We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2013 entrée: Jolly Roger » » The dreaded age difference » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
One of my worst and most memorable experiences from years ago was performing for a very small assortment of kids. Outdoors, in the grass, bugs flying by .... couple of boys and girls about 8-10 years old and a 4 & a 6 year old.

As long as it was fast and silly, the younger ones were on, but the older kids not so much. But in the middle of a routine that had the older kids involved, the 4-yr-old walks right up to me, declares "You're boring!", and runs off to find some bugs of crayons to play with.

I've heard many times that "a good performer can engage all the ages at once." So you walk into the party of 5-6 year old boys, and there's the couple of tweens that got drug along. Or you're at the family gathering and have the aunt and uncle pulled into the routine - and notice the little rug rats getting restless.

Can you describe some of the ways you have engaged such differing appetites, appreciations, imaginations, and attention spans in your performances so that they all were glad to give you their attention?

Ed
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
This is an interesting question Ed. There must be a reason, but I can honestly say that it is not something that has ever happened to me in over 50 years of entertaining children. I am concerned about the title of this thread: "the dreaded age difference", and I think that herein may lie the problem. We have talked before about your negativity, and putting obstacles in your way. As a children's entertainer, nothing should be considered "dreaded", as that immediately puts out a negative signal. "Thoughts become things." In other words, if a kid is misbehaving, and you get fearful that the show is getting out of hand, and you start to clam up, the kids will catch on to your emotion, and everything will start going downhill from there. What I suggest is that if ever a kid steps out of line in your judgment you start inwardly chuckling to yourself, and use this kid as an opportunity to actually enhance your show. How you do that will be something only you can only discover from experience. What I am saying is look inside yourself first, remain positive in the situation, and that positivity will reflect in your show. Everything we do in life is a mirror of our thoughts. This is a very deep subject, and I have only just touched the surface, but I hope it makes some sort of sense!!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
My apologies if this didn't take well in the first post. The experience was from about 12 years ago, when I thought having a few "great tricks" made me an entertainer. And the title is simply from the neophyte's point of view: "I know 6-year-old tricks, and I know 12-year-old tricks, but I don't know this one!!"

It's something that crops up often enough in the Little Darlings. Usually the responses are along the lines of "my show entertains everyone" or "I've got a Coloring Book routine that the adults enjoy more than the kids". And I agree that there are many ways to craft a routine for all ages. But rarely are any details of these "miracle routines" described.

But if someone is asking that question, their mind has not yet been taken in those directions. Their imagination just can't see it, or they wouldn't be asking. I've "been there, done that", sitting at home after the show dejected because one of my favorite routines fell flat for this very reason.

After 12 years, I've been able to move ahead with my stuff, but with my part-time schedule I simply don't have the wealth of experience you do. I just thought I'd see if I can coax some added insights out of you while you're here.

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2013 entrée: Jolly Roger » » The dreaded age difference » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL