We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2013 entrée: Jolly Roger » » The Spiritual Stage » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
578 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
When is this ellusive, oft-mentioned work-in-progress being released in book form, and can you tell us some more about its subject matter?
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I am hoping that it will be published later this year. You can find out more about it on this link: http://www.SpiritualStage.com
As you will see from the link, it should already have been published by now. However, there have been some major events happening on the planet in the last couple of years which have delayed it's completion. These are events that required inclusion in this tome. More of this to come tomorrow. Where you are just waking up in New Zealand, it is bedtime in Arizona!!!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Here is a short extract from "The Spiritual Stage."

Many entertainers waste time worrying about their competition, rather than focusing on their own lives and careers. The result is that their minds become cluttered with anxiety that they are not doing as well as their competitors. You hear of entertainers making six figure incomes, and you worry that you are making much less. You hear stories of competitors doing 700 shows a year, when you feel lucky if you get 50 shows. The best thing you can do is to totally ignore these matters, whether the facts are true or exaggerated. Entertainers are notorious for exaggerating the truth anyway. You may believe you are a better performer than the person who is getting more work than you, but that is irrelevant. There could be all sorts of reasons for others apparently being busier than you, such as where they are located, their budget for marketing, and their networking contacts could be some of the factors.

As a spiritual being, your own career should be your focus, and not that of others. Allow the space to grow, without making up stories that are probably not even true. What is important is that you are happy and fulfilled. I am not asking you in any way to be selfish. You can certainly congratulate others on their successes and achievements, but do not allow them to diminish your own. When you hear someone bragging about how many shows they have, or how much money they make, feel free to chuckle to yourself, knowing that it is their ego speaking.

I recently had a phone call from a friend of mine who is a wonderful entertainer. I shall protect his identity out of respect, but he was upset that he was not chosen to appear on a national television talent show, whereas one of his fellow performers with a similar act was chosen, and won. He believed he was just as good as this other artist, if not better. This may well be true, but it is irrelevant to the situation. This performer ended up with a multi-million residency contract in Las Vegas, whereas my friend was still trying to make ends meet financially. It seems that he spent weeks of wasted energy being upset over this, instead of simply accepting what is, and moving forward with his life. I also asked him whether he had ever applied to audition for this particular show, and his response was negative. Is it any great surprise that he did not get the gig? The wise thing for him was to have used this as a learning experience, and next time an opportunity like this came up, at the very least he could apply to audition.

What I am suggesting is not to ever compare yourself, or your career, or your lifestyle to others. This practice can be very damaging, and can stint your spiritual growth. Be your wonderful, unique, creative self, and blessings will be bountiful. They may not always be the blessings that you had originally envisioned, but that is part of the excitement.

So the wise man or woman will look inwardly before they look outwardly. The wise human being will live in the moment, and be devoid of ego. When you go on the stage and perform, try not to clutter your mind with thoughts like “I hope the show goes well!” or “I can’t wait for the show to be over, so I can get my paycheck and relax.” You are doing what you love, so enjoy the doing. Get the most out of every second of your performance. If you are enjoying what you do, and you do it with love and enthusiasm, that is the key. Live the experience in the moment. After all, every member of your audience is sharing that same moment with you. The jazz singer Bob McFerrin was asked why it seemed that his audiences were all marked by an extraordinary compassion. His response was “I don’t know why but sometimes at the end of a concert, there’s no me, no performer left, there’s only an audience.” So give it your very best shot every time you go on stage. You are the compassionate giver, and the audience is the willing receiver.

Adopt the same attitude while you are off stage. Focus on yourself and not on outside influences which radiate negativity. Let me be very clear that I am not asking you to be selfish or self-centered. Of course I would expect you to use your new found spiritual enlightenment to help make the world a more kindly and loving place. Once your good intentions are clear on the inside, you can bring them to fulfillment in many wonderful ways on the outside. Obviously, enriching the lives of others through your wonderful performances is one of them. You can also give charity shows, or perform at hospitals.

To sum up, live each precious moment of your life in the knowledge that that moment will be gone in the next moment. So treasure the present, and realize that the present becomes the past in the twinkling of an eye. Never try to copy anybody else’s lifestyle or career pattern. You are you, you are amazing, and you are also very wise!
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
578 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2013-06-29 01:46, Jolly Roger wrote:
Where you are just waking up in New Zealand, it is bedtime in Arizona!!!

I'm on Arizona time.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 18:46, MickNZ wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-29 01:46, Jolly Roger wrote:
Where you are just waking up in New Zealand, it is bedtime in Arizona!!!

I'm on Arizona time.

Congratulations Mick! However, I bet you are glad you are not in Arizona today. It could hit 120 degrees in the next couple of hours!!! My Ravioli doesn't even need cooking. I just leave the cans in the sun and they reach boiling point in a matter of minutes!!!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I thought some of you might enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM88xd4KgB4
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I really like the extract you offered.

Could you confirm that the "Spiritual" topics in your book avoid talk of "god" or "gods" or "things greater than the world" etc. That word "spiritual" can get loaded up with a lot of baggage depending upon the speaker/author and can be a real turn off.

I like where you are going by focusing on ourselves as thinking and feeling individuals. I would like to read more.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thank you Scott. The book is a spiritual book and not a religious book and is targeted towards all entertainers regardless of their belief system. The purpose of the book is to invite my readers to take their lives on to a deeper level both on and off stage. Here is some more:

“There’s no point being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes.” ~Dr. Who

There is so much that you can all learn from children. Next time you find yourself in the company of children, I invite you to observe all that they are doing. Realize, that you were all like this once, and ask yourself why you changed? It is an irrefutable fact that you all grow up and mature. However, ask yourself what happened to that free spirit that was with you as a child. You might also ask yourself what is your understanding of the meaning of “maturity”. Then, consider this: do you ever wish that you still had that free spirit that was with you as a child? There is absolutely no reason why you cannot have that wonderful uninhibited freedom that was so much a part of your childhood, resurface as an adult. All that is required is to make that one of your choices.

A child is born both happy and full of love. They also have tremendous energy and enthusiasm for life. They are only changed when they experience the negative influence of much of the world around them. This could be in the form of controlling or even abusive parents, teachers, religious dogmatists, and later on with demanding employers or uncompassionate partners. In addition there is the added influence of the media. Happiness can turn to stress, and love can turn to hate, anger and frustration. The childhood energy wanes, and depression can sometimes set in. It is easy to get caught up in the surface environment that human beings have created, and lose touch of the reality of who you really are, and was in your youth. This sadly happens to many as they get older, but it is not necessary for you to accept all of these confines. From this moment forward, I am inviting you to see the world in a different light, and I promise you that amazing things are in store for you.

As some of my readers will be children’s entertainers, here are some suggestions. Let us presume you are booked for a children’s show. In order to reach this moment, there are many people that you must encounter en route. There may be agents, or party planners, who you may meet in person before the engagement. Then there are the various people that you get to talk to on the phone. This could include the mother, father, and sometimes even the birthday child. There is the client you socialize with at the house on arrival at the venue. Then of course there are the children themselves. I believe it is just as important to treat children with respect, as it is to treat the grown-ups with respect. This does not mean that you cannot be silly with them and act the fool with them while you are on or off stage. Being silly is a quite different thing to not showing respect. It always amazes me that on several occasions I have been introduced by a principal before a school assembly. The principal will tell the students to show respect to the entertainer by being quiet throughout the show, never shouting out, and sitting absolutely still! What they don’t seem to realize is that when I entertain children I love laughter, applause, and even controlled shouting. In other words, I love children to be allowed to express their natural emotions. This to me does not mean they are being disrespectful.

As a children's entertainer, you have as much responsibility to a child as a teacher does in the classroom. Children generally tend to be much more excitable than grown-ups. It is important that you respond to and encourage that excitement, rather than ignore it. I frequently find that after I have done a magic show for children, I am swamped with a mass of the little ones coming up to me and saying all sorts of things. They often want to give me a hug, and sometimes even ask for an autograph on a paper napkin. It would be easy for me to ignore them. However, this is a very important moment in their childhood. They have just witnessed, possibly for the first time, a truly amazing and wonderful magic show. After all, how often does a child have an opportunity of meeting a magician? They have seen someone who is quite different from their mother or father. They have seen someone who was nothing like any of their teachers. In fact, they have seen someone who is a grown up, and yet he's actually more like a child than any other grown-ups that they have ever met. They are therefore much more keen to talk to you than other grown ups, as you appear to them to be far more interesting.

So if you entertain children, it is really your responsibility to spend some time with them. Listen carefully to the words that are coming out of their little mouths. You don't actually need to pretend to be enjoying what they have to say. Although you may be chuckling inwardly at some of the hilarious comments they make, you can truthfully allow yourself to be thoroughly entertained and amused by it all. It could be a lasting memory for them. What a great opportunity to see the excitement and smiles on the children’s faces, and to hear the fascinating stories that they make up about how they think magic tricks are done. This for me is a far greater reward than any financial compensation I might receive. I always wait until the very last child has spoken to me. You never know, a brief conversation with the child may actually be the most exciting moments that they have had in their brief life on planet Earth. Do not, if at all possible, take that precious moment away from them.

All human beings have an inherent divinity from the moment of conception. Have you noticed that if you walk into a room, and there is a baby present, that baby immediately becomes the focal point in the room? The innocence and beauty of this little being is like a magnet to all that surrounds the baby. In the same way as you are intuitively drawn towards a tiny baby, show love and compassion to all men, women and children and the rewards will be infinite for them for you and for humankind. Everything you have been taught, and have come to believe is the only reality, can change in the twinkling of an eye. What you see with your eyes in not necessarily the true reality. You create that reality. How can you look at two different people, and say that one is more beautiful than the other? This is only your visual perception and processing of what you think you see. This is why we often hear that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Those who get married or have life partners all choose different souls to accompany them on their journey. This is because each individual sees the divinity and true beauty in that partner, even though most are unaware of this divinity or its source.

What you may have deemed to be the rules of life could be about to vanish as you create your own rules. Negatives will turn into positives. There really is an end to the rainbow, and a pot of gold is waiting there for you to remove the lid.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Thanks. While I still admit to being confused (you say NOT religious but then use the words soul and divinity - words which can be used to mean literally in a religious sense or used in a poetic sense), I do get a good sense of your approach. I appreciate it!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 10:01, Scott Burton wrote:
Thanks. While I still admit to being confused (you say NOT religious but then use the words soul and divinity - words which can be used to mean literally in a religious sense or used in a poetic sense), I do get a good sense of your approach. I appreciate it!

I do not believe the words soul and divinity are necessarily words that conjure up religion, although I will admit they can. Here is more to ponder on:

If I was to say to you that all that is needed to lead a happy, fulfilling and wonderful life can be summed up in two words, you might be skeptical. If I was to tell you that the two words are “Inner Peace”, it may make sense. These two words are the secret to everything. If you can experience inner peace at every moment in your life, then your outer existence will be fulfilling and rewarding. In the theatre of life, you go through many stages. How you respond to each of these stages is critical.

What is the meaning of inner peace? I will give you an example. You are performing at, let us say, a child’s birthday party. There is discord all around you. The children will not be quiet when you want them to. Two boys get in to a fight and start pulling each other’s hair. An excited child relieves himself on the carpet. The mother’s cell phone goes off continually throughout the show. A baby is crying. A dog starts barking in the next room. In addition to all this, you were late arriving at the party, because there was an accident on the freeway slowing down traffic. Many entertainers in this situation would be suffering from considerable stress. This is not the case for the enlightened being. He or she will experience inner peace throughout this outer turmoil. They will remain calm, and may even see the funny side of it all.

I have talked throughout this book about various ways you can relax, to help reduce the stress. I have made you aware that many of the things that go wrong in your life, both on and off stage, are out of your control. I have also made you conscious that nothing is perfect on the outside, but you all have total perfection on the inside. Deep inside each one of you, is the intangible divine spirit. This spirit is perfect and peaceful. This is the place you need to connect with at all times that give rise to possible stress.

"Everything is ok in the end, if it’s not ok, then it’s not the end."~ Carolyn Myers.

So, when you arrive at a show, and realize you have left your props and music behind, what do you do? The reaction of panic, stress, frustration and fear shall be to no avail. You will still not have the props or the music. I suggest you pause, and take a few deep breaths. If you get a chance, maybe close your eyes and be still. Connect with your spirit, and be at peace. The universe will work out a solution for you. I do not know what it will be, but somehow it will resolve itself. If you adopt the listening attitude, you will be guided as to what you should do. Be at peace with yourself at all times. It is the greatest secret you could ever imagine. Remember this; there is a solution to everything. As long as there is time and space, everything will resolve itself. It may not always work out the way you had anticipated, but in the scheme of life that is of no importance. The good and the bad, the perfection and the mistakes, are all part of life and living. As spiritual beings, you need to accept what is, deal with any unforeseen experiences wisely and peacefully, and your lives will be magical.

There is a good example of the application of inner peace in the bible. This is illustrated in the famous miracle performed by Jesus where he fed 5000 people with two loaves and three fishes. On the surface, there was pandemonium all around. The crowds gathering were hungry, and panic was starting to set in. However, the one person who was totally calm was Jesus. Instead of allowing the few at the front to grab the loaves and the fishes, his tranquil presence asked everyone to relax and sit down. He then performed his amazing miracle show, and the audience was all fully satisfied. If you follow inner peace while on stage throughout your own performance, the audience will pick up on this serene energy, and love you even more. If you are peaceful off stage in your daily life, you will be living a life of true magic and miracles.

Wherever there is discord, be fully aware that you have a choice of the emotions you are free to express. You can be angry, fearful, stressed, sad, tearful, or bitter. You can start the blame game, impugning innocent parties as well as yourself. The alternative is that you choose inner peace, and in that peaceful moment you will receive great strength.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2013 entrée: Jolly Roger » » The Spiritual Stage » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL