The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Coins "across" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gamgick73
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gamgick73
Been collecting Bar and Pub bets for many years and haven't seen this one performed for quite a while (possibly for a good reason?)
The situation is as follows: A person is sitting at a table where you place a silver coin to his/her left and a bronze or copper coin to their right.
The "betcha" is for the person to change the places of the coins (so that the bronze/copper coin is now on their left and the silver coin is on the right).
The condition however is that they cannot cross the coins over or around each other - and they cannot cross their arms (a la knot in rope).

If anyone's interested I'll post the solution - if no-ones interested- I won't.
zactudor
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of zactudor
Havent seen it but is it that you move them to the opposite side of the table so silver which was on left now on right and vice versa?
gamgick73
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gamgick73
Think the method you are implying would involve the coins crossing their "paths". The solution my friend is far more simple. Facing the table you simply pick up a coin in each hand then turn your body 180 degrees ( so your back is now against the table) . From this position you replace the coins back onto the table albeit from a position where you are actually facing away from the position where the coins will be placed. You have met the conditions of the bet by not crossing your hands or the paths of the coins. You simply turn your body around and replace the coins from the front to the back of your body.
Thanks for your interest.

Mick
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I'd just get up and go sit on the opposite side of the table. Now the silver is on the right, the bronze is on the left. And I haven't even touched the coins.
gamgick73
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gamgick73
What if the coins were placed on a surface directly in front of a wall?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I'd pull the table away from the wall and spin it around 180 degrees. Which would be another way of doing it even without a wall.

It's a fine betcha but the way you worded it was "change the places of the coins". If you want the person to have to settle on your solution you need to somehow word it so that the person must "move" or somehow touch the coins, or something to that effect. Somehow narrow it down. Because I know if you posed it to me that way, especially without suddenly introducing the element of a wall, I'd just do what I said, go sit on the other side of the table.

It's the easiest and most obvious solution to me. And it can be done without even touching the coins. In fact if someone posed that betcha to me and I suspected they were looking for the turn around and grab the coins move, I'd up the ante and say I'll do it without touching them.
gamgick73
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gamgick73
And what would you do if the coins were placed on a surface that is permanently fixed to a wall?

If you don't like this one your'e going HATE the next one I'm going to post....
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I don't like it and I'm not going to answer it. Because that's not how things work. You set up the intial situation and I beat it. Then all of the sudden you move the goal posts back and start introducing new conditions. So I gave you another solution. You're already down two. You don't get to add any more "what's if's". If the bet requires a surface that is permanently fixed to a wall, or any other condition to get the solution that YOU want, you have to establish that upfront.
gamgick73
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gamgick73
For those of you who are interested in more betchas watch this space....(please note all for fun)
gamgick73
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gamgick73
Look out for "Capit" .....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Coins "across" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL