The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tips for avoiding scams. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I think I see this more clearly now, too. It'd be better to return the check, because it was for too much money.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't cash it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Call the bank that it was allededly issued from, and ask them if they issued it. It must have a serial number on it. After you call the bank I would suggest you have your cashiers check framed and hung on your office wall. Don't bother sending it to the FBI they are already swimming in bogus US bank cashier checks from eastern European countries.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Your greed is their way in.

Not you Al. You are dead on balls accurate.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
In reality there are many red flags to the scenario Al offered. First of all why would they be interested in you for their out of state job. I don't mean this as any type of diss or insult, but there would have to have been a specific reason in a real scenario for this to occur. There would have to be a reason or justification as to why they aren't booking someone local or regional. Usually in real situations of this type you can trace the backstory. How did they hear about you? In a real situation they would have probably seen you somewhere, likely would have talked to you at that gig, and so on. There are many indicators to a real situation and the scam one.

Rarely in all my years of being a performing professional do interested people ever say "money is no object, what do you charge". You can also do some homework for verification by contacting the venue to confirm that they do have a date reserved and speak to the banquet director, rep or manager to find out all you can to verify the facts you've been told. Ask if they can confirm the person in question. You can also ask for certified funds or a wire transfer which is quite common on national level gigs or higher-end pricing and terms.

Once you have done this long enough, you will get "a feeling" by the conversation that something isn't right. Another red flag is no one ever books you directly by only a single e-mail. Also if you know how to qualify a potential customer you can have in measures in place to detour or prevent these types of scam and situations.

At the stage you are at, I wouldn't be too worried about this as there are many other things you should be concerned with at this point. Remember if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The first red flag should be the very bad English. These con artists from eastern Europe learn their English from a text book and their terrible expressions should be an instant giveaway. Also they have no concept of proper punctuation.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 15:26, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
I think I see this more clearly now, too. It'd be better to return the check, because it was for too much money.

Or you can email another magician and tell him you will hire him and your sending him a check and he should send YOU the excess funds...LOL
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I used to email them back that they can pick up the check for the overpayment at 26 Federal Plaza (that is the FBI office in New York City).
I had a guy book a party in my neighborhood for an address that was being built (like I would not check that). He sent two bogus money orders. Both way over the fee that was asked for.
He said one was for the chocolate fountain lady. I gave the money orders to the Postal Inspector.
Best one, I had a check sent from the West Coast drawn on a Florida Bank. The account was closed and the payment was way over the fee ask for.
I palyed with the guy for a while. I kept telling him I could not cash the check because of my low balance. Then Itold him I lost the addres where to send the refund.
Every time I did that, he would send me a different address.
Now I just ignore those fake gigs.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:

Thanks for asking, for the past seven months I have been in the hospital, or in bed, I am still not working, but feeling good enough to return to the café.

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I hope your recovery quickens and you return to good health!
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Thanks for this, I feel like I understand this a lot better now!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 00:27, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for asking, for the past seven months I have been in the hospital, or in bed, I am still not working, but feeling good enough to return to the café.

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I hope your recovery quickens and you return to good health!

Thanks Zombie, I appreciate your kind words
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tips for avoiding scams. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL