The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Crusade - A Mind Reader's ACAAN (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..23~24~25 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
What?! You can perform this via webcam using the spectator's deck?! This IS berglas effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the sound of it, it is possible to do what Lu Chen did at EMC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4_-UMMT90). Am I right??

Thanks in advance~
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 18:48, Magic KL wrote:
What?! You can perform this via webcam using the spectator's deck?! This IS berglas effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the sound of it, it is possible to do what Lu Chen did at EMC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4_-UMMT90). Am I right??

Thanks in advance~

No, you can't. there is a significant procedure for the effect that isn't detailed in the description. It's a good effect. But certainly not that clean.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
One question: Is the ad copy from the performer's perspective or from the spectator's perspective?

Regards,
Mike
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Mike,

I suppose it was written from a sort of Dickensian, omniscient narrator's perspective. The copy begins by addressing the would-be performer and asking him or her to imagine the experience at the climax of the performance, through the eyes of each respective participant.

The experience is homogenous from the perspective of the audience and both participants, in case that was the underlying concern that motivated the question.

I hope I've been helpful, but in case I haven't, I'd be happy to answer any supplementary questions via PM, where we can go into more detail.

Best,

Atlas
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Just picked this up a little while ago. Probably read it tomorrow.

I'm not a wizard with the pasteboards, and I would never call myself a mentalist..... but - what the heck!!?!

Thanks!

Jim
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
747 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Very good indeed .
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Does anyone use this in his show, or do you think it´s more suitable for casual or impromptu performances?
KIKI
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-07-31 08:51, KiKi wrote:
Does anyone use this in his show, or do you think it´s more suitable for casual or impromptu performances?
KIKI

I use it on my cruise ship gigs and in informal settings. This effect is versatile and can be used in any setting. I must say it gets that unbelievable reaction!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
I know that I am a little late to this party but I ordered and received this yesterday afternoon so I thought I would pop in and share my initial .02.

I perform at several venues on a regular basis. All of them are pubs/bars/nightclubs. I do both magic and mentalism and the patrons love both equally. Most take it for granted that producing a small bottle of tequila, a lime and a pair of frilly panties from a Starbucks coffee cup is sleight of hand conversely "Glance", signed coin bends, MindBuster routines --performed well--leave them questioning reality and sometimes their sanity.

Now back to The Crusade. I have been pondering presentations of this effect and because of the many card effects that regulars have seen me perform I think they are likely to assume that if I even touch the cards I have manipulated them. This is the downfall of performing both Magic and Mentalism concurrently at the same venue. Usually I like to keep a clear division between sleight of hand/magic and mentalism effects. I try to use little or no props for mentalism and have always avoided cards.

The problem is, I like the premise of this effect a lot and the routining as others have said is great so I am going to try to work with it. I know I could easily fool my lay audiences with it as a "card" trick but I believe if I want it to be a mental effect, at least in my specific circumstances. I'm going to have to not touch the cards. I have 6 shows between now and next Monday so I will look forward to polishing it up and trying different performance options within the routine. I believe that with good audience management I may never have to touch the deck and still keep it moving so that the audience does not lose focus.

I have seen Atlas suggest in a couple of places (including the manuscript) that he thinks never handling the cards yourself really doesn't buy you much, but I believe in my case it may be essential.

I will do a performance review after the weekend to share my experiences both positive and less so. I love a challenge and I am excited to see what I can wring out of this basically self working but brilliantly thought out and scripted routine.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I just picked this up based on some threads here, and it is fantastic. Finally something that lives up to the hype. The method I thought up was way off from the actual method even though the method is simple. Brilliant. Also nice was the fact that unlike pretty much every other ebook released these days, this one wasn't riddled with typos and horrific grammar. Future ebook writers take note.
ReetDeeDee
View Profile
New user
Scotland
19 Posts

Profile of ReetDeeDee
I also purchased this yesterday, mostly based on the large number of positive reports on this thread, and would like to add my endorsement to "The Crusade".

Prior to my purchase, I was a bit wary as to whether I would be able to give this effect the justice it sounded like it deserved. I'm an 'almost' 50-year old hobbyist with basic card handling abilities, and consider this a very worthwhile purchase. If there's anybody sitting on the fence about The Crusade, wondering whether they could 'do it', I would say go ahead and buy it. I think it is a well structured and written eBook.

The performance description with associated explanations and reasoning are solid. I'm hoping that by performing this, I will be able to slow down my performance and not worry so much about 'the mechanics' - as I know that I give over the impression of being a bit rushed - never an enjoyable thing to watch. This in turn should now provide a much more entertaining effect for the spectators.

I'm glad I took the plunge and just hope I can to it justice.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hello one and all

RNK - great to read you are using Crusade as part of one of your workings sets . Where in the world do your cruise ships sail .

Emyers - I have Atlas and a few friends to thank for proof reading the book numerous times to eliminate the typos etc ...

ReetDeeDee - wishing you all the best in performing Crusade , with the no finger flinger to worry about you have all the time to focus on the performance and let it flow at a pace which suits you .

Thanks to all of you for taking the plunge , I hope one day to see a fellow performer at an event or convention perform Crusade to friends or layman and watch the reaction .

Andrew
thethirteensteps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of thethirteensteps
Quote:
No, you can't. there is a significant procedure for the effect that isn't detailed in the description. It's a good effect. But certainly not that clean.

While this effect sounds excellent, the significant procedure does sound like a trade off to some very clean, but not so hands-off ACAANs already out there. Fair to say?
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Again I just want to congratulate atlas and andrew on this masterpiece of work, In the "best of 2013" thread the crusade is winning by a mile.
Last night I performed this for a couple who are getting married in October, they were so floored they begged me to perform at their wedding, I'm kinda sh*tting it as this will be my first real time performing infront of people I don't know and getting paid for it!
I have performed for this couple before but it was the crusade that got me this bit of work, again andrew and atlas Thanks for releasing this to the community Smile

Kieran
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
LOL Kieran, you'll make it! Good luck!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
samdan
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of samdan
Crusade is simply outstanding. As a hobbyist doing magic for family and friends I am always on the look out for good, easy effects, and there just aren't that many. Crusade is perfect! It's very easy, yet very powerful. I find the "procedure" referred to by 13steps to be a big plus as it makes the reveal that much more amazing to the spectator. It just doesn't seem possible. Off topic, another great, easy trick is Positive/Positive. Same vein, i.e. you can focus on presentation and don't have any knuckle bending to do at all!
Shadowmoor
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Shadowmoor
I don't think it's been asked, but this effect does not require playing cards. For instance, it works great with the Major Arcana Tarot cards- so long as the card's name is displayed on the card as text to give the spectator a way to remember the card.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
How long or drawn out is the performance time? I mean the deck is shuffled and a spectator thinks of a number then counts down to that number to a playing card. That card is then slid to another person that has mentally thought of a value and suit and when the card is turned over it matches the thought of value and suit? Am I correct in this description?
So can this be done quickly or does the method require a drawn out process?
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2013-08-01 12:33, magicbyswh wrote:
How long or drawn out is the performance time? I mean the deck is shuffled and a spectator thinks of a number then counts down to that number to a playing card. That card is then slid to another person that has mentally thought of a value and suit and when the card is turned over it matches the thought of value and suit? Am I correct in this description?
So can this be done quickly or does the method require a drawn out process?

No, that's not the process. I don't want to explain what the process is because then I'd be explaining the method.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Wow - there have been a ton of posts in my absence! There is a lot to say, so let me begin by thanking J-Mac for taking a leap of faith, I hope that you have enjoyed the book and I'd love to hear how your performances go.

CarlWag, I'm pleased that you liked the book. I think people who follow your posts know you don't mince words and say what you think, so those three words are high praise.

Kiki, thanks for your question and Robert, thanks for answering it.

Eric, thanks for the kind words - Andy and I tried to avoid any hype, just offering facts. I'm pleased that the book lived up to your expectations and that you thought it was well written. Andy was right - when I sit down and write something, it goes through numerous stages and this was no different. I sat down and got everything out on paper and then brutally refined it over the course of about six or seven iterations until the result was what it should be. And I appreciate the help of everyone who got a review copy and spotted a typo that the computer or my addled brain missed. Having said that, I don't think this approach to writing is anything special, it should be a part of every writer's routine and it is extraordinary that it is not.

ReetDeeDee, I appreciate the endorsement and I am sure that you will do fine. Allow yourself to hit the essential waypoints and pour your personality into the effect and you will have a miracle.

Andy - Hey buddy!

TheThirteenSteps - Samdan is right, there is a procedure, but it isn't presented as such. In fact, it is the procedure that makes this so powerful. It is difficult to envision that being the case, but it is true. It also invests the audience in the performance and develops the journey that enshrouds their experience and captures their interest. But to answer your initial question, yes - that is fair to say (though read on in this post and you will see that it can be hands off).

Kieran, you are very welcome and I'm pleased to hear of your pending booking - in all honesty, I'm sure you were ready for it anyway and have nothing to thank us for or to fear. You and your personality are what makes an effect great.

Nicolino, your post was good, but you need more emoticons doing impossibly strange things Smile

Samdan, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and to answer TheThirteenSteps questions. I'm glad you enjoyed the book and I'd love to hear how your performances go.

Shadowmoor - you are absolutely correct. This can be done with magazines, or pictures, or credit cards, or receipts, etc. If cards aren't your thing, you aren't limited by that at all.

Okay, now the big item that I wanted to address was an issue raised by Dannicus. Dannicus my friend, you are the exception that proves the rule. I fully concur that your unique blend of performing styles makes a hands-off presentation essential. It can be done, but your will need to ensure that your scripting is clean and that your directions are clear. To this end, find a way to use short words and sentences as they are hard to misunderstand. I'd be sure to employ the hands-off handling I outlined at the end of the book and (being cryptic now) don't be afraid to go through twice rather than once if that won't take too long. I'd love to hear how things go for you.

I think that is everyone. I want to say that Andy and I are both very pleased that this is being embraced so warmly and are very happy to hear that it has a place in your collective repertoire.

Best,

Atlas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Crusade - A Mind Reader's ACAAN (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL