The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Bookers and Agents (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I am seriously looking for an Agent and a list of Bookers in the New York area. Which woud include New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. I have a very strong opening act for Comedy Clubs, Hotels, etc.
Any help please.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Using Google will be your best bet.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2013-07-03 17:06, Scott Burton wrote:
Using Google will be your best bet.

I have been trying Google for years, no help.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
This should get you started. Good luck.

http://www.yellowpages.com/new-york-ny/talent-agencies

Mark.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Im betting you googled them thinking like a magician wanting an agent. Search for them like a person shopping for entertainment for their event (you can find them in basically any market you are hoping for)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Call the clubs directly. They will tell you who to call.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Thanks guys for all you rhelp

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10127 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Since the comedy club circuit is only a shell of what it once was, most clubs book themselves or use a "booker" that books them. I would not call them an agency in the true sense of the word, but they may book several clubs. The best way to find them is to simply call the club and ask about a booking. They'll either refer you to the in-house person, usually a manager or owner. or will give you the bookers info you're seeking.

Seems most of the once popular agencies that used to book comedy rooms have disappeared or only book the same handful of comics...over and over again in the same few rooms. Comedy needs a kick in the a**.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
A thought that just hit me...If you can find someone sort of famous who has worked the kind of clubs / locations you're considering, check with them. They should be able to tell you who their agent is and you can find them that way.

It's easy to find the agents of bands like Gov't Mule, Lynyrd Skynrd, Allman Bros., Ricky Scaggs, Zac Brown, Doobie Bros., etc... If you looked into people like David Copperfield, The Amazing Johnathan, Carl Andrews, etc...you can see who's booking them and give them a call.

Just an idea...

Mark.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harry
IMHO the only people who are likely to book you at a banquet, resort, or corporate affair are agencies who book bands.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Al, thanks for sharing your humble thoughts and opinions. They're really helpful.

My reference to bands was only that people who use agents to get booked, let people know who their agents are so they can get booked, and was only an example. Obviously, very obviously, a magician or comedian would NOT be using the agents of a musical group.

My using that was only as an example of how one can possibly find who some agents might be. Since music is a big part of my life, and everyone is familiar with bands, having been to concerts at a local civic center or coliseum, then they may understand the concept of the example put forth, since acts that travel and perform for others like that do not (with possible exceptions) book themselves.

Being the much wiser one, I'm sure you're getting ready to share your personal experience....thus we'll wait for your suggestions. I'm sure they'll be spot on.

No. Do NOT try to find an agent who books musical acts. Instead, find a magician or comedian who gets booked and try to find out who they use. I'm sure it would be much more useful.

Happy 4th of July Al. Thank you for your service in the Navy to help protect our country.

Mark.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10127 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Another of the problems is there is no money in booking comedy cubs, therefore not many agencies care about this market. Almost always those that do book comedy clubs are also/former comedians themselves or management of a comedy club.

The same holds true for other lower-end types of entertainment. Kids parties, restaurants, the senior market, etc. These are typically all priced under $500 per booking, many as little as $150, so there is absolutely no way that an agency can make any money on this level of bookings unless there is some major volume, which is usually much more work that it's worth as that effort could be put int something more profitable. Unless they use in-house acts only.

Then when an agency does attempt to book these markets, say a kids party for $300, and the agency needs to make enough to pay the agent and for the agency to make a profit, they end of only being able to offer the talent a smaller amount, then they come on here and b**ch that "this agent wants me to do a booking for only $xxx.00, they're a rip-off, stay away from them. Unless the talent gets this there will never be much work on this level of booking from agents, unless they're willing to work for peanuts.

Just a few more thoughts. Happy Independence Day!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
All helpful, Thanks guys

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Comedian Steve Roye talks about the comedy club market here: http://youtu.be/Xkb0_m0bqHo
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Bookers and Agents (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL