We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Curse of the Pharaohs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
852 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Spooky...

Is this ancient Egyptian statue a sign that there really is a curse of the Pharaohs?

Relic of the god of death found inside mummy's tomb and kept in museum for 80 years starts SPINNING on its own

*10-inch tall relic, is an offering to Egyptian God Osiris, God of the dead
*It has been filmed on a time lapse, seemingly spinning 180 degrees
*TV physicist Brian Cox among the experts being consulted on mystery
*But some now believe there could be 'spiritual explanation' for turning statue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ign=1490
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
666 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Remember the old vibrating football games we used to have when we were kids (showing my age)? You placed the players down on the metal surface, hit the switch, and the whole playing field started to vibrate. The men moved around on their own (but never where you wanted them to go). Now that was a noisy, fairly violent vibrating surface, and the players moved rapidly. But I wouldn't be surprised to find out that something is causing that statue to vibrate subtly and over time causes it to turn. It appears to be in the corner of the case; my guess is that there may be a screw loose (similar to the one in my head) or something unstable under the surface and as people move through the museum it is causing tiny vibrations which make the statue turn. The base of the statue is probably not completely flat either, enabling it to turn like a top. Or there is some piece of equipment close by which is touching the case and causing vibration . . etc, etc.

I'm just sayin' -
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This is awesome .. A paranormal event documented!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5544 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I was going to type in the same theory Bedford, but you beat me to it. It must be that dang magnifying glass you carry.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Then why aren't the other three statues moving too? And why does it stop once it is facing away from the visitors?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
666 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Good points. I guess without being there its impossible to really know. My guess was that if vibration were involved it was due to something loose in the area directly under that particular statue. It appears to be at the end of the line so I was thinking that whatever was holding down the edge of the shelf they are sitting on may have come loose at that point. As far as stopping when facing the other way - we only have their word for that. Perhaps that is all they filmed, or that point occurred at the end of the day when people stopped walking through and making the thing vibrate. I only say this because we should rule out the obvious before we start looking for supernatural causes. We as mystery performers do this stuff on a regular basis, so it's hard not to be a bit sceptical.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Aliens... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
That's the lamest curse I've ever seen. Tutankhamun must be spinning in his grave.
Ralis
View Profile
New user
Horrorwood
78 Posts

Profile of Ralis
Put a piece a felt under the satue and then see what happens, I am sure it's base is not completly flat on the underside.
I won't just scare you
I'll F@#$ you up for life!
Ralis
www.ralisfx.com
www.deadbyday.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I would test this very, Scientifically !
Place a Blinfold on,Statue!
Spin the Statue,in circles!
Place the Statue,back in case facing any direction!
See if the Statue,ends up facing toward the Back each time!

Plus,it would be funny,if the Statue fell down after spinning! lol

Worse case,I would super-glue that puppy,down!

I think most here have got a idea,of what is happening!
Or,could at least...figure a way to stop it! Smile

Paranormal...Meh !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
The answer is simple, this is my new rotating statue effect, only available to museums Smile how many do you want to pre-order Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I am 100% skeptical .... I want to see some proof that it's not paranormal!!!!!!
Oberon_Puck
View Profile
New user
The Berkshiers
28 Posts

Profile of Oberon_Puck
Bet you a solid gold TT that if they were to move it to a differnt display case, or even to a differnt shelf in the same display case it won't move one iota from where they put it.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 23:06, Oberon_Puck wrote:
Bet you a solid gold TT that if they were to move it to a differnt display case, or even to a differnt shelf in the same display case it won't move one iota from where they put it.
Why didn't it move before? It has been in the same place for a long time and never moved before.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Doctor Who Weeping Angel statue

2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Oberon_Puck
View Profile
New user
The Berkshiers
28 Posts

Profile of Oberon_Puck
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 00:06, Slim King wrote:
Why didn't it move before? It has been in the same place for a long time and never moved before.

Who knows, perhaps some machine somewhere near it has gotten a screw loose or a belt is starting to slip, no way to know.

If it was some paranormal cause, why just slowly rotate a statue? Why not rotate all the statues, or spin the statue fast or anything that would actually be difficult to come up with a rational explanations for?

But really, you are just going to keep fighting reasonable answers, because you want to believe that the shade of a thousand year old Egyptian has nothing better to do then spin a statue with agonizing slowness, and that's fine, go for it.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I believe the museum is in need of $ and thus created the story.... we need the Scooby gang to run around at night through the galleries chased by the statue. Then at the end we will see it is the curator under a stone like costume.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 14:19, Bedford wrote:
Remember the old vibrating football games we used to have when we were kids (showing my age)? You placed the players down on the metal surface, hit the switch, and the whole playing field started to vibrate. The men moved around on their own (but never where you wanted them to go). Now that was a noisy, fairly violent vibrating surface, and the players moved rapidly. But I wouldn't be surprised to find out that something is causing that statue to vibrate subtly and over time causes it to turn. It appears to be in the corner of the case; my guess is that there may be a screw loose (similar to the one in my head) or something unstable under the surface and as people move through the museum it is causing tiny vibrations which make the statue turn. The base of the statue is probably not completely flat either, enabling it to turn like a top. Or there is some piece of equipment close by which is touching the case and causing vibration . . etc, etc.

I'm just sayin' -

Bedford, I have no doubt that you're just throwing this out as a possibility. I thought that was likely, too. Then, I ACTUALLY READ the article which stated: "The statue, made by one Neb-Senu in about 1800BC, was donated to the museum in 1933, and had been reassuringly immobile for most of that time."

So why, after sitting there for decades, has it begun to move? I don't know, however I do know that the explanation you've provided simply doesn't answer all of the data.

As I wrote, however, I am guessing you're just throwing out a possibility. The sad thing is there are debunkers who, with NO investigation will throw out the same sort of solution, claim they have debunked it, and not look back. Worse, there will be media venues that report the non-solution as fact. It will soon become a meme unworthy of any further investigation, and real science takes another step back at the hands of debunkers and idiot "journalists."

My guess is still something similar. My question, however, is what has changed so it moves now? Without an investigation, we won't know.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
572 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Maybe I'm to blame.

I put a statue in my Re-Animat%r, brought it back to life, and put it in the museum.
Then I sent a message via my Spiri* Teleg&aph to a to& sw7tch, which then lowered the cloth from the Spiri* Teleg7aph onto the statues nose.
It then turned away from it to look for a sick bag !
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
666 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Correct - unless we actually go there and see for ourselves all we can do is discuss possibilities. As far as why it changed - well, maybe over time something came loose. Have you ever suddenly had a rattle in your car dashboard, for example? It wasn't there the day before, but now it is. So those things do happen.

My whole point was that we really can't say for sure one way or the other based on what we know so far - heck, it could be supernatural for all I know - or something along the lines we have been discussing. We just don't have all the facts, and it is useless to try and come to a conclusion without them. However, it is still a lot of fun to toss ideas around.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Curse of the Pharaohs? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL