The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Info on cuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I recently recieved a box of miscallaneous Magic most without instructions and I found thease Handcuffs.If they are trick cuffs,...they have me stumped.Anyone know anything about them?

Click here to view attached image.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
They are not trick cuffs per se. In my home town of new York, the cops called them "toy cuffs." They do lock, and the lever on the front is half ***ed double lock. They can picked with almost any small thin object. They are also older, as the modern ones have quick release levers that make them useless.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-06-08 00:24, Cliffg37 wrote:
is half ***ed double lock.

what's this mean Cliff??
I am not good at crossword either
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Here is a drawing of the inside of the cuff. Anything small enough inserted to lift the blue lever will open the cuff. I use wooden match sticks, the disgard them.

Click here to view attached image.
james_unlimited
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
223 Posts

Profile of james_unlimited
http://www.blacksteel.com/hcs/index.cgi?......tart=484

They look a bit too shiny to be the above. would have been a nice find though.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-06-08 08:20, Ian McColl wrote:
Here is a drawing of the inside of the cuff. Anything small enough inserted to lift the blue lever will open the cuff. I use wooden match sticks, the disgard them.

So I may be showing my naivety but what's the point of a double lock that can be turned on and off with the flick of a leaver? Couldn't the prisoner take the double lock off tighten the cuff, put it back on and then claim 'abuse'? And it being double locked isn't going to be stopping one popping the double lock off and shi***ng the cuff off!!! (Ian you said you're not good at crosswords so I'll add an extra clue .... it is NOT the past tense for taking a poo!)...... Would the "past tense of pooing" help get a cuff off? May be if it was runny you could use it as a lubricant to help slip it? Hey it worked for Andy Dufresne in Shawshank! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

If anyone can answer what the point is I would be very interested to know.

Also if I have offended anyone or grossed anyone out by linking faeces with a lubricant I do apologise. I can't see it grossing anyone out too much unless they were eating a Marmite (or vegemite) or chocolate spread sandwich at the time! Sorry if I did.

PS I do realise that 'shi**ing' may not be an option with this type of cuff. The one I have can't be shimmed (although that could be in-competence on my behalf!)!!!!!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:

So I may be showing my naivety but what's the point of a double lock that can be turned on and off with the flick of a leaver? Couldn't the prisoner take the double lock off tighten the cuff, put it back on and then claim 'abuse'? And it being double locked isn't going to be stopping one popping the double lock off and shi***ng the cuff off!!! (Ian you said you're not good at crosswords so I'll add an extra clue

You are right Dave, the lever on the outside of the cuff will turn the inner piece to double lock (restrict the upward movement) of the lever, or turned away allow room for the lever to rise. This has been the same design on all models after the original Japanese Takeda design from the 1940's.

I guess the reasoning is this; in a normal ratchet handcuff, if it is not double locked, it can be shimmed. As the star (pin) wheel design cannot be shimmed there is not lessing of the security. Double locking this type of mechanism, is only an advantage of comfort afforded to the prisoner. If the prisoner turns the lever, then the cuff can tighten. If the suspect doesn't want the added pain, they would leave it alone.

As to your other theory..........Dave you are a bad bad man. vegemite is always better than marmite. To test out your other theory of lubbing a wrist, you would have to ask someone with experience of Mr Hankey adventures
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Mmmmm why us Vegemite better than Marmite I have never tried Vegemite? I live about 7 miles from the home of Marmite and if the wind is blowing from the north west we can smell it - well we can smell the waste products of brewing (same difference really).

On the Mr Hankey reference - I had to check who Mr H was - would another character from the show be able to help? Say Bug Al?
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I tried a jar of Vegemite once.Sorry Ian, in my house Marmite is the winner. Now you shoud try Cadbury's chocolate - best in the world! If you can't get it, let me know and I'll send you some.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Mick, Cadbury was okay but now it's US owned. Now we get the spin.
Cadbury block was 250 grams weight, then it dropped with the new ownership to 200 grams. Now they advertise, get 10% more Joyville. The bars are now 220 grams, so I have still been ripped off 30 grams. Vegemite puts hair on your chest!!! Also good for greasing your car.

Dave, Bug Al is also escape artist
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-06-08 20:22, Ian McColl wrote:
Quote:

So I may be showing my naivety but what's the point of a double lock that can be turned on and off with the flick of a leaver? Couldn't the prisoner take the double lock off tighten the cuff, put it back on and then claim 'abuse'? And it being double locked isn't going to be stopping one popping the double lock off and shi***ng the cuff off!!! (Ian you said you're not good at crosswords so I'll add an extra clue

You are right Dave, the lever on the outside of the cuff will turn the inner piece to double lock (restrict the upward movement) of the lever, or turned away allow room for the lever to rise. This has been the same design on all models after the original Japanese Takeda design from the 1940's.

I guess the reasoning is this; in a normal ratchet handcuff, if it is not double locked, it can be shimmed. As the star (pin) wheel design cannot be shimmed there is not lessing of the security. Double locking this type of mechanism, is only an advantage of comfort afforded to the prisoner. If the prisoner turns the lever, then the cuff can tighten. If the suspect doesn't want the added pain, they would leave it alone.

Plus, if the cuffs are applied behind the prisoner's back (standard procedure) he might not even know the levers are there, making a half-baked attempt at picking or using a duplicate key that much more frustrating.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I tried Vegemite once.
If I ever decide I want that taste again, I'll just pour salt in my mouth. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 17:23, Steve_Mollett wrote:
I'll just pour salt in my mouth. Smile

so, so many jokes spawned................
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Info on cuffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL