The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Misers dream coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
I am interested in buying a large size coin for the misers dream - perhaps get the
neilsen coins, but I've heard that the necromancy coin is more visible - is this coin still
being sold or is there another coin that has a lot of sheen - currently, I use canadian
five dollar coins - they are pure silver and look great on stage - but they are about
fifteen dollars per coin.

thanks

martini
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
"I am interested in buying a large size coin perhaps get the Neilsen coins"
The Neilsen coins are the diameter of a US dollar coin, but half as thick. If you are just looking for size, you could use a US dollar coin. But, the Misers Dream is more about the audience hearing the coins as they fall in the bucket, so diameter is not as important as you might think.

The other thing to consider is, some part of the audience is going to get a good look at the coins. In this case it is better to use real coins than stage coins (aka fake coins).
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can buy replica U.S. Morgan dollars very cheap on the big auction site. They are amazing looking and sound is greaet, and will hold to a magnet.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Is that at magicauction.com or is there an auction here? and do the replica coins have a significant amount of sheen?

last of all, who sells the replica morgans as new coins?

thanks

martini
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Jeff Prace sells very nice replica Morgans. he is a member of the Café or you can find him on facebook.
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Thanks, I'll check those out.
john Graybeal
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of john Graybeal
Any links for the replicas?

John
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
John....see your post in NOTHING UP MY SLEEVE. I WROTE YOU A NOTE ABOUT THE MISERS DREAM...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Replicas can be purchased from the Big Auction website. For those that do not know much about the Internet, that is website is called "eBay". These replicas are made in China.

WARNING
Don't forget, if you accidently try to offer them for merchandise, that is considered trying to pass counterfeit currency and you will be arrested. This will make your life hell for the next 20 years or more.

Also, be sure you let your family members know you have counterfeit coins, as if they would try to pass them or sell them as collector coins, they will also have trouble with the legal system as well.

From the pictures on eBay, they look exactly like a silver dollar. Just thought you should all consider this when keeping things of this nature. I have to say, the authorities will not think your "prank" was funny at all. So that excuse will not hold up.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Bill!

Do you remember Karrell Fox's hilarious routine about his wife using the change (gaffed coins) on his dresser to pay the paper boy?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick, yes - and his story of the wife throwing out some silver rings because one was broken.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Actually, I think this is a great question, because, for the most part, for decades I've always used Abbott's Palming coins for my Abbott's Neil Foster/Chavez Coin Pail and my Abbott's Billy Powell Coin Ladder as both props use these sized coins in their workings.

And doing mostly platform shows, personally, I've found that half-dollar sized coins are fine.......for stage and large audiences I use a Bell Bucket and Ike Silver Dollars.....you need to go bigger for bigger audiences and half dollars are tough to see from the "cheap seats" but generally, dollar sized coins CAN be seen from stage. Also, for stage purposes, I don't think it matters what kind of silver dollars you use as long as they are "real ones"....the audience members who participate could care less, so why pay for "Replica" Silver Dollars when real ones do the job and are readily available.

Some of the traditional palming coins made over the years have become collector's items. Abbott's quit making their palming coins years ago since their die maker "lost the die" they couldn't get any more made...now...I've seen some go for up to $10 each on eBay....

When I bought my first Abbott's Coin Pail, Mike Miller advised me that I needed "a bunch" of palming coins to use with it, so he "threw in" a GROSS of them with the purchase of the coin pail.

I think I will hold onto them and use them, especially since I use a sleightly modified version of Michael Ammar's "Flame to Coin" bit as published in Encore 3 to produce my first coin in my Miser's Dream Routine, which is my opener.

I remember Gene DeVoe telling me about a famous magician and his wife who got into an argument one day when she told him that they needed to use their last 10 silver dollars to buy food. No, he said. Those are my Magic Props~!
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
I use half dollars that I got from the bank.
They work well
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Million Dollar Morgan Collection Eagle National Mint
You can see these on video with the link below…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7c_wE96LQ4

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/i......IF20001&

These are amazingly real in every way, and since the are “mint” condition they shine and sparkle under lights like crazy. You can get a dozen at a discount and free ship at the link above.

Magically, Walt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Misers dream coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL