The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Turbo Stick by Leo Smetsers Richard Sanders FX (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2013-06-25 17:25, lukecloughmagic wrote:
I had a whiteboard paddle years ago, it says on the trailer that this is unique? what's the uniqueness of this compared to others?

Dan Garrett was selling dry erase paddles on his lecture tour. This one from SandersFX does look pretty nicely made though.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Received mine today. I had already fallen in love with it when I saw the trailer but it's exactly what they say it is so if you like the trailer then you'll love the paddle. The dvd doesn't come with much at all other than what's shows on the trailer. However, it's easy to be creative with Turbo Stick and "X" is pretty darn good. Every phase becomes more and more visual. I'll be trying it out soon.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 02:42, Alex DLF wrote:
like a section "impromptu" magic that you always have in your pocket

Exactly!

A "Impromptu/Always On" would be great for looking through all they carry.

Thanks for the feedback Patrick!
Good to know the depths of the teaching. Smile

LokI
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I really prefer to use a bic lighter as a "dry-erase" paddle. It just seems more natural to take out a lighter instead of a paddle. Some memory sticks might also work. On the other hand, this might be worth it for the thought put into the DVD instruction.
KJ.
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
Quote:
On 2013-06-25 16:40, IAIN wrote:
Surely the whiteboard paddle has been done a few times before? what is different with this one?

It has and has been brought up here...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

Judah
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 01:24, 1KJ wrote:
I really prefer to use a bic lighter as a "dry-erase" paddle.

Are you saying you write on it?
Curious... As I too, love using my bic.

LokI
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-06-27 01:24, 1KJ wrote:
this might be worth it for the thought put into the DVD instruction.

Uh no. As I have already said, there is not much more on the dvd than on the trailer. "X" is not a logical routine at all, it's just a whole bunch of vanishes and reappearances put together, which you can pretty much reconstruct from the trailer. I was disappointed with the dvd. The paddle is great for what it is, but I'm going to have to work out a more logical routine if I'm going to perform this.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Loki,

Hi. Yes, I write on the lighter and use it just like one would a whiteboard paddle. I use the very inexpensive bic lighters that come in a variety of colors and have the smooth, slick plastic surface. I also have a dry erase pen concealed in a sharpie that I got with another effect (can't remember which effect, but I'm sure one could build one pretty easily).

However, I did order this product as I am curious to see their handlings and routines. I'm sure I'll pick up something useful that I can apply to the lighter.

KJ.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I just finished watching the DVD for Turbo Stick. While I have been doing something similar using a bic lighter, I really enjoyed the DVD. I saw some things that I hadn't thought of doing, that makes it more powerful. I still like the idea of using a bic lighter instead of a paddle, but the instruction on the DVD was very good. Because of this DVD, I can kick my bic lighter use up a notch.
I difinitively recommend it for the DVD instruction.
KJ.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 08:52, PatrickGregoire wrote:

"X" is not a logical routine at all, it's just a whole bunch of vanishes and reappearances put together, which you can pretty much reconstruct from the trailer. I was disappointed with the dvd. The paddle is great for what it is, but I'm going to have to work out a more logical routine if I'm going to perform this.

Maybe I'm underthinking this, but does a paddle trick really have to be logical? It seems more like fun eye candy to me, and that appears to be the spirit in which the routine is presented on the DVD.

I'm working on the "sponge ball" variation now, but with little bunnies drawn on the paddle (actually, they look more like short snowman blobs with rabbit ears, but hey...). Seems like an interesting way to get those first two bunnies into play. The supplied routine has a lot of nice moments that I probably wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Actually pretty excited about using it at a pool-party walkaround gig this Saturday.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Patrick, Max, or anyone else,

I would love to hear routine or patter ideas from you. I too think that while the "x" routine is pretty cool to watch, it lacks "reason". I have been using the concept in conjuction with other effects, mainly to reveal things such as mentalism revelations, cards, people's names, or even coin productions, using the Bic lighter instead of the paddle. I really liked the visual of the "x" routine and I think Richard did an excellent job with it, I would just like to give it some reason for "being".

Thx,

KJ
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Quote:
On 2013-07-10 03:10, 1KJ wrote:
Patrick, Max, or anyone else,

I would love to hear routine or patter ideas from you. I too think that while the "x" routine is pretty cool to watch, it lacks "reason". I have been using the concept in conjuction with other effects, mainly to reveal things such as mentalism revelations, cards, people's names, or even coin productions, using the Bic lighter instead of the paddle. I really liked the visual of the "x" routine and I think Richard did an excellent job with it, I would just like to give it some reason for "being".

Thx,

KJ

My thoughts entirely, how do you introduce this to a spectator?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
“I have a normal little white paddle just like the kind you probably have in your wallet.” Lame, but I find that the paddle, like the "tiny plunger," is an unusual but not especially suspicious piece of nothing. It generates its own curiosity.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Sanders just introduces it as an observation test, to see if the spec is ready to watch some magic. He focuses attention on the dots or X's, rather than the paddle, referring to the paddle as "this thing." I suppose you could make up some story about what the paddle is - it does look a little like some sort of medical device - but personally I like Sanders' approach of avoiding overexplanation. It is what it is, as they say. It's the x's that are jumping around, not the paddle.

Although it's obviously a prop, it looks less "proppy" than a hotrod, IMO, because it is shown to be a blank white piece of plastic on both sides at the beginning of the routine. In that respect, you can treat it like a piece of paper or a canvass that you draw a picture on.

Or you could make a lame joke about using it for table cricket, a really small canoe, a stirrer that came with a really large coffee you ordered, etc.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
You could say...........

Years ago before psychology and psychiatry have advanced as far as they have today, doctors would need a way to see if someone was....well SANE. Whether they are competent to stand trial, or if someone needed to be admitted to a nut house. Long before brain scanning and mood altering drugs were available, a simple test was conducted on a subject to determine whether or not what they saw was actually what was happening in reality.............. Here let me show you what I mean. I have one of these tests with me that I carry around at all times because I am so enamored at how accurate it really is. (Perform what ever paddle routine you wish and then you can tell the person that they are either certifiably nuts or that they are just fine and are seeing exactly what you want them to and not to worry cause they are ok)

Mind you I don't even have one of these yet and I want one, will probably be buying one soon. I think this is a great patter. Let me know what your opinions are.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Great idea, it builds some intrigue too saying it's a reality test. I like it. Every spec will want to find out if they are sane or not. Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Just thought of this as well...

Using the above patter and having performed the jumping x trick you say to them

"Now did you see a bunch of x's disappearing and reappearing? Jumping on and off the stick.

Everyone will answer yes.

You say "good then you are completely sane. Don't worry your not crazy. You see only a somebody who has gone off the deep end would not react the way you have after seeing such an eye popping illusion. Those that see this and don't react, see things like this all the time and you should watch out for people like that" at this point you can single somebody out in the audience who maybe didn't really react that strongly and without saying anything point to them. Everyone will have a good laugh!
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-08 17:18, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:

Maybe I'm underthinking this, but does a paddle trick really have to be logical? It seems more like fun eye candy to me, and that appears to be the spirit in which the routine is presented on the DVD.

When I said it was illogical, I was speaking specifically about the routine "X" and I wasn't suggesting that the routine needed to be justified.
"Three x's on each side. Wipe one away and we only have two on each side. Let's go back to when we had three on each side. If I wipe one away, we only have two on each side."

-_- really...? Why erase it, bring it back AND THEN ERASE IT AGAIN? You supposedly went back so you could move onto something else... And this sort of thing happens TWICE in the routine... Just talking about this though, I've come up with a modified routine to work around this issue. If anyone who owns this is interested, PM me.

I pretty much agree with David Penn in his WP review; it looks too cheap and silly to bring out for the more sophisticated people. In my opinion, those types of people are present not only at those types of gigs, but everywhere. I don't think I want to be pulling this thing out and performing it because to me it's pretty cheesy and weak compared to many other things I could be doing.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Not to mention that the routine starts off with an 8 second dead time where the performer looks down and draws x's. What a way to kill whatever connection you made with your spectators. Sure, you could tell a joke or something, but you will never be truly, fully present during that time. You'll be concentrating on making all six x's look perfectly identical.

Please don't bother PM'ing me as I've played around with my paddle and come up with a few different moves and a few variations but nothing specific to be a routine. Play around with your paddle and work out what you like. Just keep in mind that very cool effects can happen when you decide to mix actually showing the other side and using the paddle move. Many more possibilities. Just think about it and play around with your paddle.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hi guys, I purchased this effect at a corporate gig the other week and not once did it arouse any kind of oddness? it got great reactions and I think maybe people are thinking too much what the audience are thinking, at the end of the day it is the efffect that matters not the prop. if you bring out a pack of bikes or waddingtons the audience does not care what type of cards you are using but the effect you are doing with the prop, just my opinion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Turbo Stick by Leo Smetsers Richard Sanders FX (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL