The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » This is why I love bill switches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Its amazing how much this simple effect slays laymen. There is no limit to what one can accomplish. While watching America's Got Talent the other night I watched a young lad make the audience and judges dizzy with a nice little close up effect using a simple bill change. I posted the link below. WHy arn't more of you Americans on here applying to this show? They're looking for more magicians this year. Go make yourself famous (if you're not already). One good effect and you're set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-DEbvgPnoU
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
More of a bill to.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks for posting that. He's 16? He's going to have a great life!
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Well presented...didn't seem nervous at all
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
He found a nice middle ground between "confident" and "modest" which was nice. He came off as very likable. Not to mention I agree that he was very smooth.
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
That was a great trick. I've been thinking about practicing the bill to Lemon as taught by Mark Willson, but this one looks harder to figure out. Plus, I'd like to make better use of the flash bills sitting on my shelf. Where can I learn this trick?

Thanks,

Mike
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2643 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 21:40, motown wrote:
More of a bill to.

yes, in terms of the effect seen by the audience. The method to accomplish this, however, could be that of some simple bill switches, but I don't see when he made the primary switch; maybe the camera was not on him during that time. None the less, it does suggest a nice way to do a nice bill-to-impossible-location that appears out of the magicians hands.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6912 Posts

Profile of bowers
Looks like he"s going place"s
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 23:20, John Long wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 21:40, motown wrote:
More of a bill to.

yes, in terms of the effect seen by the audience. The method to accomplish this, however, could be that of some simple bill switches, but I don't see when he made the primary switch; maybe the camera was not on him during that time. None the less, it does suggest a nice way to do a nice bill-to-impossible-location that appears out of the magicians hands.


He makes a switch to a flash bill when the cameras off of him. It really gets my imagination percolating. Instant bill switch to flash bill and duplicate literally anywhere. Patter about bar codes being like DNA and fingerprints and BAM. I just love it. So simple. So deceptive. Now to figure out his initial switch. Doubt it was the "Kozlowski bill change" as it seems he couldn't have done the folds in that split second.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2643 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 06:09, TheMag1cian wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 23:20, John Long wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 21:40, motown wrote:
More of a bill to.

yes, in terms of the effect seen by the audience. The method to accomplish this, however, could be that of some simple bill switches, but I don't see when he made the primary switch; maybe the camera was not on him during that time. None the less, it does suggest a nice way to do a nice bill-to-impossible-location that appears out of the magicians hands.


He makes a switch to a flash bill when the cameras off of him. It really gets my imagination percolating. Instant bill switch to flash bill and duplicate literally anywhere. Patter about bar codes being like DNA and fingerprints and BAM. I just love it. So simple. So deceptive. Now to figure out his initial switch. Doubt it was the "Kozlowski bill change" as it seems he couldn't have done the folds in that split second.


I don't want to get into re-engineering this effect, but I was alluding to
something more than a switch to a flash bill. . To wit; the bill that is displayed very soon after the bill is "donated"(0:50), and before Howard S reads off the SN, seems to already have the serial number that was recorded (the vid is a little blurred, but at 0:50 seems to have the SN that was recorded), also, note that I don't think he is touching the bag after the SN is read off(or even after getting the bill).

I don't think he is doing anything new here, but at the same time, I don't know when/how he did the move I'm alluding to. It is a very nice effect, good structure, the patter helps, and doing it in the judges hands helps a lot, but I would guess that this is pretty standard stuff to many on the Café. It certainly shows how impressive this plot can be w/o a lemon, or an expensive gimmick. It motivates me to develop my own bill to impossible location for my parlor shows.

John
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
716 Posts

Profile of dduane
From what is seen on the video it looks almost impossible. I would love to see it in person or without him being off camera at any time. It has got me thinking of a way that it could be done without switching the bill (except for flash paper). And there's the JP switch that is fast.

Dennis
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1406 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Beautifully performed.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2643 Posts

Profile of John Long
Dennis:
what is the JP switch?

A "bold switch" happens very fast, and could play well with some of the other props that are in play.

I'm of the opinion that the bag of chips was not touched once it was given to the spectator (which happens very early, before the serial # is read). Yet, regardless of what he did, I really like the idea of handing the sealed bag to the spectator at the start of the effect (even before the bill is obtained from the spectator), and then not touching it again. It appears very (magician's )"hands off", and I think it could play very nicely in a parlor setting. I like this so much that I just added this to my play list for my next show. Now I have to start working out the details and the bits of business.

John
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 22:04, John Long wrote:
Dennis:
what is the JP switch?

A "bold switch" happens very fast, and could play well with some of the other props that are in play.

I'm of the opinion that the bag of chips was not touched once it was given to the spectator (which happens very early, before the serial # is read). Yet, regardless of what he did, I really like the idea of handing the sealed bag to the spectator at the start of the effect (even before the bill is obtained from the spectator), and then not touching it again. It appears very (magician's )"hands off", and I think it could play very nicely in a parlor setting. I like this so much that I just added this to my play list for my next show. Now I have to start working out the details and the bits of business.

John


This is why I adore the Café. It feels nice to have posted a video that inspires and gets the cognitive faculties percolating. Regarding the effect, the bag of chips was indeed not touched (just tampered with beforehand). He goes no where near it. The only part Im lost on is the initial switch. Then does he not do a Kozlowski (while folding) to obtain the flash bill? Either way..Killer routine. Im liking the magicians on Americas Got Talent this year.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2643 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:

This is why I adore the Café. It feels nice to have posted a video that inspires and gets the cognitive faculties percolating.


Agreed. Reading the posts on the MC have helped me find good books & dvd's to get started in magic, and now for routine ideas that I intend to put in my next show.

To that end, I was reading a book that I purchased earlier this year(Great Scott it's Magic; The Trilogy). Right after buying the book, I put the "Magic Jump Rope" into my senior home show(although Scott Guinn intended it as a children's effect, I found that it played well for the seniors). I put an augmented version of his "Water Monte" (I show all cups upside down at beginning, and added a "kicker) into my very next senior show. So guess what I just read 2 days ago in this same book.

1) The routine is almost completely "hands-off" on the part of the magician
2) the SN of the borrowed bill is written onto a dry-erase board by a spectator (and the magi doesn't touch the bill during this phase, nor after this phase)
3) An audience member burns the bill, out in the open, as he verifies the SN
4) A spectator opens a box that was given to them BEFORE the start of the show, and finds a lemon inside, which the spectator cuts open, and the spectator reads the SN of the bill found inside the lemon (the magic is touching nothing). The SN matches the one recorded earlier.

This is almost the identical plot, but this routine has less Magi handling (he only touches the bill briefly right at the beginning), and the spectator is allowed to burn the bill (and can see the SN up to its bitter end).

John
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2699 Posts

Profile of lunatik
All I'll say is Max Krause.....
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2574 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I don't even care how, or where, his switches occurred.

What I am more interested in is the fact that with guys this age coming into magic, the art form that we all love so dearly, is in safe hands for many years to come.

That was an impeccable, professional performance - from a young lad that I hope we hear a lot more about! Smile
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 04:15, Merc Man wrote:
I don't even care how, or where, his switches occurred.

What I am more interested in is the fact that with guys this age coming into magic, the art form that we all love so dearly, is in safe hands for many years to come.

That was an impeccable, professional performance - from a young lad that I hope we hear a lot more about! Smile


Agreed. 100%.
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Agreed as well, I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting the vid.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
716 Posts

Profile of dduane
Ditto - Thanks for posting it. I am going to workout a version for my act. I do a SN prediction, but I like the candy bag reveal.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » This is why I love bill switches (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL