The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Who has David Regal's "Translocations" set - I have questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1461 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I just received a set of these gaffs today, and I have an issue with the "China Bit" coin. The tolerance of my coin is such that the coin has a lot of "talk." When I handle it, or turn it over, there is an audible noise because the inset has enough "play" to "clink" against the sides of the shell.

Is this common? And if it is, how have you dealt with this noise? Do you have handling tips? Or did I just get a badly made gaff?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2911 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I have the set and just checked the "China Bit" coin.. Mine does not talk and has very very little movement.
I'd say your gaff was made incorrectly or just bit off.
Contact David Regal, maybe he can do something for you.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5311 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mine is pretty tight Al. No discernible movement and it is quiet.

Jim
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I once had a Chinese Bit from another maker that was so poorly made it virtually "snapped" into place!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of shakuni
I ordered one a few days ago. It should reach me in a week. Then I will confirm.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1585 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
The set I had (and sold here on the Café) was very well made and didn't move or talk. I wouldn't have sold it but I had bought a Lassen Walking Liberty China Bit and I didn't need it anymore.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2021 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Mine has very little play. If I try I can make it clink a little bit.

I bought it here but don't recall who from, so it may be the same one Banzai had.

Emailing you a pic of it mouth up.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Banzai - how much was the Walker set?
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 19:44, inigmntoya wrote:
Mine has very little play. If I try I can make it clink a little bit.

I bought it here but don't recall who from, so it may be the same one Banzai had.

Emailing you a pic of it mouth up.

I got your picture... thanks.

If I place my coin on the table (or close up pad) post side up... and touch the insert lightly with my finger, I get a slight metal on metal sound. If I turn it over I get a metal on metal sound UNLESS I pinch it tightly with my fingers. The English penny gaff is fine (and really nicely made). There's not problem there. And the "Chinese" coin doesn't "talk" at all Smile

David Regal has been very helpful in regards to offering to refund the set, or replace the Chinea Bit coin... but I just wanted to run this by Café members just to make sure I'm not being overly critical.

From what I am reading above... I think I need to return my coin for a replacement.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1585 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 19:48, inigmntoya wrote:

$290
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 10:22, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 19:48, inigmntoya wrote:

$290

And that was for what coins? Just the China Bit coin? I spoke to Todd the other day and he's not making these right now... so that's why I went with the Regal set for the time being.

I did mail the coin back to David this morning. I told him if he thought the coin was defective, then replace it, if not send it back. I'll be really disappointed if it turns out that the coin I got is the best I can get from him right now.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1585 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
And that was for what coins? Just the China Bit coin? I spoke to Todd the other day and he's not making these right now... so that's why I went with the Regal set for the time being.

China Bit coin gaff and matching Miracle Enjoyment Chinese coin. The Walkers were more expensive than the Kennedy CBs (because they are supposedly more "fussy" to make). He implied on his blog that the half dollar size were harder to make than he thought they would be. That may explain why he won't be making more for a while.

Incidentally, although Todd was not specific with what his problems were in making the Walker CB and why it was more expensive, I've heard that the reverse of Walking Libertys are hard to work with from Mark Mason (in the context of why they won't make a Walking Liberty Miracle Coin Unique).

Alan
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 22:19, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:

China Bit coin gaff and matching Miracle Enjoyment Chinese coin. The Walkers were more expensive than the Kennedy CBs (because they are supposedly more "fussy" to make). He implied on his blog that the half dollar size were harder to make than he thought they would be. That may explain why he won't be making more for a while.

Incidentally, although Todd was not specific with what his problems were in making the Walker CB and why it was more expensive, I've heard that the reverse of Walking Libertys are hard to work with from Mark Mason (in the context of why they won't make a Walking Liberty Miracle Coin Unique).

Alan

Well... at this point I would be happy with just a decent Kennedy China Bit... that's the reason for my purchase of the David Regal set. I'm not really interested in whole sets with various coins for a whole routine... I would be thrilled to get a decent China Bit alone... any version... as long as it's well made. I have my own ideas for the coin in other contexts.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1585 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
The CB I sold to Inigmntoya (love that name - loved the character from The Princess Bride) was very serviceable for me (not quite as good as my Lassen CB, but not noisy at all). I'm glad he posted here and sent you the picture of my old gaff.

You seem to be a reasonable fellow, Walter. I don't think you would be complaining unless there really was a problem with your gaff. Regal should see it the same way and make it right for you. I have heard he is a decent fellow.

Good luck.

Alan
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of shakuni
I received my set and had the same issue. There was a very slight wobble. I think this was because the CB shell was not 100% flat. To fix the issue, I applied two layers of transparent tape on one side of [, and it works perfect now!
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 23:17, BanzaiMagic wrote:
The CB I sold to Inigmntoya (love that name - loved the character from The Princess Bride) was very serviceable for me (not quite as good as my Lassen CB, but not noisy at all). I'm glad he posted here and sent you the picture of my old gaff.

You seem to be a reasonable fellow, Walter. I don't think you would be complaining unless there really was a problem with your gaff. Regal should see it the same way and make it right for you. I have heard he is a decent fellow.

Good luck.

Alan

I did return it... David looked the gaff over... he agreed that it had a lot of talk... he has sent me a new one... should be here today.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1585 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Good to know David is taking care of you.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Arrived today and it has quieted down nicely.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7051 Posts

Profile of bowers
David is excellent to deal with.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Glad you got it squared away
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Who has David Regal's "Translocations" set - I have questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL