish the bloody thing. Apart from this one routine I liked him very much except for one bad habit he had of licking his fingers.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I enjoy the "...these cups are made of a new metal called Foolium..."

:)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnny Paul in action,HOT,HOT,HOT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL