The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » To lure with spectacle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
185 Posts

Profile of Endless West
I'm new(er) to magic. Well, to serious magic. Like everyone else I was interested as a child and had a Svengali deck, but never took it serious enough. Soon enough it became just another one of those things I like but don't really do.
I recently came to the realization that I'm just not meant to be in one place forever. I'm a traveler and an adventurer at heart. I've decided to buy a cheap sailboat and live on the water, sailing to places I want to see and be.
With this epiphany came the other realization.. How am I going to buy food and diesel?
A few months ago I also got back into practicing little card tricks. I noticed that I had a greater respect and appreciation for the act of doing the tricks, as well as the reactions they bring to people. I began reading a few magic books and practicing sleights. I joined up with a local magician that invited me to the local Sam assembly. I've started to get serious about learning the art.
It suddenly hit me one day.. I'm a street person. I sell hot dogs out of a hot dog cart for a living. I spend all my time out on the street. Why not combine my love for being on the streets with my new found love for magic.. In fact, if I can get good enough at magic to perform on the street and draw a tip, then I can sail that boat anywhere in the world and guarantee that I'll have a meal coming.
So I've been practicing magic and reading and reading and reading. I decided to read the preview to jimmy talksalot's busking manual "to lure with spectacle". The preview is absolutely great and I'm definitely going to order a copy. One thing stuck out to me more than anything else though. Something that plagues me in everything I do that is touched on by jimmy. "It's better to go out and do something than to stay at home and plan something"

This 100% sums up my procrastination. I sit at home and plan plan plan.
*one day I'm gonna learn these tricks.. Just gotta think of a way..
*one day I'm gonna get that boat and sail away. Just gotta think of a way..
*one day I'm gonna quit my dead end job. Just gotta think of a way..
*one day I'm gonna get the guts to get that girl. Just gotta think of a way..

Now I'm going to start doing.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Do it. Just go out and do it. Don't think, "I'll go out and do it when my double lift is better", just go out and do it. Each day that passes is a chunk gone from your life that you can't get back - it is gone, forever gone. Go out now, just for fun, and show people 1 trick. Have fun. Let them have fun. No pressure. Break the ice. Then go out and do a show. You will suck. I know I did, and still do at times. But you will learn what works and what doesn't work FOR YOU. You will never find out though if you sit at home. Go do it.
Bluebird
View Profile
New user
Poland
16 Posts

Profile of Bluebird
Hi NeutronBomb,

I took interest in magic approx. 6 months ago. 3 months ago I decided I would try busking in the summer, so I started learning tricks for my show. Well... now I'm learning how to busk with them. It's been only few days so far, but I've learned a LOT and became really confident with the little bit of magic I know. Just go to the street and try it. You will be very happy you did. I am, even though I suck (But hey, some people really enjoy my show a lot; sometimes I get a nice tip and the person giving it says 'Sorry, I don't have any more cash on me but you were great').

I've described my first day on the pitch in the other thread.
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
185 Posts

Profile of Endless West
LeoH, thanks for the advice!

Bluebird, thanks for your advice as well. I have actually been keeping up with this section of the forum for a few months now and saw your post pop up last week about your first time out. Reading it is a definite influence on me as well as gr8gorilla's posts and of course the seasoned professionals'. I won't lie, I am definitely fearful to go out and set up on the street and perform. I always feel like I should practice more and more. I'll bite the bullet and get out there, though! What better practice is there then being out there and doing it, right?

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day NB

How are you going reading Jimmy's book - that was one of the many positive inspirations I have been directed to by people from this place in cyberspace.

Have you read through the long post started by Jimmy titled "If You wanna learn to street perform" (it is on page 4 at the moment).

Enjoy the journey.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I know some guys that keep a copy of Jimmy's book in their street case. I think it's because the nature of street performing, you never know when you are going to just go, and it's better to have you important things all together!
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
The fear that flows
fills everyman´s soul,
`till you stand up and call it quit.
Then you think to yourself,
wonder what `cha done,
....your knees start shakin´ it bit.

Well,
you can sit back down,
and take what `cha get,
..or step out and stand alone.
Struggle and fall,
...or fly from it all,
but call your life your own.

gallagher

p.s. I think Jimmy´s a good partner on the journey,
but remember,
...it´s your story,
...your responsiblity,
...your `Spectacle´.
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
185 Posts

Profile of Endless West
Wish I could "like" comments on here like fb.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » To lure with spectacle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL