The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » For Your Viewing Pleasure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
642 Posts

Profile of Inert
Some flicks to watch dealing with magic or magicians. We should maybe build a definitive list together. 10 to get us going.

A Haunting We Will Go (1942): Laurel & Hardy with Dante The Magician.

Houdini (1953): A sort of bio of Houdini. Fact & fiction mixed together. Stars Tony Curtis. A little known trivia fact that Houdini actually made a whack of films starring himself.

The Magician (1958): Directed by Igmar Bergman.

Shade (2003): Possibly the most under-estimated card magic movie ever. Check out the consultant credits too.

The Prestige (2006): Love it or hate it? There doesn't seem to be a middle ground on this 1.

The Illusionist (2006): Downright awesome imo.

Presto (2008): Funny, funny Pixar cgi short. Thumbs up!

The Illusionist (2010): Animated.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (2013): Good cast, but tanked at the box office.

Now You See Me (2013): Director Louis Leterrier's most highly rated film on the IMDB. Could be his apology for Clash of the Titans. Smile

Can't you smell that popcorn poppin' already?
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
The Hollywood Review of 1929 (1929): Laurel and Hardy play magicians. Laurel ruins all the tricks. Jack Benny also appears.

Movie Crazy (1932): Harold Lloyd. There is a scene where Lloyd accidentally switches suit coats with a magician and gets his "magic" coat.

You Said a Hatful (1934): A 2-reeler with Charley Chase. Charley winds up with a magician's top hat aboard a train.

Mixed Magic (1936): A 2-reeler with Buster Keaton. Buster plays the assistant to magician "The Great Spumoni" and ruins his tricks.

Pardon My Sarong (1942): Abbott and Costello. There is a scene where "Marco the Magician" performs a trick for William Demarest (Uncle Charlie from My Three Sons.) Then Costello pretends to be Marco's twin brother, and attempts to perform a trick for Demarest, but of course messes it up.

Lost in a Harem (1944): Abbott and Costello are magicians somewhere in the Middle East. Costello exposes to the audience the tricks that Abbott performs.
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
Lord Of Illusions (1995): Clive Barker
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Magicans (2007)
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Movies

Magic (1978) Anthony Hopkins stars as a magician/ventriloquist who may be going off the deep end

TV

The Magician (1973) Bill Bixby (yes, The Hulk) plays Anthony Blake, a very wealthy magician, who uses his talents as an illusionist and escape artist to help people in trouble.

Books

The Vanished Man by Jeffrey Deaver. A seasoned magician uses his skills to evade capture during a series of murders he commits.

Sleight of Hand by Philip Margolin. A lawyer and amateur magician uses his magic skills to aquit his guilty clients, and get away with murder.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3477 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Love these lists....

Magic, 1978... Anthony Hopkins plays a disturbed ventriloquist but starts out as a magician.

Nightmare Alley, 1947. Based on the classic novel from William Lindsey Gresham. Story of a sideshow psychic who goes for the "big time" with tragic results. Highly reccomended.

The Great Buck Howard, 2008. Funny quirky movie based on Kreskin. John Malkovich captured Kreskins mannerisms well.

Siegfried and Roy, The Magic Box, 1999. An Imax theatrical release.

Terror Train, 1980. A Slasher film with a part for David Cooperfield.

John
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3477 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
... sorry I was posting at the same time as cyperdave and dupped "Magic". I would suggest we keep this list clean to movies and possibly start other threads on books and TV shows.

Cheers

John
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3477 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
.... one more

Is Anybody There?, 2008. A touching story of an aging magician played by Michael Caine.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
642 Posts

Profile of Inert
Excellent!
Thanks Walter. That Buster Keaton short is a true find for me. I always thought he was at least the equal of Charlie Chaplin, if not superior. His shorts are better for sure. His technical movie making FX way a head of everyone else too. If you get a chance, scope out the 2011 Oscar winning animation short 'The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore.' The lead character is based on Buster. It is free & available on You Tube. For the true fan, you can't beat Kino's Keaton boxset. Harold Lloyd rocked too. The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection is sort of definitive. Sounds like you like old school, so I suggest you scan Georges Melies: First Wizard of Cinema. He actually bought & performed at Robert Houdin's theater. The movie Hugo was pretty much his bio.

I'm guessing that Lord of Illuions is creepy, being Clive Barker?

Magicians has some giggles. Pretty much covered the competition circuit if I remember right.

Dave... Is there any reason why Ann Margret never called me back? Smile Bizarre flick Magic. Bill Bixby's The Magcian, now there's some tv flash-backing.

John...you always bring something to the table. Is Nightmare Alley the 1 where he builds his own theme park? You mentioned fellow Canadian, The Amazing Kreskin. I had a public school teacher who taught him. He told me that Kreskin would raise his hand in class, stand-up & say something like "7". The class would giggle, thinkin' he was out in left field, then the teacher would crack a math book open & low & behold the solution to the pop quiz would be 7. Terror Train was bad midnight tv if I remember right. Is Anybody There was touching as you say. I also wanted to mention that our mutual Kreis has a new 1 out worth seeing called 'Coincidence'. Whatta you think of it?

Enjoy the weekend all
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2013-06-08 14:08, Inert wrote:

Thanks Walter. That Buster Keaton short is a true find for me. I always thought he was at least the equal of Charlie Chaplin, if not superior. His shorts are better for sure. His technical movie making FX way a head of everyone else too. If you get a chance, scope out the 2011 Oscar winning animation short 'The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore.' The lead character is based on Buster. It is free & available on You Tube. For the true fan, you can't beat Kino's Keaton boxset. Harold Lloyd rocked too. The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection is sort of definitive. Sounds like you like old school, so I suggest you scan Georges Melies: First Wizard of Cinema. He actually bought & performed at Robert Houdin's theater. The movie Hugo was pretty much his bio.

Inert,
Hugo was excellent.
The Keaton short is actually pretty weak compared to the rest of his output. I'm sure you've seen "Sherlock Jr." I bought the Kino set on VHS back when it first came out in 1995. I was really into my movie collecting at the time, and missed out on all the great Magic Works items that were coming out, though I did by 3 of the first 6 that came out in 1994. I have most of Lloyd's feature films as well. Although it has nothing to do with magic, my favorite of his is "Why Worry?"
Of the 3 silent comedy film geniuses, I'd give Keaton the nod for feature films, and Chaplin the nod for shorts based on his unparalleled Mutual series, which are still amazingly fresh and funny today.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Quote:
I would suggest we keep this list clean to movies and possibly start other threads on books and TV shows.

As there haven't been a whole lot of movies involving magic, and in fact, we've pretty much exhausted the lot already, let's continue to open the thread to other media (not that there's been a lot of those, either):

Aside from the previous 'The Magician', there is also an excellent TV series (available on DVD) called 'Jonathan Creek'. It deals with a man who creates illusions for a David Copperfield type magician, whose expertise is tapped to solve impossible crimes.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Oliver The Eighth (1934): Three-reeler starring Laurel and Hardy. Jack Barty does the "Invisible Deck" routine, without ever producing a real deck, though.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
What a great post Inert! Thanks! All the good movies have been mentioned so I have nothing to add I'm afraid ... .
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
642 Posts

Profile of Inert
Hi Killer & thanks. What's your fav from the list?

More to add. Sight unseen thou. Going by word of mouth only as to these 2 being good.

The Geisha Boy (1968) starring Jerry Lewis.

Scoop (2006) a Woody Allen flick.

CyberDave...totally faked me out with 'Jonathan Creek'. I know absolutely nothing about it. Any good? Interesting concept.
tcrufus
View Profile
New user
Pacific Northwest
52 Posts

Profile of tcrufus
These are all great!
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Ok all my magic friends..... checked into net flix this morning,,, low and behold in the sci fi section is a 1922 move starring Harry Houdni in" The man from beyond". Hardest part is having to read all the captions,,, one of harry's produced movies. poor guy was frozen on a ship and discovered by adventuring scientist 100 years later,,, they thaw him out and help him search his past love... this is wild seeing Harry Houdini in action on the screen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » For Your Viewing Pleasure (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL