We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are "suspicious calls"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I've seen here a few different times the mention of "suspicious calls". Usually in regard to parents scheduling months in advance of the performance. I don't know what this means. Is this implying some sort of scam? Or simply that They'll forget and not pay?
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Tabor,

Once in a blue moon you get calls whereby you think your competitors are pulling the old "competitive intelligence" number on you. You know the drill. They want to know specific magic tricks you perform, detailed prices, etc.

Sometimes they're wishy-washy about the date or month of the show. I've actually had calls whereby the folks were planning a child's birthday party and said, "Well, were not locked into a month yet. It might be September, October or even in November."

Maybe I'm paranoid, but these types of questions and responses send up red flags.

Gerry
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I think we should all be a bit more transparent in our pricing and let our peers know what we're charging. Never understood how the guy charging $125 for a show keeps his lights on. If magicians were more willing to share their fees with each other we would be able to alL increase out rates.

Finding out what competition charges is nothing new and has been done in businesses since people began selling things.

Josh
Josh
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My prices are common knowledge among my competition. A scam usually involves a bogus cashier's check, and a partial payment reimbursement. You can usually spot them by the bad English used on these requests.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On 2013-06-29 10:30, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
If magicians were more willing to share their fees with each other we would be able to alL increase out rates.

Josh

Ya right! Lol. As if that only could be true. You are more likely going to price yourself right out of work. You can't think that you can raise your rates to whatever you want, and think you are going to keep working. Even if all the magicians in the area raise their rates.

I took what others were charging for children shows into consideration when I came up with my prices, but in the end doing my own market research, I decided on my prices due to several factors that had nothing to do with how much other magicians were charging.

I have received suspicious emails, but I also have a pretty good idea on who it was. I don't easily reveal my rates. I worked hard at researching and marketing to find what I believe is the best rates to charge. Some people charge what they believe they are worth, but some of them think they are worth more than they actually are and loose many gig opportunities because of it.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The suspicious call can be another magician asking his friend or family member to call your number to check on what you have to offer and what you charge so they can compete against you.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Magicians ask me what I charge and I tell them.

The THING I hate is when a potential custome calls a magician for a show

and the balk at the price, magician asks well what is you budget and they

say well I'll do it for that.

I preach to these guys about that subject.

But they tell me its none of my business.

The are hurting it for other performers.

And some of these guy are good magician.

They say well I have all these expensive magic props
just sitting in my house. I want to get out there and use
them.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Thanks for the responses, I hadn't considered those!

JoshLondonMagic, I could be wrong, but I think that it's illegal (fraud) for competitors to work together in order to raise prices.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
When I moved here 28 years ago I found a performer who was charging less then half my rate, he took all the shows. I made friends, built-up his confidence and eventually encouraged him to charge fairly. It was a good deal for both. We also passed shows back and forth, which increased bookings by 14 percent, over and above the number, when our rates were equal.

"Not all competition is bad"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-06-29 11:38, Dynamike wrote:
The suspicious call can be another magician asking his friend or family member to call your number to check on what you have to offer and what you charge so they can compete against you.

It makes it more stronger what I mentioned above is true because you mentioned the individuals told you the party is months away. If it is another entertainment company calling to find out about you, they do not want to mention the party is around the corner because you might already be booked, with no need to give them any information.

It is best to go with the flow because you will never know who the person really is. It might be the president's nephew.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you spend all of your time and energy looking back you just might miss that truck bearing down on you.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I had one yesturday from a woman wanting to book me for this coming weekend. For a childrens party at 9pm at night. She had already knocked me down in price by 14% but since I was basically passing the venue on my way home from the previous show, I accepted. I then tried to get the venue details and she said she would text it me. I tried to get her contact number and she said it would be in the text. I asked for her name, and she said that was would be in the text also. She then said I have a plane to catch and will be away for the next few days but she'll text me the details in a few minutes.

At this point, something was wrong. Who doest tell the entertainer they booked for a show in 4 days time there own name? She then went on to specifically use the words 'we have a booking'. For which I reply, once I get the text (although I don't think she was listenng to me). I gave her my mobile number and waited. Its been 24 hours and ive recieved nothing. Thankfully caller id gave me her number so she has 12 more hours to call me before she gets a surprise call from me (she doesn't know I have her number).

Everything about the call was weird.

Ive had others. Once a client called to enquiry about my availability at midnight. I wasant happy about that.

Then you get the calls from overseas asking ou to work in some foreign holiday destination. Ive heard mixed stories about these, some are apprently okay. But any holiday camp that does not use the standard agency route for artistes is suspicious.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Email scam dealing with booking a show:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are "suspicious calls"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL