The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Henry Evans LIVE: Sunday July 14th, @7:00pm Eastern ( Penguin LIVE ) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic

FISM Card Magic Champion and world class magician, Henry Evans will take the lecture stage!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3604

What will he teach?

Gimmicked Effects

Silk through transparent bag!!!
Time machine
Silk monte (using a silk and 3 paper bags)
Linking rubber bands
Torn and restored flash thread
Cards Know, Version 1, and 2
Chinese misers dream, linked with Four for ever (a complete routine using chinesse jumbo coins)
An incredible Three Card Monte method!
Borrowed Deck Effects
Double prediction

Control Cuts

Imposible control (version 1)
Imposible control (version 2)
Three cards together
Perfect triumph
Four aces and four decks
Visual control: Immediately know the position of any card from a borrowed deck that the spectator shuffles themselves!
Control using musical technique

Openers:

Fastest trip in the world (opener using a silk)
Modern times (This was the opener of Henry’s FISM act)
3D advertising (version 1 and 2)

Closers:

The cards experts
Cutting ten
The ten exact cuts

Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I'm not familiar with Henry Evans. Looks like he'll be teaching quite a bit. Are there any stand out effects that he's known for?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2013-07-09 17:18, Steve Suss wrote:
I'm not familiar with Henry Evans. Looks like he'll be teaching quite a bit. Are there any stand out effects that he's known for?

He is known for quite a bit. I've seen my buddy demo 3D advertising which is great

Risky Bet is a recent close up effect he is known for.

He is one that uses gaffs/gimmicks quite often, but to a great effect.
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
Though will be a great and entertaining lecture... (Ive seen Hwwnry lecture twice b4), it might be dealer demos galore with effects you won't be able to perform without buying his effects. I hope he spends a lot of time discussing his thoughts on the trick that can not be explained.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
He's going to teach The ten exact cuts! It's a $40 marketed effect, but you can make it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDR_9V11D......be&t=14s

Here's what Doc Eason said about Ten Exact Cuts:

"A visiting magician performed this for me. I had not ever seen it before.

I shuffled the cards and he took the deck back, showed the cards thoroughly shuffled. He then quickly cut it into 10 piles. The first packet had just one card! The second packet contained two cards, the third three cards and so on, all the way through to the last packet containing exactly 10 cards!

I was mildly impressed but that was just the start. The top card of each packet is then turned over (remember I shuffled the deck!), and the first card is the Ace of Spades. The card on top of the second packet is the Two of Spades, on top of the third packet is the Three of Spades and so on all the way through the rest of the packets! My jaw began to drop.

The Ace through Ten of Spades are then set aside and the deck is reassembled.

I was more impressed.

The Jack, the Queen and King of Spades were produced with a flourish!

I was reeling from this when he cut the deck again into three piles and each contained thirteen cards of the remaining suits, in numerical order!

I was blown away. Knocked me off my barstool".
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Henry Evans is one of the most underestimated magicians of last 10 years or so and mainly for one reason... He uses gimmicks... A LOT OF EM! Purists and technicians don't like this but they also miss that most of Evans magic looks like real magic. Most of his effects look like magic just happens. He doesn't do anything! But as mentioned this "cleanliness" has its price.

Its interesting to see the list of the effects above since most of em are gaffed and dealer items. Penguin lectures havent usually been "dealer demos" so it will be interesting to see how this lecture will work. But one thing is certain, there will be lot of clear and visual effects.

J-M
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
This looks like its going to be a great one!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I bought 3D advertising and ten exact cuts, and they are great effects!!
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
His silk through bag is incredible.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Henry Evans tonight!
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I love watching what Henry Evans comes up with but as a Penguin Lecture I'm just not sure about this one, since most of the content IS going to be 'gaffed' - and heavily so. It'll be great to see his thinking but I suspect very little in terms of routines to take away and perform.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
2 minutes to go for Henry to take the stage!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Henry Evans is so good, I don't want to know the secrets, because it looks like real magic. Just frightening stuff.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Wow!!! What else is there to say? My only other question is why did he need an interpreter? His English is excellent and his accent is charming. He totally fooled me and was very entertaining.
Steve
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-14 23:07, Steve Suss wrote:
Wow!!! What else is there to say? My only other question is why did he need an interpreter? His English is excellent and his accent is charming. He totally fooled me and was very entertaining.
Steve

AGREED!

I thought about the interpreter and I can only think that because he's an international star in many Spanish speaking countries, as a courtesy to them, they did both.

Over 4 hrs. in length, of mind blowing magic!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Dealer show or is everything doable/makeable?
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
This was one of the best lectures I have ever seen. I will likely write a formal review after watching it again, but it was absolutely amazing.

I am a big fan of Richard Osterlind's. When he lectures, he always brings in real world experience, and he shows a tremendous respect and admiration for the classics of mentalism. Henry Evans is that way with the classics of magic.

This was incredible. It is definitely a must-have lecture if you do magic.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Eric,

Most of the stuff is doable/makeable.

Bobby
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Years ago, I had a telephone conversation with Ken de Courcy (RIP), and he told me, "Sleight of hand is a gimmick you do not have to get rid of."

We all use gimmicks.

Bobby
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I do love these Penguin lectures, however I do hate how they advertise that you can 'DOWNLOAD NOW!' if you purchase. They tweet to this effect also... however this simply isn't true - you cannot buy and download NOW. You have to wait until the lecture is uploaded, which is generally 24-48 hours after the event.

Now I don't have a problem with waiting but I do have a problem with being told that it's available NOW when this is simply not true.

Anyway, patiently waiting for this one to be uploaded so I can download NOW!
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Henry Evans LIVE: Sunday July 14th, @7:00pm Eastern ( Penguin LIVE ) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL