The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » No magic performed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2013-07-14 11:30, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Discussing Eugenics always gets the ball rolling.

A discussion which advocates practices to improve the genetic composition of magicians by pairing up master magicians with the goal of improving magic for future generations

SAM or IBM can be the governing authority that mandates and oversee the proposed eugenics program

Now that would be an interesting conversation for a wedding; find a brides maid and start the conversation
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Quote:
On 2013-07-15 11:37, Howie Diddot wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-14 11:30, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Discussing Eugenics always gets the ball rolling.

A discussion which advocates practices to improve the genetic composition of magicians by pairing up master magicians with the goal of improving magic for future generations

SAM or IBM can be the governing authority that mandates and oversee the proposed eugenics program

Now that would be an interesting conversation for a wedding; find a brides maid and start the conversation

Breeding mediocrity out of magic mmm....
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Alright... for the skeptics.

Conversation #1.
Me- "Hello. I'm Jay. I'm a friend of the father of the bride, And how are you today?
Her - We'll I'm waiting for my husband to get my pills from the car. You see I have this condition where I get hot flashes. it's not really hot flashes exactly but it's like them. You probably wouldn't know anything about them. The doctor gave me some kind of new pill, It's smaller then the one I was taking but I don't see any dIfference. Although I think it's a different color but I have to make another appointment
Me- So. it must have been a lot of work getting here today. (I'm still hanging in there)
Her - Yes, I wouldn't have missed it for the world but we had to take a different airline then we usually take because this is in a city that we don't usually come to and we had to park in a parking lot at a different terminal so I'm not sure how much that will cost. And the food service on the plane. have you ever flown on a plane?
Me- I think I see your husband coming. Let me get you some water and I'll be right back

Conversation #2
Me - Hello, I'm with the brides side of the family. Can you tell me where the gift table is.
Him - The gift table. Let me see... It's been so long since I've been to a wedding.
Me - Oh, have you been to a wedding at this location before?
Him - No, not really.
Me - So how would you know where the gift table would be?
Him - Well, the gift table is usually the one with all the packages on it.
Me - Y e s, but I was asking what room it might be in because I don't see the table.
Him - What, The gift table? ... I should think it's somewhere around here.
Me - I see. So did you mail them your gift?
Him - No I never have anything to do with them. My wife handles everything.
Me- Oh I think the table is this way, nice talking with you

So for the skeptics out there.
The IS a point where you disconnect from drab conversations. Isn't there? Do you listen to every word a telephone solicitor says? Do you ever go home for the day or do you think the world will come to an end if you don't personally conduct business 24 hours a day? Do you ever go to sleep at night or do you constantly call friends in foreign countries to talk at 4 am, 5 am or don't you sleep?

There is a time and place to keep talking and a time and place to cut it off
I've had enough.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
ROFL Jay, I'm right with you. It bugs me when people only want to talk about the standard, cookie cutter patterns. I don't want to know about their corned feet, and yes, the bride is lovely blah blah blah. What's worse is a lot of them will shy away if you try to have a conversation about something that's not small talk. Drives me nuts. Don't get me wrong, there are some you can have good conversations with, but most of them want to talk about random obvious things. ugh.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
As you stated, "Magic for me is a business"...., and I suspect it's supported by the same people that you find boring and the ones you do your best to avoid unless they are paying you.

Now that YOU brought the subject up, I do believe my toenails are getting yellow. I am now concerned about my kidneys. What do you recommend?

By the way, I have a deed to a deserted island that I can sell you!
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I hear ya! Most small talk makes my brain hurt, and I want no part of it. If people are being interesting, that's great, but when they're boring, I usually take it as an opportunity to talk about the things I'm interested in. I'll steer a conversation around and talk about science or art or something interesting I read in the news. If I can get people going, I can usually force an interesting conversation out of almost anyone. If nothing else, I can at the very least say something controversial and get a half-hearted debate out of someone.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
I don´t see the connection between boring conversations/people and table hopping magic
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
[quote]On 2013-07-15 20:18, slowkneenuh wrote:
As you stated, "Magic for me is a business"...., and I suspect it's supported by the same people that you find boring and the ones you do your best to avoid unless they are paying you
[quote]
Let me put it this way. I don't know of any entertainers that hire accountants to breath live, into their events.

On the other hand. I once sat in an optomistrists chair and he asked what I did for a living. When I told him I was was an entertainer he said ( in a patronizing tone) Yes, you seem the type (very judgmental). So no one is perfect.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Jay I feel your pain....

Just came off a 3 week trip with the family. Trying to subdue my performing instincts.

standard conversations: Sports (Boring), Complaining, Food (how much can you eat??)

Regularly when I perform I throw the limelight on others. "Where you from?" What do you do for fun and profit?"

About 2% of the time is there someone I find interesting.

Sorry 98% of the public are boring sheep going through the motions of life and living.....
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
I have more interest that just magic. I enjoy cooking, music, history and literature. This way I have something to talk about than talking shop. One thing I will not talk about in Texas is college football since I went to The Ohio State University. Not a wise choice. Anyways...

I rarely perform outside of gigs. I like to keep my magic magical and special by choosing when where and for whom I perform for those around me. There are times when I will perform for just one person at a social setting, it makes what happened a very special thing. Something that happened for just them. A memory that is just theirs. I have found over the years it make it an event when I do a couple of things for a group. It never turns into "Oh well sure fine if you have to show us something."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1194 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 10:57, Bad to the Balloon wrote:

Sorry 98% of the public are boring sheep going through the motions of life and living.....

What a incredibly crappy attitude. Just because somebody doesn't entertain you, or share your interest, or doesn't meet your expectation of lively conversation, they are "boring sheep going through the motions of life..."? Not sure to feel outraged or sorry for you and your pathetic attitude.

I'd say 2% of folks will be banal and talk to you about their husband getting pills, or be clueless about where the gift table is at a wedding. But 98% of people have stories, experiences, beliefs, thoughts and insight that are fascinating. It sometimes takes work to get them out, and they may not have the polish of a practiced patter, or be as exciting as conversations with others from a performing family, but don't denigrate them into boring sheep.

I work a corporate job, deal with a lot of engineers and statisticians. Most likely the type you find boring. In an ironic twist, when I talk to them, and subject turns to magic and performing, they wonder why the heck anyone would want to do something like that full time. Why don't they do something meaningful with their lives? Opinions go downhill from there regarding balloon twisters...though one engineer got off on a tangent on the tensile strength of balloons when twisting them...was actually quite funny the stuff he was coming up with. I'd tell you more...but you'd probably find it boring...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 13:30, imgic wrote:

I'd say 2% of folks will be banal and talk to you about their husband getting pills, or be clueless about where the gift table is at a wedding. But 98% of people have stories, experiences, beliefs, thoughts and insight that are fascinating.

Wanted to quote this part. I hang out with musicians and song writers, people who write fiction and hustlers. Most magicians are not part of my circle of influence. One thing I learned from these people is to listen. I keep a note book on me to take notes of interesting happenings and things the spark my creativity. By listening to those around you, you learn how non-magicians tick. How they think and the things that give them joy in life. It makes you a better magician. It gives you ideas to add to your patter. To make what you are doing more personal and magical. It s what elevates that MacDonald's Ace routine from just another card trick into a special experience they will talk about for years to come.
JonBarr
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
73 Posts

Profile of JonBarr
There is a reason why most wedding receptions include alcohol.
I would suggest that many of the people there felt tired, awkward, bored, too dressed up, unhappy with the food, unsure about their own relationships, wishing they were someplace more familiar.
If only someone had had the words and the desire to bridge that sense of isolation that they too felt so that a meaningful interaction could be shared.
That would be real magic, wouldn't it?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2013-07-15 19:05, jay leslie wrote:
Alright... for the skeptics.

Conversation #1.
Me- "Hello. I'm Jay. I'm a friend of the father of the bride, And how are you today?
Her - We'll I'm waiting for my husband to get my pills from the car. You see I have this condition where I get hot flashes. it's not really hot flashes exactly but it's like them. You probably wouldn't know anything about them. The doctor gave me some kind of new pill, It's smaller then the one I was taking but I don't see any dIfference. Although I think it's a different color but I have to make another appointment
Me- So. it must have been a lot of work getting here today. (I'm still hanging in there)
Her - Yes, I wouldn't have missed it for the world but we had to take a different airline then we usually take because this is in a city that we don't usually come to and we had to park in a parking lot at a different terminal so I'm not sure how much that will cost. And the food service on the plane. have you ever flown on a plane?
Me- I think I see your husband coming. Let me get you some water and I'll be right back

Conversation #2
Me - Hello, I'm with the brides side of the family. Can you tell me where the gift table is.
Him - The gift table. Let me see... It's been so long since I've been to a wedding.
Me - Oh, have you been to a wedding at this location before?
Him - No, not really.
Me - So how would you know where the gift table would be?
Him - Well, the gift table is usually the one with all the packages on it.
Me - Y e s, but I was asking what room it might be in because I don't see the table.
Him - What, The gift table? ... I should think it's somewhere around here.
Me - I see. So did you mail them your gift?
Him - No I never have anything to do with them. My wife handles everything.
Me- Oh I think the table is this way, nice talking with you

So for the skeptics out there.
The IS a point where you disconnect from drab conversations. Isn't there? Do you listen to every word a telephone solicitor says? Do you ever go home for the day or do you think the world will come to an end if you don't personally conduct business 24 hours a day? Do you ever go to sleep at night or do you constantly call friends in foreign countries to talk at 4 am, 5 am or don't you sleep?

There is a time and place to keep talking and a time and place to cut it off
I've had enough.

Jay, you missed the point, both women were hitting on you... the first woman sent her husband to the car so she could be alone with you and the second woman was offering herself to you as a gift and as soon as you said wife, she split.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
You should've done some Mentalism. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » No magic performed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL