The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » "Born" - a ball manipulation DVD (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22042 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 07:33, AbsoluteZero wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 02:28, Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 01:50, AbsoluteZero wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 01:41, Intrepid wrote:
I'm having problems with the shell sticking. What brand of manipulation balls are you using?

Me and Bond used a mixture of Fakini, JL and JieLi. What brand are you using?

I'm using 2" Fakini. I'll give Bill's suggestion a try. I believe Levent also prepares his shell like that.
Thanks

The circle pad is a good idea.

Personally I didn't apply a pad inside the shell. I kept the stack pretty loose for those moves.

It is a personal body thing American's are just larger people then Asian people, thus it is harder to get the fingers positioned in the correct place. I decided on this method after finding that I would drop the shells because they were not in the proper position between the fingers. I wear a finger ring size of 11, thus there is not way to be in the correct position without some spacers. The ball and shell has to be able to pivot over the respective fingers. This is the only way I found to keep everything in the proper position to work correctly.

Just a method that is working for me, and making it less difficult.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
952 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I should of said this before, but I am impressed with the Born DVD and would recommend it to anyone looking take their billard ball manipulation to the next level. As Bill noted above, the presentations are clear and easy to follow. The moves will take practice to master. A giant thank you to everyone involved in the production of this DVD.

Bob
Bob
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Intrepid:

Thank you for the support.
gchen99
View Profile
New user
Burnaby BC
34 Posts

Profile of gchen99
Looks interesting. thinking about learnning Ballard ball. Very elegant.
but I can't even do every well with what I've learned lol
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 04:24, gchen99 wrote:
Looks interesting. thinking about learnning Ballard ball. Very elegant.
but I can't even do every well with what I've learned lol

Take your time and you will get there.
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
FYI guys, there are two types of packaging of 'born' available in the market now.
The DVD either comes in black case or translucent (white) case.
Both of them are genuine copies, so don't worry about it. Smile

Ian
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 13:47, Bill Hegbli wrote:

None of the material is what I would call easy, except the Laurie Ireland Ball Through Silk trick, where the ball is shown halfway through the silk handkerchief.

Hi Bill! Thanks for the fine comments on the routine. This young man has "done his homework"!

The BALL THRU SILK PENETRATION>>>I've used this since 1953. At the MAES convention in Lancaster, PA, I "invested" ONE DOLLAR with Wilfrid Syltten (sp?) who worked with the stage name: SATAN! I think he was a "dealer" in PA. He was walking around the convention floor, selling "his" method for a buck.

Awhile later, I picked up a booklet written by a Walter Schwartz in >>1931<<. The booklet was a "collection" of tricks by "contributors". BILL WILLISTON had contributed the BALL THRU SILK (as a close up trick). Whether Laurie did it first, is a possibility, but I'm inclined to think that Williston "invente
My pals Billy McComb and Neil Foster also used it for years. (I believe Billy did it on one of the Stevens tapes about 20 years ago. He said he found it most useful when doing a TV spot where he only had a minute or less.)

I've always wondered why more magicians haven't picked it up and used it.

I did the John Booth multiplying ball routine when I was 16, and kept it "in" for about 12 years (I think). I finally realized that the Williston penetration and the Percy Abbott Perpetual Balls got more and better response than the multiplying segment of the routine. For the past 48 +/- years,I start with a few flourishes and do those two bits. It's a STRONG three minutes!

Jay knew Williston. I wish that I had discussed it with Jay.

Again, thanks for your scholarly comments!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22042 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Oslund, you make me blush! Smile

AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Big thanks to Bojan for doing the crediting for this DVD! Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Bill H?>>>>>>>No need to blush! Your comment caught my eye, and since I've used the ball penetration so long, I just wanted to "set the record straight".

It IS possible that Laurie was first, but, I knew Frances for 40 + years, and she never mentioned it (nor did Jay).

Laurie was definitely an inventive and very clever performer. --and YOU are a very well informed magician!

I remember (about 50+ years ago) working out of my little prop case. I thought I had a very practical, --and "original" idea. Then I picked up an IRELAND YEAR BOOK FOR 1944 [!] and found that Laurie and Frances had written up the idea a year BEFORE I had even started performing!

O
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22042 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Oslund, now I really don't know who invented the ball through silk, only that Laurie Ireland is credited for it. Recently, I have been reading some of my old books and found one statement that made me wonder. The performer stated that he would open his act with the Ball through Silk, the half penetration effect that Ireland describes. I should really make notes of things that are drawn my attention.

In the Ade Duval Silken Sorcerer book by David Charvet, he mentions that Ireland released the manufacturer of his rubber golf balls in the 1920, so I would think that the penetrating ball though silk was around a long time.

AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22042 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, AbsoluteZero wrote:
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuj6IvlrdQw

An interesting review.

I was set back a little in that David Penn did not see the value in this learning DVD and the unique offering it contained to the manipulation magician. If one does not have any interest in a subject, it is hard to see the value and the skill to create real stage magic without limited gimmicks. What stood out for me was his only comment was the performers slow performance technique. We all know or should know that with the proper information we can all choose the speed at which we wish to present the information learned.

This is an exciting and valuable DVD for the information it contains in presenting a solo stage act.

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1435 Posts

Profile of JNeal
A side note to say how nice it is to see Bill back with the forum and posting again!!

Welcome back Bill!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was just "surfing" this AM and note that Bill Hegbli has returned! Wilkommen, Bienvenu, Welcome!
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
952 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I always look forward to reading Bill's comments, as they are packed full of insightful advice.
Bob
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Bill: Regarding the ball thru silk!

I bought my first set of Ireland Golf Balls in 1947, and the ball thru silk was not mentioned in the instructions. I'm GUESSING that Frances heard of the idea and added it much later to the basic Ireland instructions.

I have a much later set of the printed instructions, and the idea is more or less added as a "P.S." (typewritten and added to the letter press job)!!

It's really not worth "fighting over" (hee hee). I just mentioned it, to give credit to Bill Williston, as his ides was the first time I saw it in print. As I noted much earlier, I paid Wilfred Syltten (sp?) one buck for the idea at an MAES CONVENTION in 1953. (I found the Schwartz booklet years later)It was one of the best $ that I ever spent for magic knowledge. It and Percy Abbott's "version" of the repeat cigar trick of Dr. Zola (Perpetual Balls--also $1.00--in 1950)are now the main bits in my ball routine. Oh! I also use Karrell Fox's BALLOMAATIC (four ball production) which Karrell suggested in the mid '80s. If I were a kid againm breaking in, in a carny sideshow, I could make a living with this one routine!

If you happen to find that informatiion in the old book (where the performer mentions opening his act with it)I would appreciate your giving me the reference. Like Jay Marshall, I am fascinated with knowing where "something" came from.

I'm writing up my complete ball routine in the book.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22042 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Oslund,

Gee, I guess you read my post the wrong way. You made a statement of your experience, and as a curious person, I wrote my experience and knowledge of where I discovered it. Hopefully, prompting you to explain further your experience, as I like to read your stories. I was not stating that Ireland was the 1st and only place it was published, just that that is where I have only seen it in print. I guess I am guilty of being like people today. They see something on YouTube and that is the person who invented it. I used the word credited, when I should have said something like, printed in the Ireland Multiplying Golf Ball instructions.

Thank you for your further clarification, and insight. In 1947, I was just an egg waiting to hatch!

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, I'm glad you hatched!!!

Not to worry! "Cold print" can be so easily misunderstood!

It's all Jay Marshall's fault! (hee hee) Jay was very well read, and had known so many of the old timers (especially east coast guys)that he could quickly name the "inventor" of darn near every "move" or "technique", and he "infected" me!

When a young guy asks me where I "got" a technique, I like to be able to tell him. I suspect --no-- I think that you feel the same way. Anyhow, the ball thru silk is a darn good trick!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » "Born" - a ball manipulation DVD (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL