The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Sigh... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
http://www.christianpost.com/news/the-il......s-99458/

Some people are to stupid to represent their religion.
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
WOW. Just......WOW.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
The author of that article needs to read my book!
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
The author is obviousy misinformed. I would say he is ignorant to the facts about magic tricks, but I wouldn't go so far as to be judgmental by saying he's "too" stupid to represent their religion based only on his personal opinions on magic.

Have you tried to reach out to him with some facts to hopefully educate him better about the difference between the art of magic, and witchcraft?
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Actually, guys...there ARE Churches out there who truly believe AND teach that what we do is evil...so on THAT count, he actually DOES represent his religion well.

On the other hand, he is wrong. It is obvious by what he wrote that he is SERIOUSLY misinformed as to what magic IS. I mean...c'mon...Dynamo accomplished his levitation with the help of SUPERNATURAL forces? REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

But I agree...stupid might be a bit strong. Ignorant fits better, as it doesn't question his intelligence...only his information.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I hope some of you took the time to read the comments.

Many of our brothers and sisters in Christ that are magician's shared their thoughts.

Perhaps this stems from the time "a magician" tried to buy the gifts of the Apostles.

If it doesn't apply, let it fly. or as someone else wrote...wipe the dust off your computer keys....or was that feet and move on.

with his tongue near his cheek...

Harris aka Dr. Laugh
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
I think that web site is bewitched! My computer would only lock up while there.

Michael
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Precisely the reason I sometimes am ashamed to call myself Christian. It happened to me. West Peru (Maine) Baptist Church BANNED me from ever coming there again...why? The Zombie Ball.

Ignorance is alive and well...

Doug
MSaber
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MSaber
To be fair, there are people who are into demonic magic. Dynamo's not a good example, but think of Simon the Magician from the book of Acts. He truly worked wonders. But those miracles weren't from God. They were from the demons, who would do these supernatural things for him.

Another example I can think of off the top of my head is that slave girl in Acts who was possessed by a demon. And she would prophesy about the future. And when the demon got cast out, her masters were furious that their source of making money lost this "gift". But of course this was all a deception of the demons.

It's true that most magicians are just doing illusions. But there are people out there who, whether they know it or not, have demons helping them do things.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On May 17, 2018, MSaber wrote:
To be fair, there are people who are into demonic magic. Dynamo's not a good example, but think of Simon the Magician from the book of Acts. He truly worked wonders. But those miracles weren't from God. They were from the demons, who would do these supernatural things for him.

Another example I can think of off the top of my head is that slave girl in Acts who was possessed by a demon. And she would prophesy about the future. And when the demon got cast out, her masters were furious that their source of making money lost this "gift". But of course this was all a deception of the demons.

It's true that most magicians are just doing illusions. But there are people out there who, whether they know it or not, have demons helping them do things.

I recommend that you read my book co-authored with Christian illusionist Andre' Kole for a different perspective. Yes...a shameless plug!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
But there are people out there who, whether they know it or not, have demons helping them do things.

And how many of those are performing magicians, illusionists, and mentalists?
And how many of ~those~ are associating themselves with Christianity?
Can you name me at least three "demon-helped" "magicians" performing Gospel magic?
(We can name you many, many churches, pastors, deacons, elders, etc who wouldn't dare even read "Magic for Dummies", much less Terry's book!)

Ed
George S Whale
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of George S Whale
Glad he didn't watch the Thames water walk!
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
I heard a message by a well-known preacher here in Dallas (you may have seen him on FoxNews), and he told a story along these lines. He was somewhere with a brother in Christ and they ran out of a place because they were doing demonic levitations. And he made a point of saying that he knew it was a true levitation, not an illusion.

That magician must have been extremely convincing.
Philip Thomas
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Philip Thomas
I couldn't even finish reading the entire article because my eyes were rolling so fast I couldn't make out the words. Wow. Some people are just so misinformed and delusional it's ridiculous. I've been a christian all of my life and have also performed magic as a hobby for my friends for as far back as I can remember...even for my church friends and pastor. You know what never happened? Not once had I ever been accused of using demonic powers. The responses I got were "Wow, that was cool!" to "Awesome TRICK" and "How did you do that? That's good sleight of hand." It's sad that people are that closed minded to even think that we use the powers of Satan or demons to accomplish these tricks whether they be close up miracles or even grand stage illusions. If the author of that article really knew how that stuff was actually accomplished, he'd feel like a complete !@#$%^& for sure.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2013, Lord of Illusion wrote:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/the-il......s-99458/

Some people are to stupid to represent their religion.

I was going to comment, but no one else has condemned (or supported) this guy's idiocy. Why should I be first?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2019, Philip Thomas wrote:
I couldn't even finish reading the entire article because my eyes were rolling so fast I couldn't make out the words. Wow. Some people are just so misinformed and delusional it's ridiculous. I've been a christian all of my life and have also performed magic as a hobby for my friends for as far back as I can remember...even for my church friends and pastor. You know what never happened? Not once had I ever been accused of using demonic powers. The responses I got were "Wow, that was cool!" to "Awesome TRICK" and "How did you do that? That's good sleight of hand." It's sad that people are that closed minded to even think that we use the powers of Satan or demons to accomplish these tricks whether they be close up miracles or even grand stage illusions. If the author of that article really knew how that stuff was actually accomplished, he'd feel like a complete !@#$%^& for sure.

I have. Twice. Once, on a bus, I did an Invisible Deck and someone asked where I'd learned it, I mentioned (not by name) that there was a place in NYC where you could learn these things. This woman, who'd been sitting off to one side, spoke up; "You mean there's a place in New York where you can sell your soul?" (Well, probably several. But I don't think any of them deal in card tricks.) Another time, I was acting in a dinner theater. After the show (and the cabaret) we were sitting around the bar when I did a card trick. (I don't even remember which trick now) One of the other cast members looked at my wife and said, in all seriousness; "What's it like, being married to a minion of Satan?" I don't remember him dealing with me for the rest of the run.!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
WOW! a 9 year discussion- just say--Matt. 4;10 - Blessed?? I've never had a problem with my (the LORDS) Gospel Program -even used playing cards in a
"Being Judgmental " effect -refer the 'Deck of Cards' country song - where a Soldier was arrested for using a deck of cards in CHURCH - A REAL Christian Magician is also like a Sunday School Teacher using Puppets! Flannel Board! to illustrate the Gospel - Tell the others, Matt. 4:10.. Keep up the LORDS WORK - Blessing to ALL --Ralph (russo) Rousseau
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
I have a ‘brother in Christ” friend who, although never really came out and said, ‘that is wrong”, he never really applauded whatever ‘trick’ I performed. But he often asked how that was done. I thought perhaps it was because he was ‘amazed’, but it could also have been to make sure there was nothing “EVIL” amiss.
When he was about to go overseas on a Mission trip, he admitted to me that the “stuff” I do does actually have a message, and wondered if I could show him a ‘Gospel Trick’ or two, that he could show the children where he was going,
I suggested, perhaps, a "Change Bag" might be the easiest equipment that doesn't require heaps of practice, so I bought him one to get used to.

The point I am trying to make here is, the message has to come through the magic. If the message doesn’t come through, then all the audience sees is a ‘Magic Trick’ (Probably one that YOU wanted to do to “prove” yourself?)
I think it was Duane Laflin said, one shouldn’t force a ‘message’ into a magic trick, but have a trick to compliment or illustrate the message.

At times I will see an effect performed and think to myself, wow that would illustrate such and such miracle or parable, or Bible story. (Rather than, Wow, that’s a neat trick, how can I put that in my performance?)
Dynamike.
Eventucator.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Sigh... (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL