The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Getting friendly with your ITR. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Hi Gang,
Been playing around with my ITR for a while now, but I still lack the great routine.
Thought you guys had some good ideas to where I could get a neat DVD that covers all aspects of this great prop.

Regardz
Jack
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
I've got a couple of tapes from Sorcery I've got a couple of tapes from Sorcery Manufacturing and I've got the Michael Ammar "Easy To Master Thread Miracles" tapes (1-3). I've also got the Steve Fearson’s "Threadhead" tape. Of all of these, the Ammar tapes are the most useful. They cover more than just ITRs, but learning more about IT helped me realize things I could do with the reel.

Jester J
Silvester
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Silvester
I think I have to get the Ammar tapes too, to get my IT stuff running.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Michael Ammar's "Easy to Master Thread Miracles".
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Thanks.
Guess it's the best source out there.
Kind of weird if it's nothing just on the ITR, cause a pro could easily make an hour long lecture on that. Just think of stuff like: routines, handling, hook-ups, spectator management, maintenance etc.
But, Ammar’s Thread Miracles is supposed to be great though. It will do for now.

Jack
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Smile
Do that Jack.
Practice well and keep us up to date.
If you get the all knowledge required to make your own DVD on the ITR, I'll be sure to order a copy. Smile

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4945 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Remember to always check the light BEFORE you use your ITR. That’s my experience over the years.
Silvester
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Silvester
I have a problem with my practice:
I don't know if my movements are good. I can film it on camera, or watch me in the mirror.
Silly question: How do I know if my movements are good?
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Hello Silvester,
You should try to tape your movements during 3-4 different tricks, if you can try to add that natural flow to your IT routine - you are good to go.
Being natural, acting just as surprised as your audience to the levitation keeps them on their toes and you on the verve of success.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
Micheal Ammar’s tapes "Easy to Master Thread Miracles", that's how I got my start. Thread tricks are some of my most requested... Smile
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
I don't have a great routine set up yet, either, for similar reasons. There's not much out there specifically about ITRs, it seems. I'll have to check out The Sorcery's stuff when I get a chance.

That said, I was watching Ammar's thread DVDs and came to a realization about the one point hookup he demonstrates. An ITR could be used for that, so I tried that out and it works. It works a little differently than the "real" version does, but it works. And you can do things with the ITR version that you can't with the "real" one.

And I know you can do a LeClair-type hookup with an ITR, as well as the more "traditional," I guess, floating bill hookup. Plus the Hummer card effect is really easy with an ITR.

There's most likely a lot more uses and hookups available that I haven't seen or discovered yet, and I'm looking forward to learning them. Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4945 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
TIP:
A great routine for an ITR is Kevin James Floating Rose. I have seen Kevin do it live and it looks extremely good. Even David Copperfield does it in his shows.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2476 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Silly question, since they now sell invisible thread over the counter at a couple of Vegas magic shops in hotels to the public...

has anyone been called on using "invisible thread" for floating effects ?

I usually keep an eye on what magic is available to the public and stop performing it.

Jeff Smile
Long Island,

New York
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
All magic is available to the public, in my opinion. Whether "the public" gets it from a website or a brick and mortar, they can still get it. I happen to think that's a good thing, since I'm a member of "the public." Smile Yeah, I'm a magician, too, but it's (so far) only a hobby and I don't make money at it.

Anyway, to answer your question, it all depends. I'm not the greatest at magic yet, and thus don't perform outside of a somewhat limited circle, but ... Some of the spectators are aware of IT (for whatever reason), or they can reason out its existence. Others just see the effect, are impressed, and don't try to figure out how it was done.

I'm usually only called on it if I perform it in bad lighting. That's part of the reason I limit my performance currently. Most of the people I perform for already know the secret, so I can make mistakes in front of them without fear of exposure.

Back to the issue of not performing publicly available magic now. Yesterday, I showed a coworker the Hot Rod, which I rarely use because of it's looking like a prop, etc. Anyway, he was impressed by it. How long has the Hot Rod been sold over the counter at magic shops?

IT, also, has been sold over the counter at magic shops for a while, too. Five or six years ago, in fact, I bought a bunch of IT at a magic shop near me.

The point is most spectators don't know all the secrets. Heck, most of them probably don't know *any* of the secrets. And even if they do, if the presentation is right, they won't care.

I wouldn't worry about whether "the public" knows about a certain trick/gimmick/whatever. Worry instead about presentation. You can have the most unknown trick in the world and if your presentation is bad, no one will enjoy it. And the secret might even get revealed.

Also, if you're worried about people suspecting the IT, you can use it for non-floating effects. According to the Ammar DVDs I have, Finn Jon prefers to *not* float things; just make them move a little in an impossible way. The DVD even has a method for using an ITR and a cup in a chop cup routine.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
True Sillverfire9.
Majority of people don't know any magic at all, but unfortunately the few that do may "sabotage" your act with phrases like: "he's using thread" or "l know how he does that trick- it's easy",
Guess every working magician has experienced that in some way, and after you experienced it for the first time you may start to think of a ways to "get out" or to "get back at him",
Humor is an important thing in a situation like this, even though it is very difficult and you think the guy is a jerk, and the only thing you want to do is smack him really good, it's crucial not to "loose your head" better yet - continue up with a trick that floors just that guy and you'll be the hero. Smile Smile

True as you say, Finn Jon has all kinds knowledge on variations with thread and Loops which doesn’t involve anything floating around, objects are rather moving or balancing, and that make the skeptic spectator really start to wonder.

IT is truly one of magic most memorable props!

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Eirik, does Finn Jon have any Videos or booklets out on these loops? He’s sold his invention as far as I know.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
Quote:
On 2003-12-06 15:36, silverfire9 wrote:
I don't have a great routine set up yet, either, for similar reasons. There's not much out there specifically about ITRs, it seems. I'll have to check out The Sorcery's stuff when I get a chance.

That said, I was watching Ammar's thread DVDs and came to a realization about the one point hookup he demonstrates. An ITR could be used for that, so I tried that out and it works. It works a little differently than the "real" version does, but it works. And you can do things with the ITR version that you can't with the "real" one.

And I know you can do a LeClair-type hookup with an ITR, as well as the more "traditional," I guess, floating bill hookup. Plus the Hummer card effect is really easy with an ITR.

There's most likely a lot more uses and hookups available that I haven't seen or discovered yet, and I'm looking forward to learning them. Smile

I have two or three tapes from Sorcery Manufacturing. I think that James George is a very creative guy, but the tapes aren't very well made and he's not nearly the teacher that Michael is. The best moves in the Sorcery tapes (IMHO) are the cups and balls move, using a ring to "prove" there's no string, and the ghostly nut and bolt. All of these are (and more) are shown on the Michael Ammar tapes. James George joins him to show some of this, so it's more an issue of good teaching technique for me. I'll make you a deal on the Sorcery tapes, if you're interested Smile

Jester J
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Quote:
On 2003-12-08 12:16, JesterJ wrote:
I have two or three tapes from Sorcery Manufacturing. I think that James George is a very creative guy, but the tapes aren't very well made and he's not nearly the teacher that Michael is. The best moves in the Sorcery tapes (IMHO) are the cups and balls move, using a ring to "prove" there's no string, and the ghostly nut and bolt. All of these are (and more) are shown on the Michael Ammar tapes. James George joins him to show some of this, so it's more an issue of good teaching technique for me. I'll make you a deal on the Sorcery tapes, if you're interested Smile

Jester J

I might be interested. Even if he's not as good a teacher as Ammar (and I agree about that; I've watched all 3 of the Ammar IT DVDs), I'm sure there's still stuff to be picked up.

As a side note, it appears that they're no longer on his site. I was looking so I could see how much the videos cost, and the only place I saw any of them was in a package deal, where he includes the second video. Hmm.
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
Quote:
On 2003-12-09 01:51, silverfire9 wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-12-08 12:16, JesterJ wrote:
I have two or three tapes from Sorcery Manufacturing. I think that James George is a very creative guy, but the tapes aren't very well made and he's not nearly the teacher that Michael is. The best moves in the Sorcery tapes (IMHO) are the cups and balls move, using a ring to "prove" there's no string, and the ghostly nut and bolt. All of these are (and more) are shown on the Michael Ammar tapes. James George joins him to show some of this, so it's more an issue of good teaching technique for me. I'll make you a deal on the Sorcery tapes, if you're interested Smile

Jester J

I might be interested. Even if he's not as good a teacher as Ammar (and I agree about that; I've watched all 3 of the Ammar IT DVDs), I'm sure there's still stuff to be picked up.

As a side note, it appears that they're no longer on his site. I was looking so I could see how much the videos cost, and the only place I saw any of them was in a package deal, where he includes the second video. Hmm.


I agree, they aren't horrible, and there are some ingenious ideas there for what you can do with the ITR. I just find that I haven't gone back to them as much as I have the others.

Jester J
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2003-12-07 23:33, Expertmagician wrote:
Silly question, since they now sell invisible thread over the counter at a couple of Vegas magic shops in hotels to the public...
has anyone been called on using "invisible thread" for floating effects?

I was "called" on it during my "Jumpin Jackson" routine last night at a party.
Funny thing though, that effect uses only a TT.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Getting friendly with your ITR. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL