The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Summer Camp Magician Wage Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of wafflesthemagician
So I've been called in for an interview at a summer camp where I would teach kids bits of magic. I would teach in groups of 20 for 2 hours each day for 3 days. (So, 6 hours work total, two groups of 20, 1 hour each, one group is age 5-6, the other is age 11-12). I'm an 18 year old University student on summer break right now, and minimum wage around here is about $10 USD. Does anybody know what a fair wage for this kind of work would be?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
The LOWEST I would accept would be $600 but would start negotiations at $1000. Plus any expenses for supplies for the kids.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Wafflesthemagician,

Back in the day when I was teaching magic at summer camps or after school programs through a third party program organizer they would pay $50 to $75 per hour plus the cost of supplies. Now if you get a school contacting you directly you can get about $150 to $300 per class and cost of supplies. It is hard work and majority of the kids are a pain, but you will get a few who will love it and excel at it. Also, you will get many private parties from this program as well.

Best wishes.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Waffles,
My normal rate for a 1-hour magic class is $300. Times six, that would be $1800. I would offer them a deal though (for having shows back to back) and probably charge about half that ($900) for the six hours, if it was same location, same groups, etc.

It sounds like you're younger and maybe lack experience in this field, so I would consider charging less, maybe even a little lower than the $600 Paddy suggested. It really depends on so many factors.

Good luck,
Kevin
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It all depends upon your location, competition, experience, and so on. Remember, your competition is not just other magicians, but ANYONE who can instruct a class. Kevin's numbers seemed high until I ran the math. When I do classes for summer rec departments, I get $12 per kid for about an hour program. For you that would be 40 kids X $12 = $480, X 3 days = $1,440. Seeing how you are in the same place all three days, Paddy's $600 - $1000 seems about right.

I'd be ready with numbers like I just ran to explain (justify?) your rate. When I do these, I also have a magic kit (now magic book) that I sell for $5 so there is extra money to be made there.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Are you a camp councilor, or an outside contractor?

A comp counselor should expect to get paid the same as other counselors get. The camp should supply all the material, and if you are being paid to put the course together be sure to charge for all of your time.

If you are an outside contractor you should supply all the necessary material, and charge one price for the whole package.

If you are an outside contractor be sure to sell them a camp assembly magic show too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I agree with the suggestions above. A minimum of $500 would be a reasonable agreement in the end.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice, guys!

I've recently been informed that the camp that I'm prospecting to work for is a non-profit organization. They probably won't be able to pay me more than $15-$20 / hour + all expenses paid. I'll say that I'm in the middle, and ask for $17 / hour (So that's ~$100). I wouldn't mind working for cheap as free for non-profit / charities, but how would this change things for you guys? Would you still expect ~$500?
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
You know what? Especially at your age and experience, it will do you good to get out there for the experience. If you are doing this as a hobby for the love of it, sometimes its best to accept a small compensation.
If you are a seasoned professional doing this for a living, that's simply not worth your time. Unless you do it out of generosity.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Waffles, the "non profit" is paying the camp director and other employees, they can afford to pay you a lot more than the $20/hr. I do not lower my price for "non profits" at all because they use that title to avoid paying what you deserve. i.e. the director of the Red Cross in my town, Cincinnati, OH, makes a salary of 1,000,000.00 plus gets a car every year. yes that's 1 MILLION dollars a year salary and it is not just the Red Cross that pays their employees like that.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
627 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Non-profit does not mean No Profit, it merely dictates how profits can be used. If they live in the red, they won't be around very long. They have enough to pay for their programs and overhead which includes renting nice offices and paying salaries. I work with a lot of them and, if I'm a fan of their cause and how they manage their business, I will usually work a little something out.

Now, in your case, it'd be a good experience for you. It also looks good on a resume and Little Johnny will probably want his Counselor from camp at his birthday party so make sure your 'supplies' have your name and web site on them! Maybe a little graduation diploma proclaiming them Mini-Magi that will go on their fridge where mom will see your info every day for awhile. Think of the little monsters as 40 marketing calls that you are getting paid for. You need to be the guy that EVERY kid drags over to meet his mom and every kid is a joy and future star.

As for your fee, let them negotiate you down from your actual rate but then ask for a donation letter for the difference in the hopes you make enough this year to pay taxes. Otherwise, give it to your dad. Smile

Oh, and you might want to have a spiel about follow up lessons being available if mom asks...
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
It all Depends on their Budget and where you live.

I teach a Summer Rec. Program that pays me $ 75.00 per day for 2 1-Hour Classes.

One is for ages 8-10 and the other is for 11-13

They pay for "ALL" Supplies that I need.

I do the program for 5 days and net $ 375.00 for 10 hours of work. $ 37.50 per hour is not bad for an hourly wage.

I live in a very HIGH Poverty Rate area where Unemployment is at 26% and higher.

So our Recreation Department does not have a big budget at all and a lot of the people just Volunteer their services.

To each his own, this is how I prefer to do it and everyone will have their own opinion.

Do what works best for you and you only.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I like your style, Rodney!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Upon further investigation, I found that the organization is a registered charity, and donates 74% of its revenue. The other 24% is use to hire a total of 8 people FULL-TIME, 6 of which are paid less than $40,000 a year, and the other 2 are paid less than $80,000 a year. (Average wage here is $42,000) All the other money is donated. I believe that the charity is a good cause to be working for, so I'm thinking of doing it for as cheap as free.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Summer Camp Magician Wage Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL