The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Great coin productions? (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ljh21
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
112 Posts

Profile of ljh21
Just curious now that we have looked at why so many productions look so bad as per gr8gorilla's topic. Any opinions or favorites as to what is the best "most magical looking" production single or multple coins. For me the single coin production I think looks most magical is John Carney's the production he uses in Halves in the Mist.
For a multiple production Curtis Kams IIsa'a Appearence is magical.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5179 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Funny you bring it up, I just instant downloaded "Four Coins For Jimmy" by Nathen Kranzo off Penguin and I have had Splinter by Michael Eaton for some time, also an instant download from Penguin. I like them both for different reasons.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Carney's Production in Silver and Glass, Kurtz' production in Trio/Misty, R. Paul Wilson's in A New Wave.
I j
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Im a simple man. I enjoy Eric Jone's production of 3 coins from Mirage et Trois. Its what I use when I produce 3 coins...
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4081 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
There is a nice description of a four coin production by Mike Gallo reprinted from Magic magazine on our website. Go to http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net , find the Magic magazine article ( I'm not home but I think its in the current events section), and look in the back. There are several routines written up for you. Enjoy!
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
It's in there if you click NYCMS DVD

Say, are the Mike Gallo lecture notes still available?
I j
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I did this a while back now, but I like to do something that goes a little like this... Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahm5fUTv4kA

-Mb
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4081 Posts

Mike is a member, so you can pm him regarding his notes.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-07-15 13:34, Mb217 wrote:
I did this a while back now, but I like to do something that goes a little like this... Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahm5fUTv4kA

-Mb

I also like to do something like this before going into my Ike & Mike's Revenge, a two coin trick. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzvaKLGMQA
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
ljh21
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
112 Posts

Profile of ljh21
Poof Daddy I"m on my way to Penguin I haven't seen either of these. Carney and Kurtz are excellent coinworkers and masters of misdirection curiously enough. I have to think that the misdirection is a major part of what makes a great production or let's say more magical. I have seen Mike's production in Magic Magazine and that was a great article I enjoyed all of your interviews. MB looks good as always. Eric Jone's production looks good too. I have an old copy of the Close up Insider 1996 that is dedicated to Mike Gallo it has some great effects in it and well worth a read. I am always in search of as I assume many of you guys are to Thanks.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t see the article on the site anywhere. Anyone have a direct link?

Thanks!

Jim
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4081 Posts

Sorry, it was under the photo section. Here is a link to the article with the tricks:
http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net/M210_Coin_Seminar.pdf
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5179 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Another great production, although not easy at all - much practice required... Alex Geiser's The Prodigy http://thebluecrown.com/magic-tricks/the-prodigy.html
Eye candy for sure. I have a heck of a time with it and have had it for some time. ( although I don't practice as much as I should )
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ramin
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Ramin
Poof-Daddy I agree the Prodigy is very Magical.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
If any of you are thinking of getting the Prodigy, I would suggest you look at Wizard Product Review #85 first:

Link to show - Click Here! (this may not work) but just google for a Wizard Product review of the Prodigy. Frankly, my respect for Craig shot way up when he added how horribly angly this effect is, with the inventor suggesting that you do a display between your legs (how, pray tell, could you do that and look dignified?). Instead, he said, go out and buy Justin Miller's Silver Dream.

I agree--it looks magical on the video, but the left hand isn't turned over, come on! So in my opinion and that of Craig, this is a one-shot video wonder, without any use in a performing magician's repertoire. It is so angly it is useless. We can respectfully disagree with each other. But if we are to be magicians helping magicians, we also need to start calling these one-hit video miracles (which will be detected in real life) what they are: video deceptions. Instead, why don't we, like Craig Petty, suggest some useful effects, which are magical in the real world, and not just on a highly edited video deception.
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
134 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
I use a similar version of Reed McClintock 4 Co-Pro. It's angle proof and magical (with the first subtle move I fool magician)
The simplest, magical and best coin production I know is by J. Chanin.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks Dr. Mike!

Jim
Ramin
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Ramin
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 21:25, vampiro wrote:
... with the inventor suggesting that you do a display between your legs (how, pray tell, could you do that and look dignified?). ...

Actually that is a very good way to do it. Lets say your sitting at a table with someone sitting in the chair to your right. You could spin to the side (still seated and perform this) It would cover all the Bad angles and look quite natural (look at picture 9 on pg. 157 of The Stars Of Magic, It shows Dai Vernon in a similar position. Doing Malini's Favorite).

I realize this is probably a very hard routine, but that is part of the fun. I have routines that I've worked on for years, to get down, keeps me challenged.

I agree its not for a group of people, but I have routines I do just one on one and they have really gone over well. If I perform for a group I use other stuff.

Wow, I sound like I'm selling this, Ignore me, I just think it looks cool, I guess now I need to buy it : )
ljh21
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
112 Posts

Profile of ljh21
Being a Philadelphian I have done a little reading on Jack Chanin's coin work and magic and was one of the greats. Prodidgy is a very good routine I believe Alex calls the first production of 4 coins the broom production it is very good and achievable with some practice. I agree with vampiro if you can't preform it for poeple live what good is it.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Great coin productions? Gary Kurtz and Kainoa Harbottle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Great coin productions? (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL