The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do YOU study magic? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
parkjisung33
View Profile
New user
South Korea
11 Posts

Profile of parkjisung33
For me, I usually learn magic through reading books that were written by magicians from the past. I first learn a trick, or a skill then look up youtube or other websites for a video of somebody performing the trick/sleight. Then I just go on and practice the routine and try to perform it to different people.
TheBruceBeat
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of TheBruceBeat
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 18:25, RobertlewisIR wrote:

But as I re-read my post, that makes it sound really structured and formulaic. What I actually do is play with things. I enjoy routining, and I enjoy scripting, and I enjoy learning new moves, so I just try to play around with things. It's not a very focused or driven process--it's play, that happens to accomplish all the tasks I outlined above.

This doesn't sound so much formulaic as it does deliberate and considered, and that is a good thing. The full post that I edited the above from shows a structured approach to incorporating new skills and effects into the broader context of a performance. It may initially start as play, but for it to be "play" for an audience, it has to be considered and crafted, and you give a viable blueprint to do exactly that.
MarkRochon
View Profile
New user
Martinez, CA
23 Posts

Profile of MarkRochon
I mostly will read a book all the way through, marking pages of things I know I want to look at closer. Just occasionally stopping to work something out right then an there.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I'll add to the above that I pretty much always have several "knuckle-busters" in the works. Most of the stuff I do, I can get the mechanics down fairly quickly by building on previous knowledge. But there are some things that I know *** well I'm never going to add to my set anytime soon, but I dabble from time to time anyway. Akira Fujii's Linking Cigarette, for instance. I still haven't been able to make that look good. But I pull out a couple cigarettes and work on it every few weeks. It leaves most of my practicing time for the stuff I'm actually seriously working on, but over the course of time, I might be able to add some really difficult stuff to my set. Again, comes down to playing. I play with stuff until it comes out looking like something I'm able to do, then I fit it into my routine.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do YOU study magic? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL