The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Six Card Trick (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
Love it Pop!
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On 2013-07-11 00:14, Pop Haydn wrote:
What is it you don't like about Six Card Repeat?
I would be interested to know what you thought were its drawbacks.

Whit. I can't put my finger on it - I just have never been a fan of the trick even though I am a fan of yours and was also a big fan of the Senators years ago. I think you made it as good as it can get.

If pressed my complaint is that the cards are to far away to see clearly so it doesn't seem so magical that cards are being hidden/miscounted...
Lakewood, Ohio
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3601 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I think the count looks pretty fair, even on the video.

I think this played well for over a 100 people in the Palace--it was one of the audience favorites. I am sure that the mystery is a minor one, but it is a very entertaining and puzzling routine.

It is an awfully good opening piece, sets my character, and would make a great emcee bit.

I think it is a very solid and useful routine. I don't know what stage card routines you prefer to this, but your standards most be very high... Smile
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
They are. That's why you are one of my favorite performers.
Lakewood, Ohio
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3601 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Smile
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I loved it.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Since Senator Crandall, no one could really pull this trick as well as you just did.
It's perfect! It doesn't look like magical jugglery
Usually the trick had no satisfying ending: you solved that problem very elegantly.

Loved every second of it, and you know me, when I don't like the showmanship on an effect I just say nothing
Keep on making me comment on your work, it means that I'm learning...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Quote:
On 2013-07-11 17:32, Pop Haydn wrote:

It is an awfully good opening piece, sets my character, and would make a great emcee bit.

I use a variant of this effect as a closer for a parlor routine, because I card-spring a big wad of cards into the air at the end. It's more startling/dramatic than the cards disappearing one-by-one at the finale.
Just a thought.

Spike
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3601 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I'm not sure I understand the point of springing the cards...

Doesn't that suggest that you had a handful of cards the whole time?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
My thoughts exactly.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
679 Posts

Profile of smullins
One of the greats of today. I always learn something new from watching you perform.

I like the fumbling with the cards. It subtly suggests you haven't done it a thousand times and you aren't able to do "crazy sleight of hand." So there must be something else... which distracts the mind.

Great performance Pop.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3601 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I structured the routine to end on the first successful (from magician's point of view) completion of the proposed effect. I think this is important to satisfy the need for completion and for the magician to actually triumph over the complications.

The minor miracle proposed is actually VERY minor. It is only the inexplicably increasing and decreasing number of cards and the inability of the magician to get the cards to behave in order to accomplish this otherwise unremarkable feat that makes it interesting at all.

The magician tells the audience he is going to do a classic trick in which he has six cards, throws away one, and still has six cards. Not a real attention grabbing proposal...but if it is REAL magic, and not a sleight of hand trick, then all sorts of unexpected complexities might arise--things that bother and perplex the performer even more than the audience.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I loved it. As far as 'fumbling', isn't that part of the act? Don't know why, but it reminded me of Snuffy Smith with an ace in his hatband and another on the barroom floor. Great magic,thanx Pop. Lynn
Dhenry59
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Dhenry59
Pop -
Thanks for sharing this routine. I have been a fan for quite some time. Beyond the cleverness and humor, I enjoy the character you have created. I have seen so many magicians who have developed excellent technique and flawless execution, but are uninteresting in their delivery -magic is a theatrical art, showmanship is important. I don't want to see a series of tricks, I want to enjoy a total entertainment package. Thanks again,
DHenry
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I have the videotapes of Don Alan's Magic Ranch. On one of these Clarke "The Senator" Crandall performs his version of this effect using the paper plate. Too bad I have no equipment to watch it on any more, because I loved it--and I loved him. When I came to the Magic Castle in 1970 or so he kind of took me under his wing. I was a budding young hippy magician from Ann Arbor Michigan. Some of the magicians looked at me askance...I didn't have the right clothes and I sure needed a haircut SmileBut The Senator introduced me around to some top magicians and I was allowed to hang out as long as I wanted. So much as I enjoy your version of this effect, Whit, and as well as you do it and put in your own touches so artfully, I'm afraid I will always prefer the low key and deadpan performance of the Senator. When he drops cards he really looks oblivious. He just kills me. We could deconstruct why yours is better (does it work better that you become aware that you "may" have dropped some cards and you ask the audience?) You have that innocent flim flam man persona and it works well..I don't know...it's more a heart than a head thing for me. An old man showed some kindness to a young one, many years ago, and he never forgot it.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Pop, I'm a fan of the trick, and I've seen a lot of them, and this is now my favorite. There is one simple reason why. Most of the time I see magicians do this as if the audience isn't there. Sure, they talk to the audience, but it feels like that "wall" is still up, as if the magician is doing this unaware of the audience. You're style feels more like you're directly interacting with the audience, including them in the counting, and especially the dropping cards, which is funny, but I feel like it pulls us in more, and makes us feel included. Well done!
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Quote:
On 2013-07-12 11:32, Pop Haydn wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the point of springing the cards...

Doesn't that suggest that you had a handful of cards the whole time?

I actually cop more than half the deck just before the grand finale, which takes it out of the realm of a "handful". The idea was inspired by David Williamson's "3 Card Trick", which he ends by pouring a mass of cards onto the floor. I found that a card spring was more dramatic. Don't get me wrong, Whit. I love your effect. I just concocted a variant that works well for me. Your trick is quite inspiring in fact, especially the way you use the audience.
Spike
portpopo
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of portpopo
I really enjoyed your routine Pop. I liked your use of the bowl and everything looked fair. Thanks for sharing.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Wonderful!

I like this better than any other version of the routine I have seen. I have seen videos of other versions that I liked. One was by Tim Ellis, and another by Fred Kaps. Both of those were great too.

On 2013-07-11 01:51, Ado wrote:
Quote:
I didn't like your recipient though, you seemed to struggle to get the cards out of it. hopefully you'll find a better one that lets you pick the cards smoothly.

The movement of the cards in the receptacle seems to demonstrate the singularity of the cards. Furthermore, someone who fumbles with cards has to rely on magic, not smooth sleight of hand!

I assume that Whit Haydn was fumbling on purpose. I think he should leave that in. It adds to his character and the routine.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3601 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, Bill. I wasn't fumbling on purpose, but I didn't feel that the fumbling was wasted time.

It never seemed to bother me watching the video because the time was filled with the character's reactions. I did fumble a couple of times with the counts, especially the one handed count, but it seemed natural enough. I lot of that will improve by itself as I get more experience with the routine.

I can see where the fumbling with the cards in the bowl could be distracting, and I think that Pop's mannerisms are pretty fumbly and eccentric enough already, and I don't need to exaggerate the counts and pick ups.

The dish (bowl) has slightly square sides, and this helps to keep the cards somewhat together, and the curved surfaces make it difficult to actually see what is inside the dish. The dish is clear, and that helps to relax people--they don't think I am getting any "extra" cards from it. The sides help cover the action of squaring fourteen Bicycles as if they were six, and actually aid in squaring them.

The glass and bowl are plastic and unbreakable. They came with Brother Paul's "Silly Bean Trick." The bottom of the bowl is flat, and sits perfectly on the foot of the glass. It was really getting the bean trick with this outfit that pushed me to finish the routine.

I love Crandall, and loved the way he could do the routine with just "a warm plate" he carried in his back belt under his coat. The routine is perfect for emcee work. I didn't think the one-handed count was quite as fair looking as the two-handed count, but I like the way it looked natural for the magician if he were counting the cards for himself. So I decided to open with the two-handed count so that people can be convinced that I only have six cards, and then resort to the one-handed count when I am counting for myself as if to "figure this out."

The downside is that I have to have a table on stage instead of coming on like Senator Crandall to a bare stage.

I think the crystal bowl has an advantage as it is obviously not hiding any other cards, and the sides keep the cards from sailing off, so they can be tossed pretty carelessly into the bowl.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Six Card Trick (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL