The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Cane To Table...Which version to buy? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi group

I am buying a set of Cane To Table..but not sure which co. to buy....

2 brand comes into mind...the latest version offer by Tannen or the Nieslen Version....hope anyone can advise which is a better buy & the Pro & con....

btw, will the verion by Tannen rust easily...is Tannen well known for making cane to table..any other co offer this..?

lastly, where can I get a gd Collaspibe top hat...thanks for any help

Warmest Regards
DOVEBOY

--------------------
Doveboy Smile
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
Here is a link for the collapsible top hat

http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......e=041757

I think Ronjo did have the Nielsen cane on sale. Not sure if they still have them.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Doveboy,
I have seen several versions of this prop. The Norm Nielson is superior for all reason from construction, stability and quality of manufacturing and materials.
It is the most expensive but worth every dime.
Remember, even though it is the most stable version, it still can only handle lighter weight objects.
Ya can't go wrong with Norm!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I've used two cane to table props for my manipulation act. The oldest of the two I bought at Tannens about 30 years ago and it worked fine although a little unstable. You slide one component into the other and the legs would pop out. The Nielsen vesion is truly a professionally made prop. The legs spin out into place with a slight twist of the wrist. The pod is very stable. The cane unscrews like a pool cue at the center to make it easier to transport. I highly recommend it.
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Dove Boy,
I bought a cane to table over 30 years ago and only paid $50.00 for it and $50.00 for the top hat. When the knob is removed from the top of the cane the three lets spring outward. I think it was made in Holland, but I'm not sure. Since then , I found a miniature tripod that I used when doing titling with my 35 mm camera. I cut the swivel top off the tripod and attached a hollow broom handle to the tripod with a couple of screws. I words really well and cost me a $6.00 broom handle. It looks almost the same as the Marcello Contendo Cane to table.
Darryl the Wizard. Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Top hats can be found on Ebay.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
I use the Neilsen Cane to Table and am very happy with it. It is solid and reliable and I feel looks classy. It is an item I've never been sorry I purchased. I use a collapsible hat I got from Stevens Magic. One slight problem is that the tiny nut in the center is rusted slightly, but this does not affect the working at all.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Kenton Knepper has a nice one on his site : wonderwizards.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dove-boy

I also own the Norm Neilsen Top Cane Table, It it the finest you can get. There is no match anywhere.

It depends what you are going to use it for. If used only for the Michael Finney Gag, any would do.

One thing not mentioned by others you must glue the table plate into a hat. Luckly, I had a collaspable hat from the 1970's, so I did not mind cutting a hole in it and glueing the insert inside. Today a good top hat can cost upwards of $200. They sell a cheap $40 collaspable model, but I have not seen these in person only a picture.

As far as Tannen goes, they have a policy that they can send anything they have in stock at the time of your order. So you never really know what you will be getting. So if you order a Neilsen for $500, they will send you a $200 one and charge you $500. That is how I read their substituation policy. I may be wrong, but I just don't trust them anymore after Lou Tannen sold to Spinna.

Just my take on things.

Bill
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Dove-boy...get the Nielsen one. It will always hold its value, which is another consideration for you, that has not yet been addressed. When it comes time to sell it, I guaran-dam-tee you will have a lineup of magicians waving $ in the air.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Another vote for the Nielsen Table here. I was lucky enought to pick one up second hand, complete with opera hat for $250.00.
It is the perfect addition to my Napkin EatingRazor Blade Swallowing act as it brings it a much needed touch of class.
I also built a cigar box that fits on top of the cane as well that I use in walkaround. The box holds some larger props and gives me a small and highly portable surface to work on.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
keith2606
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of keith2606
Is it easy to put the table gimmick on the top hat? How do you do it?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2015, keith2606 wrote:
Is it easy to put the table gimmick on the top hat? How do you do it?

Go up and read my post.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I am not sure who made my cane and top hat table, but I put a strong magnet inside the top of the cane ferrule and a strong magnet inside of the top hat so that one attracts the another. Very strong assembly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Cane To Table...Which version to buy? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL