The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Six Card Trick (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3606 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
This is my new original routine, "The Six Card Trick," in the Palace of Mystery at the Magic Castle, July 7th:

http://youtu.be/K2LiuCx0aek
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
813 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Great stuff, very enjoyable!

Thanks for that!

Robert
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Love it!

You have a PM.
JonBarr
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
73 Posts

Profile of JonBarr
Wonderful, thank you!
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
I loved every minute of that routine. Pure Haydn style magic.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Wit that is IMO one of your best effects ever
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Love Whit. Not a big fan of the Six Card Repeat though.
Lakewood, Ohio
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3606 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
What is it you don't like about Six Card Repeat?

I have worked hard in this routine to eliminate some of the problems I found in this trick, but it seems to me to be pretty solid. The repetition and other weaknesses I didn't like, I tried to fix.

It is an excellent platform trick, in my opinion, and has been very successful for Roy Benson, Senator Crandall, Michael Finney and many others.

I would be interested to know what you thought were its drawbacks.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I find it different from the common (original?) version. Not better, not worse, just different, just like two tricks that are a forced card revealed may be different. I liked it.

I didn't like your recipient though, you seemed to struggle to get the cards out of it. hopefully you'll find a better one that lets you pick the cards smoothly.

P!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3606 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks for your input. I am not sure what you mean by recipient. Get the cards out of what? It is just fourteen loose playing cards. It is pure sleight of hand.

Do you mean the bowl? It is actually quite helpful, as the cards can land upside down and to the side, and so on. The bowl looks innocent enough, and yet the spectators can't really see the number of cards, and the sides give me some cover when straightening them for the count as I pick them up.

The handling is still a little rough, I know--it is the first week I have done it in performance.

It is based on the Roy Benson and the Senator Crandall routines. It is sort of a mix of the two methods and presentations.

I mainly was concerned about avoiding repetition, and getting the most convincing possible count at the beginning. The crystal glass and bowl separate the cards from the table, and eliminate the possibility of obtaining cards from there.

I think that in the future I will roll up my sleeves in the beginning to further isolate the hands.

I found that it is important to work with the cards before each show, as you are throwing cards away, and you have fourteen new ones each show. They are not broken in really, and can behave weirdly in the count, so I try to really break them in now.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1176 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-07-11 01:51, Ado wrote:
I find it different from the common (original?) version. Not better, not worse, just different, just like two tricks that are a forced card revealed may be different. I liked it.

I didn't like your recipient though, you seemed to struggle to get the cards out of it. hopefully you'll find a better one that lets you pick the cards smoothly.

P!

Pop,

this was my thought too. You seem to fumble a bit when picking them out of the bowl. But, I also think that the transparent container with the long stem is a great idea. Makes everything much "cleaner" from the audience point of view.

A few times you seemed in difficulty during the counting, but you are aware of it and therefore you'll certainly find a way to solve that. As you say, maybe using new cards everytime, can be a little problematic cos they're too slippery (?).

And maybe rolling sleeves up may cancel the possibility that you add cards from there. One of the first solutions laymen think about. What about rolling after the first time you count six cards again? Audience thinks that extra card came from sleeve. You roll sleeve up saying "In case you think I pulled it out from here" or something like that.

Anyway, I liked it very much. Very different from what is the best version I've seen, which is Wayne Dobson's, but definately a very good and enjoyable version. But I could say the same for all the routines I've seen from you (personal favourite is Linking Rings from your Teaching Act. Hilarious!)

Thanks a lot

Mark
chappy
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of chappy
What a great routine and wonderful performance.

Regarding the receptacle, it might make for an easier pick-up each time if you used a glass bowl with a round bottom(i.e. not a flat base), which could rest in the mouth end of the martini glass(placed mouth upwards).
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
I don't understand why some don't care for this routine. But then everybody has different tastes in magic.

The original 6 Card Trick was long and painful no doubt. It even created the joke about the two prisoners to be executed by a firing squad. The prison chief asked the first man what would be his last request before being shot and the guy said he was a semi-professional magician and would like to perform his favorite trick the Six Card Trick. The prison chief said that would be fine and told a guard to get a deck of cards.

The prison chief goes to the next man and asks him what his last request will be and the guy says," Shoot me first".

But nonetheless, I found Whit's routine just fantastic. Loved the dropping of the cards as opposed to counting and continual throwing out of cards.

But different strokes for different folks I suppose.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not a fan of Six Card Repeat, generally, I find it boring. I thought Pop's routine, however, was very entertaining, enjoyable, and well thought out. Thanks.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1676 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I enjoyed it, I like the magician unaware of the cards falling from the hands, very funny moment for the spectator and good surprise.
Whit, you mentioned that your routine is full sleight of hand?

pablo
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Very entertaining. The effect works well for Whit's personality and character.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
Very nice Pop. I've never seen The Six Card trick done better.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3606 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2013-07-11 10:30, pabloinus wrote:
I enjoyed it, I like the magician unaware of the cards falling from the hands, very funny moment for the spectator and good surprise.
Whit, you mentioned that your routine is full sleight of hand?

pablo

Yes. There are no gimmicks, just fourteen playing cards--as in most such routines.
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Very enjoyable and entertaining, Whit. Did you get any inspiration for this effect from Bill Malone's Incredible Six Card Trick?

Spike
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3606 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I haven't seen that. This is based mostly on Crandall and Roy Benson, with some ideas from Bill Spooner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Six Card Trick (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL