We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Balloons for a kid's show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I've been wondering, assuming you're not going to be making balloon animals for a show, can you use a balloon trick without the kids all wanting one? Or is it best to leave them out completely?
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I use the Needle Balloon effect in almost every kid's show. Only occasionally do I get kids asking for balloons after the show. I simply tell them that I didn't bring enough for everyone, so it wouldn't be fair. They seem to understand, so it isn't a problem in my show. But, I always have a free giveaway at my shows, so that appeases the little rug rats. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
I would never hand out balloon during show anyway. The balloons are squeaky, and take offs off you when they sit back down with it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 03:35, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
I've been wondering, assuming you're not going to be making balloon animals for a show, can you use a balloon trick without the kids all wanting one? Or is it best to leave them out completely?

You can also use the balloons to raise your income. Offer a second package to your client with balloons for the kids after your magic show.

If someone ask me, my words are similar to Michael's. If the client wants my balloon package too, I mention I will be making more when I am done with the magic show.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I stopped making balloon animals for my private parties about 5 years ago and very happy.

but I do make one balloon animal during the show for one of my helpers and then do another trick with a kid later that involves a balloon animal.

so two kids out of how ever many there have balloons. never any issues. no distractions no crying kids cause they did not get one.
if kids do ask for a balloon after the show I simply tell them " I am sorry but I can not make any more at this time" end of story.

you don't always get what you want in life. I know shocker!!

I don't play that political correctness crap.

I use what I use in my show and that is that. never had a problem

by the way GZ your fear of the squeaky noise is easily solved. I too perform a lot of day cares and kid shows and what I have done for the past 5 years was after giving the child the balloon and dismissing them to their seat I simply ask them to hand off the balloon to a teacher or to Mom or dad and they will get it after the show is over. I tell them this is so it does not accidentally pop during the show and that I have lots more fun magic still to perform.

problem solved.
many teachers have commented saying it was such a great way to handle that in my show.

so don't fear the balloons! Smile

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I've been using Needle through Balloon for more than 30 years and rarely has anyone asked for one of the balloons when the show is done.

I will make balloon animals for the 2 to 3 kids that get to assist me in a show if the majority of the children are 5 or over but I give everyone one of my Jumbo Magic Dollar Bills so everyone gets something. The way I do it is I explain that "I'm sure most of you would like to get a balloon but, unfortunately, I can't stay long enough to make one for everyone but I did bring something everyone can take home." I show them the jumbo dollar and explain it, which usually works fine. I, occasionally, get a child that is very insistent on getting one but I'm firm in explaining that, "if I make you one, everyone else will want one too and I can't do that."

If the majority of the kids are under 5, I don't make any balloon animals during the show. That age is far too prone to crying when they don't get one. I also do not make balloon animals at birthday parties unless I am doing them for everyone. (I offer the show alone or a package with the show and balloons.)
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
I have always enjoyed T Myers Tazmanian Devil used as a running gag. You can even have the balloons preinflated. At the end you have an easy 6 balloon Goony Bird to give to the host/hostess for a party decoration or as a gift for the birthday child.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
At almost every show I do Jeff Hobson's Balloon Dog as my last trick for the birthday child. Haven't had a problem with other kids wanting one because as soon as I'm done and hand the balloon off the kids are in line behind the birthday kid to get my giveaways and goody bags.

Josh
Josh
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

I would never hand out balloon during show anyway. The balloons are squeaky, and take offs off you when they sit back down with it.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Sorry, comment posted twice again. Yes, I know that's what I would do at a school, Sam, but, like you, I'm happy without balloons.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
No worries GZ and hope we get to meet up soon.
are you going to the SAM convention. I just might be there for a day. don't know yet
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1237 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I also do the Hobson balloon dog once in a while - when I restore the dog I don't give it out during the show. Once in a while if I don't do the Hobson dog I may do a balloon creation as part of the show because I can milk that for a ton of laughs. Usually when I do that I bring up 2 siblings or friends and make them balloon hats then tie the hats together with a big arch so they are connected and then hang another balloon from that and add a weenie dog to that and tell them they have to wear it for the rest of the day. It gets a lot of laughs. I may also connect their legs together. Sometimes I do that to 3 people. I also do other balloon magic with round balloons. It's never really an issue so don't worry about it. If they ask for a balloon just tell them that you are way too important to be bothered! Just kidding.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Ha, thanks for the insight everyone. I can do balloon stuff, and might offer it, but this is good to know.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My normal package for birthdays includes balloons for all the kids at the end. But when I do non-birthday shows (schools, libraries, company days) no one gets balloons. But I still do the balloon swallow, and it is never a problem.

I always give out the balloons at the end, so there is no problems of them being a distraction.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
On occasions when I must say no to a child for whatever reason I try to make it matter of fact.

If you over apologize or use an "I'm so sorry but..." voice it just makes it harder. Be nice but be clear and concise.
Pre-plan a simple and straight forward response for regular requests.

As Sam said, we don't always get everything we want.

When we cater to the notion that we do, we all suffer.

-Mary Mowder
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 09:07, Michael Messing wrote: I've been using Needle through Balloon for more than 30 years and rarely has anyone asked for one of the balloons when the show is done.
You know, I never ran into it either, when I worked on the east coast. But I've had it happen a number of times in Oklahoma. I always have two balloons left over, on my stand, after the balloon routine, because I'm alreay into the finale after the Needle Balloon. So, when I'm packing up, some of the little darlings spot the balloons and ask for one.

Sam and Mary are right on the money! We need to quit coddling audiences. The more we go out of our way to appease a spoiled generation, the more we empower them to be spoiled and self-centered. Unless they are from the North Pole. Then they would be elf-centered. *groan*
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Sorry, comment posted twice again. Yes, I know that's what I would do at a school, Sam, but, like you, I'm happy without balloons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Balloons for a kid's show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL