The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Crusade - A Mind Reader's ACAAN (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..23~24~25 [Next]
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5326 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
A definite "No" here. I much prefer the written instructions. Besides, the script really HAD to be written, unless there are folks out there who like to memorize the basics and flow of a script from a DVD.

Thanks!

Jim

Quote:
On 2013-08-11 13:34, a brown 1968 wrote:
I am on vacation in the Cech Republic with my family .

I am so pleased to be able to pop onto the Café and read
Crusade is still finding new devotees .

Asking a question to those who have purchased
crusade .. Would they have preferred if it had sold
As a DVD instead ?

Andrew
rgnprof
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of rgnprof
While I have not piped in yet, I slso love this effect (as stated in another thread, I frequently feel 'underqualified' to comment on effects, considering all the experience and expertise on this forum). But, I have spent the better part of the last 2 years getting caught up in the field - after a 25 year hiatus. Magic books/manuscripts purchased and read within the past 2 years - 50, maybe a 100 - psychology/philosohpy books purchased and read - 2, maybe 3 (ok, maybe I exaggerate a little, but you get the point). I have read a lot of very good stuff in that time and this effect is at, or near the top. Everything seems justified and the effect 'feels' right...I have found that I connect - psychologically - to certain effects better than others and am convinced that my performance ability is predicated by how well an effect fits me at that level. Interestingly, even though I 'technically' can perform some routines/moves better than others, those are not always the ones that resonate with my audience. Again, I'm speaking from limited, recent performances...

But, what really got me to post was Andrew's question regarding the DVD. I emphatically concur with RNK and Jim above - I, for one, enjoy a good read and since I am not a full-time performer, I get tired of looking up DVD's to remind myself of the intricacies of a particular routine. I find myself making notes and cataloging all my effects....nothing wrong with DVD's, I just wish they all came with written instructions.

I just received the bonus PDF, but haven't had a chance to look through it yet...I like the original thinking so well I don't really want to clutter up my thinking...

Ryan
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3174 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I think there is much more chance of developing your own variation of an effect when you have learned it from a manuscript, so that would definitely be my preference. It would be nice, however, to have a private link to a video of either Andrew or Atlas performing the routine- if only for the sake of posterity!
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
257 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 17:07, Martin Pulman wrote:
I think there is much more chance of developing your own variation of an effect when you have learned it from a manuscript, so that would definitely be my preference. It would be nice, however, to have a private link to a video of either Andrew or Atlas performing the routine- if only for the sake of posterity!

Totally agree, while I don't think an instructional DVD was necessary for this amazing routine, a link to a performance is always helpful, in that it gives you an instant feel and rapport with the words you are reading..
Nathaniel
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Nathaniel
I support this idea, a private link to a performance video would be very nice!
"Stories are told to kids to make them sleep, and are told to adults to wake them up" (Jorge Bucay)

Emotional Imprints
The Sticky Head Game
Influence
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3676 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I definitely prefer it in manuscript form over a DVD. I'm dying to see the supplement also.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
The new supplement to this is great. Lar's tweaked handling has some killer touches. Superb.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3676 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Lars handling is fantastic.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 17:18, Nathaniel wrote:
I support this idea, a private link to a performance video would be very nice!

I would also really appreciate this. I think it would help me alot.
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Cheers MatCult and Fin, I'm glad you liked my handling. Suffice it to say if you play Poker and you perform this for your Poker friends you'll need to start looking for some new Poker friends Smile

I'm thrilled that Atlas & Andrew included my handling. For me it's such an enjoyable piece to perform because it really engages the participants, has no setup, can use a borrowed deck, is completely baffling and has a killer ending.

By far this is the best effect I've purchased this year.

Best wishes,
Lar.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Lar, I finally had a chance to read your handling. I think it's great. You polished a great effect and made it even greater. Thanks for your contribution.
Steve
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
842 Posts

Profile of nique
Lar's handling "High Anxiety" handling with the poker presentation is really excellent. Thanks for sharing Lar!

~ Nique
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Most likely everyone who has read this thread has probably already purchased this but if not and your still on the fence about getting this, DON'T BE, GET THIS. I received the new supplement a few days ago and just read the Lars handling, haven't read further yet, and it is fantastic. Great job, Lars.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
For those who have Crusade, here is a quick additional handling if you want a quick card handling version . the trade off is it requires some sleight of hand .

Not time yet to write a premise or script but here is the handling

After spectator 1 has thought of her card .

Take the deck and do a table false cut . My recommendation would be the OSE three pile cut .

Pick up the deck ..

Do a DL leaving the card face up on top of the deck .. The spectators see say a JH ... Turn the double faced down and take what is thought to be the JH and insert it say 3 cards from the bottom of the deck you hold ..

Explain how you can wish a card to be in any position and as an example say the JH will rise to the top , Pause for a moment and turn over the top card.. It is the JH .

Turn the JH face down

The above has served two purposes , time misdirection from when the card and number are thought of and also the deck is now in position for the finale and set up in full view .

Hand the deck to the spectator who has the thought of the number .. Guide him through the OSE triple table cut . This provides symmetry to your own actions and also leaves the spectators thinking they have just given their deck a triple cut mixing the cards

As the spectator to name his number allowed .. He calls out 14 and deals down to the 14th card . The spectator who is thinking of the card calls out her card. She says 5S

She turns over the card she is holding and it is the 5S

This applies the Crusade principles in the more traditional ACAAN effect where the number and card are called out . With this version this is only done when the deck is in the spectators hands and not before and you do not touch the deck again .

Andrew
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Lar's

Your poker handling is exceptional , ideal for an audience who wish to see a gambling themed effect .

Andrew
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Andrew, Maybe I'm missing something and I'd love to know what others think but for me you're taking a beautiful mental mystery and making it into a magic trick.
Steve
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
257 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 17:34, Steve Suss wrote:
Andrew, Maybe I'm missing something and I'd love to know what others think but for me you're taking a beautiful mental mystery and making it into a magic trick.
Steve

Have to agree,
Over-complicating for what purpose...but we are all different...Thankfully
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hello Steve ,

I fully understand what you are saying and I only ever use
Crusade in the original version I created .

This handling was to demonstrate that if a person was not
Happy with the mentalist premise and was use to the original
acaan , then Crusade could be adapted to fit their requirements .

Andrew
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3864 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 17:34, Steve Suss wrote:
Steve

I couldn't agree more. But - also following the supplements - thinking about possibilities to incorporate a mem..zed and ma..ed deck could add at least something without changing the presentation or plot. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3676 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Personally I will use elements of Lars handling but keep the mind reading premise rather than the poker theme. I absolutely love this effect. I can't remember the last time a single effect got my juices flowing the way this one does.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Crusade - A Mind Reader's ACAAN (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL