The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What happens to your Magic Collection when you die? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
What happens to your Magic Collection when you die?

I've got about 300 tricks. Mostly pocket trick kind of stuff (Tenyo, Magic Wagon, Warner, generic
kind of stuff) Whenever I pass I would like to leave written instructions for my kids. I'm pretty sure they have no interest
in keeping it.

Notes- 1- I do have an itemized excel spreadsheet listing everything, many have a cost basis listed, but not all.
2- Many items are on display the rest boxed up in the basement.
3- Some displayed have original packaging, some I received in a Baggie. While that info is on the spreadsheet they would need to know the name of the trick displayed to match it up.

Four Choices?

1- Advise them to sell it all individually - maximizes money received. Problem, Since they have no idea what they are looking at, there would be a large learning curve to organize and list it all. & My kids have done OK for themselves so I doubt the would want the hassle of figuring it all out.

2- Sell it all wholesale as one lot. Just take pictures & print the spreadsheet. Simplest Solution- Problem - how to find an honest buyer willing to pay a fair price without my help.

3- Donate it all!! I think I really like this idea. Just pack it all up and donate it all. Let the charity match it all up and then they can take the tax write off. BUT, Are there any charities you know of who would be interested in this??

4- Advise them to box it all up, label Magic Collection, and maybe the grandkids when they got older would open it one day and wreck it all Smile or enjoy it all. PROBLEM - I have seen a lot of problems in families trying to divide their parents stuff up. Even unimportant stuff.

Have you left any written instructions for your family?

What are your thoughts on this? Has this been covered elsewhere here?

Thanks for any help on this.

Ed
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Maybe we could create a committee of magicians to take ownership of it, preserve historical and collectors items and pass the rest along to struggling magicians who are just starting out.

Just an ideer.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Bill Hegbli started a similar conversation about this here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=34#6
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Choice 5--start getting to know some young magicians. Will it to them with the proviso they may not sell within a specified number of years.
escherwolf
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of escherwolf
I've made a bequest of all my books, periodicals and DVDs to the Will Alma Magic Collection in the Victorian (Australia) Library.There it will all be available for magicians and historian to research.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I don't know how it is in Australia, but in the US that's probably not such a good idea. There are many stories of public libraries being very underfunded and the collections just sit in cartons in the basement somewhere, with no one to properly archive them, until they decide to throw them out for lack of space. Sad, but true.
DollarThief
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DollarThief
I don't worry about it. I won't be around. Heh. None of my stuff is really worth anything though.
escherwolf
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of escherwolf
Landmark, its nor a problem. The Victorian Library is a state library, not a local public library. The Will Alma collection is well looked after, and has been featured on two or three TV shows. It does not allow access by the general public, but magicians and historical researchers can book access for research purposes. It is quite a large collection and well maintained. You can look up the Will Alma collection on google.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah, sounds fascinating, thanks.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Wonder if there is a U.S. equivalent to to Will Alma collection
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I've always wondered how much stuff gets discarded either because family members don't understand the value or just don't want to be bothered selling it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Don"t really matter to me as long as
my wife's new boyfriend doesn't play
with it.lol
Todd
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Take it with you like the pharaohs of old so you can play with it in the afterlife.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
But if I'm planning to grab it on the way out, should I put it in the attic or the basement? Hmmm...
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Ever since I began buying Magic, I've kept and copied all the tricks instructions and have them in binders with alphabetical dividers. I've categorized them either by the name of the trick, or, types of tricks, wands, for instance, and finally by manufacturer, Mikame, Viking, etc.

All my stuff, books, dvds, tricks, props, etc. is kept pretty much in the same place in my house so anyone who must deal with it will at least have reference to what's there. I keep telling myself to do a spreadsheet with tricks and what I paid for them for a cost basis, but haven't had the inclination to get started yet.

No one in my immediate family is the least interested in magic and it'd be wasted if I left it to any of them. If I leave the planet before my wife, I've told her to sell it all as a single lot, or auction it somehow.

If I outlast her, then I'll probably put it all in my will to be donated, but as has been discussed, to who (at least here in the US anyway? Perhaps to the nearest local magic club to do with as they wish. That's my present thinking anyway.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Bob1,
You're family wont need a cost basis if you die!
Ask your accountant.

Ed
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Donating it to a magic club might be a good idea. It will go to good use if its ever going to.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 23:42, scottds80 wrote:
Donating it to a magic club might be a good idea. It will go to good use if its ever going to.

Several local magicians have passed away. The local SAM and IBM clubs have auctioned the items for the estates. A local magician reached the point where he could not perform. He asked that some of his items be taken to the club for people to take what they could use.

If there is a local young magician club, they would be a good place to give things too.

I hope this all isn't necessary for a long time for you.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 19:03, edshern wrote:
Bob1,
Ask your accountant.

Ed

Ed,
I guess I was more advocating my getting some sort of cost basis just so I knew what the total value of the stuff is for my own reckoning. But what are you driving at here, just curious because my accountant doesn't have a clue about the worth of my magic collection?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 22:23, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 19:03, edshern wrote:
Bob1,
Ask your accountant.

Ed

Ed,
I guess I was more advocating my getting some sort of cost basis just so I knew what the total value of the stuff is for my own reckoning. But what are you driving at here, just curious because my accountant doesn't have a clue about the worth of my magic collection?

Bob,
I'm not an accountant, but;
1- knowing what you paid is not relevant to it's value today.
2- Knowing what you paid is only really important for tax calculation
3-When you sell something you pay capital gains on the appreciated value (selling price less cost)
4- However, when you die the market vale is added to your estate, they estate pays taxes on that value, and your heirs get the collection at a 'stepped up basis' .
5- by ask an accountant, I meant to learn how to calculate the tax on appreciated value. You would have to tell him their value.

Does that help?

Best,
Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What happens to your Magic Collection when you die? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL