The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Turbo Stick by Leo Smetsers Richard Sanders (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 18:58, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I also don't like the angles on this thing. Anyone at your sides might see the other side of the paddle and they might not be able to see what's actually going on. You really need people to be in front of you. Clearly this is not a problem specific to Turbo Stick, just paddle magic in general. The venue that I used this in today was people all over the place so it was difficult to show them all what was going on and also hiding the method.

Been doing paddle tricks a long time and never had anyone see the other side. However; I will pass a tip along that got from Whit Haydn many years ago when he offered advise on the billiard balls for street magic. Anyone trying to look, keep lowering the hand. They can't go below below the table or ground.

Best,
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2246 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Yeah well if you're performing standing up for a table of seated spectators, you can't lower lower than the table because then nobody will be able to see. As well, today was a situation where there were people sitting down on both sides of myself and I was standing and I was right there among them so it was not the best situation to be using this. I'm only assuming that it's a possibility that some might be able to see. Ii'm not sure at all.

By the way, what I mean by they might be able to see the other side is when you show the second side of the paddle (halfway through the move). If you're doing it right, you pause a little bit for them to actually process what's on the other side. This is when someone might be able to see what's behind the paddle if they're sitting down beside you.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Your only options..
-lower
-keep it low and close to the body, bring your body in close to the paddle.
-gesture with your hand and block the angle, maybe pointing at what's on the paddle
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I must say I was apprehensive about purchasing this only because I feel a lot of people know about the paddle move. Though, I have been using this with great delight and superb reactions. People really are intrigued when the X's start disappearing and reappearing. Then when the marker is pulled from the paddle- what a beautiful moment! Classic Richard Sanders- just great magic!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
RNK, this is exactly as I expected ( punters love this stuff ). Thanks for the review!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 10:59, Zombie Magic wrote:
RNK, this is exactly as I expected ( punters love this stuff ). Thanks for the review!

Most welcome. I forgot to mention that the paddle is very well made and will last forever. The size is just perfect to make the paddle move super smooth and easy.

RNK
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Oh, thanks for the Paddle quality report. I thought...is this going be on the cheap. GREAT to hear it will go to the box with me.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Anyone using this, do you see any benefit of using 2 paddles?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
No benefits to using two. Plenty of eye popping magic with one.

RNK
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks, RNK!
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Putting aside my thoughts on the origins of the effect and whether this is a "ripoff."

It's great. The routines on the dvd are good, the potential is amazing. I'm working on something with palindromes (words that spell the same backward and forward) and something with words that spell different words when upside down (MOM vs. WOW). Hopefully those thoughts get the juices of others flowing and you can pm me with suggestions on this "magician's block" I'm stuck in regarding using these word principles.

The paddle: the cheapo original one looks a bit nicer. This one is not without flaw. It's crudely cut. The corners are not uniformly rounded, the uppermost edge has a "lip," where the paddle looks like it should have spent another minute against some sort of sander to smooth out the edges. This sounds trite, but when you go to wipe off "X's" of marker and residue gets stuck on the lip, it potentially messes up your trick.

I fooled my wife with "X." I never fool my wife. She even knows the p***** move. She's never seen it with paddles, but she's seen some of my hotrod, Freakey, etc. work. And I still fooled her. It's a lot for a spectator to wrap his/her head around.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 23:29, Robvs wrote:
The corners are not uniformly rounded, the uppermost edge has a "lip," where the paddle looks like it should have spent another minute against some sort of sander to smooth out the edges. This sounds trite, but when you go to wipe off "X's" of marker and residue gets stuck on the lip, it potentially messes up your trick.

Quite a legitimate concern. Can they be sanded down?
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 21:55, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Acecardician, I'm curious. I have had problems with doing the p###le move with handles that were too wide. A Popsicle stick is really wide in comparison to its thickness. How did you pull that off? It must have been an improvised version of the classic move, no?

[quote] EZrhythm wrote: The secret is in the rubber band! ;-) [quote]
Exactly! I twist the rubber band around the middle of the stick.
One dot appears, jumps from end to end, turns into two, and vanishes.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 23:39, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
The corners are not uniformly rounded, the uppermost edge has a "lip," where the paddle looks like it should have spent another minute against some sort of sander to smooth out the edges. This sounds trite, but when you go to wipe off "X's" of marker and residue gets stuck on the lip, it potentially messes up your trick.

I don't know. Probably, but I'd worry about scratching the smooth surface of the paddle. Most of that "lip" I spoke of can be scratched off with a finger nail.

I didn't mention it here, but in certain light the paddle becomes slightly translucent. I noticed it last night while practicing in the strong overhead chandelier lighting of my dining room. You go to show that there's no "X" but you can see a faint hint of an X from the underside. I doubt that this shows often, but nonetheless...

Despite the flaws, I still think it's a good buy. It's cool. It's fun.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 23:39, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:

Don't know- my paddle is flawless....
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Hmm...my paddle is flawless as well. I've been enjoying the sponge ball routine. Great way to introduce the prop!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-07-09 13:34, sgtgrey wrote:
Hmm...my paddle is flawless as well. I've been enjoying the sponge ball routine. Great way to introduce the prop!

It is, eH? The production of the marker usually gets a nice quick gasp and a smile!!!

RNK
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Mine has a very small raised lip at the far top edge, but does not deter from the overall effect, it is surprising how well this plays, it is great!
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-07-09 13:34, sgtgrey wrote:

Totally a great way to introduce the prop. The strange thing is that I always thought a paddle screamed "prop" and it would have no place in my routines. However, using the sponge routine and then transitioning into a sponge ball routine (another prop I never really use much) just "works." These strange magic props, when combined, just "fit" my routine now.

I haven't played with my paddle in the real world yet, but I absolutely will. My lip will not stop me from performing, it will just cause me to wipe extra cautiously (no pun intended).
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I love paddle tricks. This one looks crazy cool. Just ordered it today along with aces. Love his work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Turbo Stick by Leo Smetsers Richard Sanders (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL