The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Talking shop socially.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I see a lot of discussions on here about if are a working pro and you perform socially for friends at a party. Some do, some don't. I do, but I set my limits and pick my spots.

For those that don't an argument they often use is that magic is their job. It'd be like a Dr. constantly talking medicine at a party. Well, Sunday I performed strolling for a 40th birthday party. One table was very anxious to see the magician but every time I went a gentleman at the table was talking about his medical practice. I would just stand there for a few moments, waiting for a brief break in the conversation...it never came and I would move to another group. 15 minutes later, same thing. I approached the table 4 times and every single time, he was yammering on about some medical terms that most laymen wouldn't understand. They all had a look on their face that they wanted to hear what all the laughter and applause was about in other parts of the room, but this guy just wouldn't shut up. Finally, a few of them ditched one poor guy who he was talking to and came over to watch my last set.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Sometimes the herd just has to sacrifice one of their own.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
That is why you need a hobby outside of work. Doesn't matter if you are a magician or a CEO. You need something to talk about outside of work.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 06:48, Stanyon wrote:
Sometimes the herd just has to sacrifice one of their own.

Ha-ha!! I've had to play that role before.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Talking shop socially.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL