The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Finding Agents (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Mindpro, now if they are an ex entertainer that once played for a while, yes usually its fine, but the ones that are active or semi active are the ones I speak of in my experience.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Don't contact agents and sit on your butt waiting for your phone to ring. If you want local gigs make contact with all the local agents then send post cards to cub scout packs, day care centers, parks commissioners, municipal authorities, Summer camps, over 55 housing, shopping malls. Place an ad in a local parents news paper. Keep a pencil and paper by your phone, and answer it on the first or second ring.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hear all the time from our guys how great it is having a performers perspective working for them.

Often I do not return ohone calls or emails. It has nothing to do with being a performer. It is sime time management. If you return every ohone call and every email is answered and every promo packet is reviewed you have no time to do your job. I know what I am looking for and I know what will and will not work.

If I spend 10 minutes a day talking to the 30 people every day just wanting to say whatever that is 5 hours out of my day. Now spend some more time with email and it is 6 1/2 hours gone. Wasted on things I know full well are not productive. Now add to this going over a mountain of promo stuff. Oh and occasional update email and it can be all day and you have not accomplished a thing.

I have found performers who complain about this just do not understand how things like this add up. Just my experience. As an agent the job is not to assuage an ego. It is to get them work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
DannyDoyle,

Big agency or very busy agency same to create time management for such. They send out letters, emails and phone calls.

Just my experience, maybe some people don't have the man power for such, but my experience has been very well with main-stream agency.
Also, when they are interest in working with you, they send a letter of proposal outlining the situation and asking you to accept the job.

They even send a rep out to meet you prior to the performance and conference call you in with the client etc.

But, Al did mention a few good points on getting work for the type of gigs the original poster is interested in.

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 11:40pm
Here an example of an older letter from an agent, when we submitted stuff.

Hi Curtis,

Many thanks for the message and including all your links.

I did forward your message to xxx, the Owner and Director of xxx Entertainment (xxx).

Xxxx, who also is a Musical/Entertainment Director for xxxxx Cruises, is currently opening up the last of their 5 new "Solstice Class" ships and will be returning to the UK on the 13th January.

He will be in touch personally on his return.

For future reference, I would also like to advise you of our email address: xxxx

I would like to take this opportunity in wishing you a very Happy New Year and look forward to speaking with you again in due course.

Best Wishes
Sxxxx
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 22:40, Al Angello wrote:
Don't contact agents and sit on your butt waiting for your phone to ring. If you want local gigs make contact with all the local agents then send post cards to cub scout packs, day care centers, parks commissioners, municipal authorities, Summer camps, over 55 housing, shopping malls. Place an ad in a local parents news paper. Keep a pencil and paper by your phone, and answer it on the first or second ring.


Right on AL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So it is a form letter. Good.

A far cry from talking with every person who wants a little bit of your time.

Hut really big companies may very well work that way. Not being one and not working for one I have no idea. The vast majority of agents or planners or whatever you call them are not big at all.

Fantastic if this is your experience. Performers think they are the center of the universe. If it is more important to you to have someone make you feel that way cool. Then you find an agency willing to take the time and money to do so. If you don't care and having someone who spends that time working for you instead is ok then you go with that.

This has nothing to do with anyone having been a performer and everything to do with how people choose to run a business. Work with some college agents and cruise ship agents. They flat out tell you not to call and ask about your promo. Some college and comedy club agents I know have everyone check in on Mondays to make sure they are where they need to be. Everyone has a method that works for THEM. If a performer needs their ego stroked differently they go where that can be done.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Danny the above letter doesn't seem to be a form letter. I did xxx the names and emails etc out myself. But it seems to tailored to the current situation.
I have many letters responses from agents and many letters of request for booking from agents/clients.

I don't think It is about having an ego stroke, it is about the proper and polite way of doing business. I think entertainers have been rejected so much my improper agencies/clients. They think it is the norm to conduct business in that lines. So when they start agencies it rubs off.

Again, you response just outlines why there is a huge difference between entertainers running an agency and a person who has created an agency or worked as an agent as a career path.


An example of a letter of request from a marketing company...

Hello!

My name is Ria and I work for an event marketing company in New York City. We’re interested in hiring Curtis Lovell for a one day PR stunt for one of our clients in Times Square. Unfortunately, I can’t reveal who the client is at this point, but I’m hoping you can provide me with the cost and details of hiring him for such an event.

Please feel free to check out our company online. Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
Ria

----------------------------------------
Ria xxx
Account Coordinator
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No curtis it shows no such thing. It really shows how little you know about how to run MY business. See I would rather take the money it costs to stroke every ego and give it to the peoe we work with. I would rather spend time finding guys more work than trying to stroke the ego of people we will never use.

See as a performer you don't you derstand the concept that I know my particular market far better than you. I know exactly what is needed. Answering every phone call and email is time consuming and pointless. If your particular act (Mind you I am not saying you specifically but you generally here.)does not fit for what is needed then it is less than worthless to me. To another person it is worth its weight in gold. Both are right.

Spending time to talk with every act is just not possible. It has nothing to do with being a performer. It has to do with us being in a VERY specialised market and knowimg what is needed specifically. You can't grasp that because you simpmy do not umderstand what we do specifically. It is not about being a performer.

Plus do you think every person who submits anything should get a response? If you say yes that pre supposes that everyone who submits is able to do the job equal. You know that is not true. So there is a line. You equate that line with a performer being in charge. In reality it is not.

Plus if you spend all that time talking with performers when do you talk to clients?

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 10:44am
You show a letter from a PR company looking to hire you.

You are comparing apples and hand grenades.

You have your experience. Good for you. It isn't anywhere near universal.

It is important when looking to work with people as clients or agents that you know how to work with them. Making the mistake of thinking there is a norm or any relevance from one to another can be costly.

If you need to be constantly updated or need letters or whatever then you work with people who provide that for you. But do not expect that from every person you deal with. Remember unfortunately there are more performers than there are guys providing good work. It is a buyers market. The job will get done. Thatis the bottom line.

There are limits as to how you should allow people to deal with you. But be careful where and when you draw that line. If an agent is talking to you he is not talking to clients to find you work. He is not making you money by talking to you. Ever.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I don't see it stroking an ego. It is not about having an ego or stroking an ego. It is how business is ran in the real world. If I send a letter to any company, they reply back. If I receive a letter, I reply back.
You may have a system that works for you and I really don't know too much about you or your company except what you just stated in this thread. I think it is about a working relationship.

I once went to a magic conference, where a guy use to be a magician and he started his agency, he said that if you don't send him a letter or a phone call before prior to sending a promo packet, he throws it straight into the trash. I find that a bit odd. I notice other similar things with agencies ran by entertainers. Just my viewpoint. I was not saying anything about you directly. Although you verified my point with a few of your remarks.

I even had an agent who sent me a letter stating, that I wasn't ready for their company, however here are a few things to work on and urged me to resubmit. This was many years ago. Now, she has sent me all around the world and it is a win - win situation for all parties.

I know of a few companies just sends postcards stating that they have received such info, but more often I get personal letters and phone calls. I even got a phone call from one agent in SD who merged her company with a large agency and production company and said, I need to come down for lunch and meet the entire new team of people. Although, I have been working with her for 6 years.
I just don't get the agencies that are cattle call companies. I know a few like that. One in Vegas, the owner always cattle calls her performers in to auditions for each MAJOR client and then she offers you a job, then she states well xxx will do it for this amount. Not all agents are good and bad. I think it is best for an entertainer to main stream and find what works best for them.

Also, we need agents and agents needs us. There are a few venues or clients that will only work through an agent to book you. I have met some people at events or received calls asking if I would work through their agent. So many different situations and personalities in this world.

Again, this is not a personal attack on your company Danny, because I don't even know who you really are at this point except what you have revealed on threads... Just my experiences.

Cheers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You say it is not an attack yet you attack. Yes you are right. You have no clue what we really do.

If you don't need agents don't use them. In many venues you have no choice.

In the end the burdon is to satisfy the client. Personally I would rather spend my time having lunch with them and returning their phone calls. You use terms lime the real world as if there is one way things are done. I guess I will live in my own not so real world.

Whatever works for you go for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Please note, I never brought you into this conversation, you assumed I was speaking about you. I didn't know you were an "agent." I also, said my experience with agency ran by entertainers. I didn't proclaim that all were a pain. lol
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Curtis you have sent me a PM before asking if we used your type of act. Odd how you would not know.

Mindpro runs one as well.

You speak in generalities about the real world and such.

As I said earlier people need to find out how to deal with people as people. Not in sweeping generalities.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes but, I thought you worked for the hotel(s), didn't know you were an agent. That was about 5-6 years ago. Wow time flys!
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 10:41, Dannydoyle wrote:

Plus if you spend all that time talking with performers when do you talk to clients?

But, you spend lots of time on the Café which are entertainers and you have over 14k of posts! lol....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And done.

Thank you for showing all you are interested in are attacks. Now we all can see it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I said:
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 18:35, magicofCurtis wrote:
There are different type of personalities of agents.
I find that agents that are not and were not entertainers are the best ones to work with.
They are kind, they return calls and they encourage receiving promo packets and they often meet with you once-twice a year for lunch to catch up. Plus, when you send something to their office they notify you receipt of such. Also, a good agent meets you or sends someone to the event to introduce you to the client and gets the show going. Smile

Entertainers that are agents, I found that they tend to not respond to emails, phone calls and complain about receiving promo packets.
I am sure there are a few exception, just sharing my experience.

You said:
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 23:01, Dannydoyle wrote:

Often I do not return ohone calls or emails. It has nothing to do with being a performer. It is sime time management. If you return every ohone call and every email is answered and every promo packet is reviewed you have no time to do your job. I know what I am looking for and I know what will and will not work.

I have found performers who complain about this just do not understand how things like this add up. Just my experience. As an agent the job is not to assuage an ego. It is to get them work.

And I showed a letter from an agent that replies that is not an entertainer and I showed a letter from a PR company. (I have many others too)

See the difference between the two?
Not saying one is bad or one is better, but I prefer the non-entertainer agents/companies.

So again,
I find that agents that are not and were not entertainers are the best ones to work with.
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 10:44, Dannydoyle wrote:

Remember unfortunately there are more performers than there are guys providing good work. It is a buyers market. The job will get done. Thatis the bottom line.

Non- entertainer agencies that I have worked with, does not see it this way. If they see a quality act that fits within the needs of their client they want, that's the act for their client.
Agents view their entertainers as clients as well! Because once a good act leaves an agent because of silliness the agent may no longer have access to them and when a client wants that act.... They could lose the sale!...

Danny
Its America, feel free to run your company anyway you wish,

But, I was simply pointing out the difference in THE AGENTS EGO! Smile and you pointed out the difference in entertainers EGO! Although, I don't think its ego what you stated, but more lines of proper business practices.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10143 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Man, I'm away for a day or two and all hell breaks loose. This just goes to show the many, many misconceptions about agents and agencies. Most entertainers have little or no working knowledge of working with agencies and the inner workings of agencies. I always get a kick out of those that give advice here, as much of it is some if the poorest professional advice in on the entire Café.

Many seem to think because they work with one or two local agencies that they have a working knowledge of agents and agencies, they don't. There are many things insider's know that are NEVER discussed here or in most other performer boards. There are local agencies that operate much differently than regional, national and international agencies. Agencies that book solely or mostly kids and family entertainment operate as a local with minimal true agency standards of operations.

The misinformation from performers thinking they understand this is crazy. I always get a kick out of the sending or soliciting to agencies. It's so one dimensional from the performers perspective (that they think they know, from an artist or ego-based perspective, and RARELY ever from the agencies true perspectives). For example to listen to everyone here you must solicit or submit to agencies (often and repeatedly, have a web site and social media, etc.). This is probably in reality only the third typical and possible way agencies get acts and artists on their roster. The #1 and #2 ways probably make up 85-90% of an agencies roster, and the submissions making up only 5-10%. It's crazy as those that think they know here, would lead you to believe that submitting and contacting agencies is the main way to do so.

Curtis can think what he wants based on his own experience, but just because it has been his experience in no way makes it the standard, norm or typical. It's not. I have had the extremely rare and unique position to work directly with over 150 agencies worldwide, in a capacity which I am almost certain is unlike any single other member anywhere on this board. I've had a very rare opportunity that I've only seen exist maybe three or four times in 38 years. From this unique experience, I can tell you what is true insider's insight and what is performers misconceptions. Curtis is way off based on the majority of these agencies. Most of his perspective is actually opposite from the actual normal workings of these agencies. But if it works for him, that is really great.

My concern is those like the OP that truly don't know, that may take this advice or perspectives as the norm. No most agents will not go out and meet with you, this is ridiculous. No most agents do not want to read emails, visit web sites, watch demos, and return messages or emails. In reality most agents DON'T need you. If they do, they will find you without the need for solicitation.

Danny has provided more real-workings than I would have mentioned, and then for some reason gets grief for it. I often get the feeling that many here really do not want to hear the truth, but rather what they want to hear or the general consensus, whether right or wrong.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 22:40, Al Angello wrote:
Don't contact agents and sit on your butt waiting for your phone to ring. If you want local gigs make contact with all the local agents then send post cards to cub scout packs, day care centers, parks commissioners, municipal authorities, Summer camps, over 55 housing, shopping malls. Place an ad in a local parents news paper. Keep a pencil and paper by your phone, and answer it on the first or second ring.

While I am done with this nonsense I didn't want to forget this.

In my opinion this is the single absolute best piece of advice given in this thread. Especially the first sentence. It is the most rational down to earth advice and needs to be heeded. Al hits the nail on the head and as far as the OP goes this is pure gold.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 22:21, Mindpro wrote:
Man, I'm away for a day or two and all hell breaks loose. This just goes to show the many, many misconceptions about agents and agencies. Most entertainers have little or no working knowledge of working with agencies and the inner workings of agencies. I always get a kick out of those that give advice here, as much of it is some if the poorest professional advice in on the entire Café.

Many seem to think because they work with one or two local agencies that they have a working knowledge of agents and agencies, they don't. There are many things insider's know that are NEVER discussed here or in most other performer boards. There are local agencies that operate much differently than regional, national and international agencies. Agencies that book solely or mostly kids and family entertainment operate as a local with minimal true agency standards of operations.

The misinformation from performers thinking they understand this is crazy. I always get a kick out of the sending or soliciting to agencies. It's so one dimensional from the performers perspective (that they think they know, from an artist or ego-based perspective, and RARELY ever from the agencies true perspectives). For example to listen to everyone here you must solicit or submit to agencies (often and repeatedly, have a web site and social media, etc.). This is probably in reality only the third typical and possible way agencies get acts and artists on their roster. The #1 and #2 ways probably make up 85-90% of an agencies roster, and the submissions making up only 5-10%. It's crazy as those that think they know here, would lead you to believe that submitting and contacting agencies is the main way to do so.

Curtis can think what he wants based on his own experience, but just because it has been his experience in no way makes it the standard, norm or typical. It's not. I have had the extremely rare and unique position to work directly with over 150 agencies worldwide, in a capacity which I am almost certain is unlike any single other member anywhere on this board. I've had a very rare opportunity that I've only seen exist maybe three or four times in 38 years. From this unique experience, I can tell you what is true insider's insight and what is performers misconceptions. Curtis is way off based on the majority of these agencies. Most of his perspective is actually opposite from the actual normal workings of these agencies. But if it works for him, that is really great.

My concern is those like the OP that truly don't know, that may take this advice or perspectives as the norm. No most agents will not go out and meet with you, this is ridiculous. No most agents do not want to read emails, visit web sites, watch demos, and return messages or emails. In reality most agents DON'T need you. If they do, they will find you without the need for solicitation.

Danny has provided more real-workings than I would have mentioned, and then for some reason gets grief for it. I often get the feeling that many here really do not want to hear the truth, but rather what they want to hear or the general consensus, whether right or wrong.


Robinn, Yes we can only speak from our experiences!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1194 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Dan is mostly looking to book local gigs and pick up extra work, not work with these big agencies. I had a local agency for 10 years and booked mostly family oriented entertainers, lots of magicians, clowns, etc. I also knew the other agents in town. It was pretty simple really, at least where I was. Contact the agents by phone or email, ask them what they want, and give it to them. Be very polite, confident, and professional. Sell yourself without being egotistical. They will probably want to see a demo video or may even go out to see you at a gig, many want references, and they may or may not want to meet you in person. They may want a package of print materials, or they may be happy to look at your website and just start booking you. As an agent, it was frequently a problem to find reliable people who were available, fit the budget of the client, quality act, and not a pain to deal with. We did need people like that and always were happy to find them. Many entertainers were a pain, so be professional and have a really good act and you'll be fine.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-06-13 00:24, danfreed wrote:
Dan is mostly looking to book local gigs and pick up extra work, not work with these big agencies. I had a local agency for 10 years and booked mostly family oriented entertainers, lots of magicians, clowns, etc. I also knew the other agents in town. It was pretty simple really, at least where I was. Contact the agents by phone or email, ask them what they want, and give it to them. Be very polite, confident, and professional. Sell yourself without being egotistical. They will probably want to see a demo video or may even go out to see you at a gig, many want references, and they may or may not want to meet you in person. They may want a package of print materials, or they may be happy to look at your website and just start booking you. As an agent, it was frequently a problem to find reliable people who were available, fit the budget of the client, quality act, and not a pain to deal with. We did need people like that and always were happy to find them. Many entertainers were a pain, so be professional and have a really good act and you'll be fine.


Another brilliant post. Perfect and to the point. Absolutely spot on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Finding Agents (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL