The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I acquired a ww2 era deck of aviators! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
Saturday morning, my wife woke me early, as usual. We were off to go to the local flea markets and yard sales,but not in that order. I don't know about you, but me personally, I love going to dig through old junk to see what kinda of treasures I could find. For instance, I once found a whole box of old skeleton keys for a few bucks. A lot of keys ended up in the trash, but a few we're very well balanced and I use them for a haunted key routine now.

So, we're up and on our way, found a couple old trunks, nothing I bought because for some reason everyone now has a fascination with old trunks and think theirs are worth ridiculous amounts of money. However, we get to the flea market, my favorite of the three in town. Upon wandering around I come across a man in his, I'd say mid-thirties. He had a table full of old stuff. Knives, ww2 era rifle magazines, all sorts of good stuff. On the table in a case that seemed to be used to display jewelry in a past life. I noticed an old looking aviator card box, with a sticker marked "$10.00". I motioned to the man to get his attention as he was talking to someone, letting him know I'd like to talk to him when he was finished.

After a few minutes he walked over and said:
"What can I help you with?" I asked him if there was a story on the cards in the box and if I could hold them. Of course he obliged and unlocked the case and handed them to me. As I pulled them out of the pack, the first card I noticed said "save with war bonds!" I thought "neat-o!" He rambled on something about his grandpa getting those from a friend he served with in WW2. I countered his story about his grandpa's friend, I said "I bet he was a real swell guy, I'd venture to even say that he was a magician." (All the while never letting him in on the clue that I was a magician as well.) he asked how I knew and that's where the fun began!

I explained to him that I used to live next door to and elderly man who was a magician and he always told me "you always know if a deck of cards belonged to a magician in the past because, no matter what ever happend to the magician, once he lay a finger on that deck the magic would stay with them forever." All the while I was counting the cards 55 to be exact. 52 as we know them, two jokers and the war bonds card.

He just stared at me, dumbfounded.

"Mind if I show you what I mean?" I asked. He just kind of nodded, I spread the cards and gave him a fair choice out of the entire deck. I also explained that he could've chosen any card he would've liked to and he was content with the one he had chosen. He put it on top of the deck, I shuffled and controlled it to the bottom. At which point I explained "just to ensure you're ENTIRELY satisfied with your card, I'm going to let you pick another and If you like it better than the last, you may choose to keep it instead." Again he agreed. I peeked at his card (5 of clubs) as I began a Hindu shuffle. At which point I performed the Hindu force. He kind of chuckled. He said "I like this one better." (Also the 5 of clubs for those of you not keeping up) I shuffled a few more times and explained that after the shuffling I (nor he) had any idea where his card was. I laid the cards on the table and asked him what the chances he though him being able to cut right to his card would be. "Impossible!" He almost scoffed at me! I asked him to cut the cards and at which point completed the cut for him, forming a cross cut. He confirmed that he said it was impossible to cut to his own card. He picked up the top half of the deck...... Low and behold, it was the 5 of clubs. I asked if he could do any better than 10 dollars on them because "I like the way they feel in my hands." He said, "I can do a lot better, why don't you just take them with you?"

So they now have a nice place, fanned out in my little glass cabinet in my "magic room" at my house. They're very cool. I've never got a deck of cards just to display, but I must say. They sure do look nice in there!

I hope my story didn't kill you reading it. Perhaps I should major in literature instead of engineering. Haha, thanks for reading my story. I hope you had as much fun reading it as I had living it!

Magically Yours,
P.J
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Hah, very cool.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Pictures please! Smile

I'd like to see them; especially the war bonds card, but also to see the court card designs and backs and whatnot.

Great story too!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
I meant to take a picture to post with my story, but as I was finishing typing it was time to come to work. I'll be sure to post one tomorrow, when I get home from work.
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Nice story Mago! It's easy to forget that a few basic moves can create awesome magic at the right time and right place. Well played, sir. Well played indeed. Smile
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I loved the story and it was a win-win situation. I imagine this man telling his version of the story and that makes me smile just as much!

Thanks for sharing.

Vlad
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
580 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
You might want to check out what they are worth. You might have a jewel waiting for you to find.
Best to you.
Tom Wolf
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
Thank you for your kind words, Vlad and Lundonia! It was very fun. Mago, I'm not real sure what they might be worth. My boss collects pretty much everything from pennies to gas pumps. Last night at work, I shared this story with him and he offered me the ten bucks the man was asking. I really like them, they don't fan or flourish hardly at all as you could probably imagine, but they smell like an antique book. Unless I receive a ridiculous offer I will probably just hold onto them. Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy.

As I was writing the story, my memory failed me evidently. The card says "You always win with U.S. Savings Bonds". Also, I'm not sure why, but the queen of diamonds' eyes are bigger than the rest. I have a picture attached so you can see. There's another card that was in the box I just found that says "Win your point" it has information about ordering a 255 page "Official rules to card games- Hoyle up to date" "Send 15 cents and a copy will be sent to you post paid" Also pictured. I'm not sure if I can put all of them on one post. I'm going to try though.

Click here to view attached image.
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
It appears I can only post one picture per reply.... Weird.

Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
The Bonds card and the info on the card rules book.

Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
The Ace of spades along with the backs Smile Sorry I had to make 85496556 replies for you to see my 4 pictures.

Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Most enjoyable thing I've read all day mate.

Well done - at least they've gone to a good home. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
I'm glad I could brighten your day! Cheers!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Nice story, you have a fascinating way of story telling.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for sharing the pictures and again for the story. I agree with Vlad, the guy who gave you the cards also has a great story to tell now. What a fun moment!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Neat. Are those poker sized? They look small in the picture where you're holding them.
JonBarr
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
73 Posts

Profile of JonBarr
Great story and a great find!
Thank you for sharing.
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
Yes indeed! Poker sized cards! Maybe I just have ogre sized hands. Lol It sure has seemed to spark an interest with all the guys here at work. I'm constantly receiving offers for them. I think the latest was fifteen dollars and an old deck of bee cards. I just love them!
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
GREAT story. It is indeed refreshing when a new user joins the forum and immediately makes a positive impression. It is posts like these that makes me stay a member of the forum and not leave it because of a few bad apples.
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
I was a member a few years ago, when I decided to use my account again, I couldn't remember my pw, multiple messages to Steve on Facebook, got me nowhere so I had to break down and create a new account. I've been performing for about 12 years. I am glad to be a part of the wonderful group of people here on the Café!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I acquired a ww2 era deck of aviators! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL