We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2013 entrée: Jolly Roger » » How to treat your child volunteers » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hey Jolly Roger,

What is your philosophy on gags and sucker tricks for kids? Do you always try to make the children the hero of your effects?
Also,
When it comes to birthday parties, what special treatment do you do for the birthday child?

I have a couple of gag magical effects that I play on the parents, and it always gets great reactions.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 02:35, scottds80 wrote:
Hey Jolly Roger,

What is your philosophy on gags and sucker tricks for kids? Do you always try to make the children the hero of your effects?
Also,
When it comes to birthday parties, what special treatment do you do for the birthday child?

I have a couple of gag magical effects that I play on the parents, and it always gets great reactions.

Greetings Scott! When you say "Gags" I presume you are talking about visual gags and bits of business rather than jokes. If this is the case, I actually believe that is the essence of the show especially for younger kids. The tricks are secondary. I love sucker tricks, and often do more than one in my show. Generally I do make the child the hero in my tricks. Having said that, I read a lot of nonsense on forums about stuff like not letting a child hold a breakaway wand because they might be traumatized for life. Ridiculous!!! If you do it right, kids know that you are having fun with them and will play along with it all. I naturally make a bit of a fuss of the birthday child, but I don't overdo it. I have them helping me at least once in my show, usually for the first routine, but it is also important to involve their friends. I usually ask them who their best friend is, and get them to help as well. Be aware that sometimes the birthday child is shy and does not wish to help. Never force this on them like I have seen some entertainers do! I note that you do a couple of effects for the parents. This is fine as long as the children are involved and understand the gag, as the show is for them.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What about gifts for volunteers? Does a child need to be given something in their hand after being on stage?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-07-02 16:07, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
What about gifts for volunteers? Does a child need to be given something in their hand after being on stage?

No! It is totally unnecessary. The child will just play with it instead of watching your show, and other kids will be distracted. The very fact that the child is chosen in the first place is reward enough, and they are usually thrilled to be your helper!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2013 entrée: Jolly Roger » » How to treat your child volunteers » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL