The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Crusade - A Mind Reader's ACAAN (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..23~24~25 [Next]
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3866 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I think you are right. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hello Glen

I am sorry that we lost touch, for you have been a brilliant sounding boards for ideas and effects I have created . I shall try and rectify this situation over the coming months . Good to read you are going to enjoy performing Crusade , it has come along way since I first jotted down the basic idea .

Hi Jan

Great to read you are always looking to take an effect and see what you can do with it , looking forward to hearing further suggestions in the future. My mind set when putting Crusade together was being given a borrowed , mangled incomplete deck shuffled deck and asked to entertain a small group of people . If I was holding the deck you mentioned , then I suspect a totally different effect would been created .

Thanks Mark for weighing up the pros and cons of both .. The more information potential customers have , the better they can see if Crusade is for them

Andrew
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3866 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Andrew, as I stated, wonderful creation! I am back with the original Smile... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Grail Quest
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Grail Quest
Does the presentation have to modern & focused on the participants? Or could it work with an antique deck where the Cards themselves are seen to be Magical?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 12:30, Grail Quest wrote:
Does the presentation have to modern & focused on the participants? Or could it work with an antique deck where the Cards themselves are seen to be Magical?

That's a great question but one that is difficult for me to answer.

This is based around the participants because of the procedure require to achieve the effect. If you can find a different way to justify the procedure without it focusing on the volunteer, then you definitely could change it. However you would be changing the thing tht sets this apart from other ACAANs. This looks like mind reading rather than a magical deck.

But I'm sure you could make it work!
Grail Quest
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Grail Quest
That's a really helpful answer. Thank you for providing such an accurate, yet optimistic response!
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 23:58, Grail Quest wrote:
That's a really helpful answer. Thank you for providing such an accurate, yet optimistic response!

You're welcome!!
merlins1nd
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of merlins1nd
You know what when Mr Murray Speaks I Listen... Just on his Recommendation I bought this this afternoon.. and I love it.. Definitely gonna use this.

Great Work Atlas.... <:O)
The Spiral Princple & Beyond DVD out 17th Feb 2012 @ www.leathalweapons.co.uk and Blackpool
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Thanks very much - we're glad you enjoyed this!

Best,

Atlas
Grail Quest
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Grail Quest
Utterly compelling. Exquisitely elegant. I just can't wait to try this out with the Dark Dawn Tarot. Highest possible recommendation. My favourite effect of the year. Hats off to Andrew & Atlas!
Grail Quest
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Grail Quest
Incidentally, do you think that Bruce Bernstein's 'Separation Anxiety' might be an even better pair to 'The Crusade' than the U.F. Grant effect you mention in the Performance Manual?
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hello Grail .

Pleased you find Crusade to your liking.

In answer to your question, I prefer the Grant effect to Bernstein's in the context of linking up with Crusade . Having completed Crusade and built the audience up, I wish to avoid the dead time of needing to count exactly 20 cards and be sure the composition is set up for Separation Anxiety. With the Grant effect you come full circle because the spectator can shuffle his deck again and you go immediately into the effect from this stand point. The spectator goes away with the memory that he shuffled his own deck each time prior to being astounded by the two effects that follow.

Andrew
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Grail,

What Andrew said. This isn't a criticism of "Separation Anxiety" in any way, but I'd suggest that you don't want to interrupt the flow and harmony of the two effects by having to impose any sort of setup. I also like to stop the sorting process halfway through the deck as I can then show that the remaining cards are obviously still mixed.

Thanks also for your great feedback - We are pleased that you think so highly of The Crusade.

Best,

Atlas
Grail Quest
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Grail Quest
Yours is the only ACAAN I have. I researched everything I could find on the subject before plumping for the 'latest & greatest'. As you can see, I couldn't have been more delighted with my choice.

Ironically, I was only asking the question about 'Seperation Anxiety' because that appeared to be the most state-of-the art OOTW to pair with your state-of-the art ACAAN. Given your extremely helpful answers, I can see that in this case, old school is best! Off I go to Lybrary...

Thanks again for not only your wonderful ACAAN, but also such first class support for your Product.
Also... Happy Halloween!
MagisterFreud
View Profile
Regular user
The 18
135 Posts

Profile of MagisterFreud
It's not often new effects get this much praise from such respectable individuals.

I don't do much work with a regular deck. Does this effect depend on the structure of a playing card deck? Or, could it be done with a tarot deck?
Grail Quest
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Grail Quest
Any Cards, Photographs, Tickets or whatever you can come up with would work! I'm certainly using it with Tarot Cards. Absolutely my favourite effect of the year. Highly recommended.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
I'm writing my review in hopes to help anyone out who is trying to make a decision on whether or not to buy this effect. First off, I believe it was 4 record companies that turned down the Beatles before they were signed. There are plenty of people that never did and still don't like what is probably the most loved pop band in history. The point being, if the Beatles can't please everyone, why would anyone expect this effect to. Right? There will always be different perspectives on everything in life. That's what makes it so interesting and beautiful. However, when something is really good, experience shows a majority will tend to like it. Which means, there will be a group that DOESN'T. There's just no avoiding it. So most people will weigh the comments and make a decision based on what they read. That's what I did. I read glowing comments, and a few angry comments. I've also read glowing comments on things I've purchased that have turned out to be underwhelming to put it politely. I expect most here have. So who do you believe? I've never seen any of the guys whose comments I've read perform. How do I weigh what they say? How do I know what's drives them to do what they do with their craft? What's important to you may not be what's important to me. That said, here are a couple things to think about... could the method for out of this world be any simpler??? Could the effect be any more devastating? The method here is simple. I won't know how it plays until I've spent some time with it and used it. However, my gut feeling tells me it's going to be very effective. I say this purely based on my assessment of what I've read, the calibre of the thinking (not what others here are saying)! Being as I just purchased this last night and am in the process of developing "MY" patter, I'll wait to perform it for a few days. I believe the framework, the psychological skeleton has been erected for you to hang your own skin on. In other words, a lot of thought and hard work has been done for you. Truly making it your own is consistent with the approach that's laid out and can only serve to strengthen the effect I believe. It's up to you to make it yours. This however doesn't mean I will deviate from the the "Original" approach written here. I think they nailed it and any deviation will bring diminishing returns in my opinion. Contemplating the additional approaches given reconfirmed that for me intuitively. I believe theres a lot of good here and find it hard to imagine anyone would feel they haven't gotten their 27 dollars worth for having purchased it! Hope this helps. One note to the creators of the effect, why not do a video clip of just reveal reactions from some live performances? You won't be giving anything away and could definitely help people make a buying decision. Just a thought. Thanks for sharing the effect and best wishes.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Very well thought out post, good job. I really love the Beatles analogy!
(...and, by the way, I also love paragraphs and breaks! Smile)
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Sands,

Thanks for your very thoughtful post - you are absolutely correct to point out that every performer has different requirements and expectations and your Beatles analogy was very apt indeed. Andrew and I have been very pleased with the reception that The Crusade has received. I think part of that is the strength of the piece itself, and I think that part of it is that we have been very honest with the marketing portion of the equation.

There was some discussion earlier of releasing a performance video - in the end, I decided not to share one. On my website, I can use analytic software to see where my referral links are coming from. One site was unfamiliar to me, and I visited it as I had received a message from a friend that it was an exposure site. Sure enough, the method for The Crusade was there, though not the presentation. Had I released a video, a link would no doubt have shown up on that site and the exposure would have been complete.

As to the idea of releasing a video of the reactions, we may do so at some point in the future.

And MagisterFreud, GrailQuest is correct - this can be performed with Tarot Cards, business cards, magazines, postcards, etc.

Best,

Atlas
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Just wanted to post an update.

I performed the effect tonight and it went over beautifully. It left the spectators stunned. Looking forward to really working this thing. I'm curious to see how it's going over for others.

Nicolino (and anyone else trying to make their way through my previous post), sorry about the missing carriage returns. I don't know what I was thinking. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Crusade - A Mind Reader's ACAAN (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL