The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » P.K Pencil by Mentalist Institution (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3025 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Geez I have not seen a pencil used in a long time unless your in school . I think A Pk pen would work be more effective for a mentalist just my opinion .
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Quote:
On May 24, 2015, tophatter wrote:
Geez I have not seen a pencil used in a long time unless your in school . I think A Pk pen would work be more effective for a mentalist just my opinion .

You can easily fit this up with something like Freedom Writer. IMO pencil still do the work. And seems more organic than a pk pen.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
G'day Keiran,

Totally usable mate... it's an actual Steadtler pencil.

Cheers mate! Smile
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Tophatter

You are absolutely right mate... depending on which part of the world you live in I guess. In Australia they are commonplace... as they seemed to be in the UK when I was there last year. Not to the point of pencils being everywhere... but certainly not out of circulation enough to raise eyebrows if one was being used.

Pencils seemed to be used less in the USA... and the ones most common were bright yellow. I'm not even sure that the brand of pencil I use is even available in the USA, which TBH may raise a little suspicion for American audiences.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On May 23, 2015, daniltan wrote:
Quote:
On May 24, 2015, tophatter wrote:

You can easily fit this up with something like Freedom Writer. IMO pencil still do the work. And seems more organic than a pk pen.

The beauty of a pencil is that they are known to be solid... and that any sort of gimmickry, should it even be thought of by a spectator, is generally quickly dismissed as... even if there was some kind of gimmick ... where would you hide it?

There is a really nice P.K pen on the market, released by Banachek. The range of motion is different, as is the method. Check that out if you get a chance.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1236 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Thanks for the answer paul, just one more question if you don't mind answering.... would I need a p* r**g to use this?

Kieran
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 24, 2015, Paul Shirley wrote:
Tophatter

You are absolutely right mate... depending on which part of the world you live in I guess. In Australia they are commonplace... as they seemed to be in the UK when I was there last year. Not to the point of pencils being everywhere... but certainly not out of circulation enough to raise eyebrows if one was being used.

Pencils seemed to be used less in the USA... and the ones most common were bright yellow. I'm not even sure that the brand of pencil I use is even available in the USA, which TBH may raise a little suspicion for American audiences.

its a very common brand over here, found in wh smiths, paperchase and rymans...so if you want matching pencils, fill yer boots...

@Kieran, you get everything that's needed to make the effect work...you won't need to buy a **-r**g...and the best thing is, is that once you're sorted, the items you get can be used for other effects too...
I've asked to be banned
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1236 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Perfect, cheers iain!

Kieran
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
779 Posts

Profile of roblane
Can't believe I hasn't seen this before. Looks excellent and I can see it being useful in many ways.
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Oh... and for those of you who already have this... or are thinking of buying one..

Brandon Queen alerted me to a fad that is taking over social media called the Charlie Charlie Challenge. A ouija board style thing that kids are doing (like the ice bucket challenge)
that uses 2 pencils! and if the pencil moves.... it is an sign of spirits being present. Sounds like a pretty good premise for an effect Smile

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi......nge.html

Cheers guys and gals

Paul
LarsA
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of LarsA
I think it is worth knowing that the instructions say "All performance rights are withheld."
Yes, "All performance rights are withheld."
I don't know the legality of such a statement.
But it is, ah, unfortunate that you are only told this after you've paid for it.
KenDoddsDeadDadsDog
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of KenDoddsDeadDadsDog
Gangstah video, Brah.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On May 28, 2015, LarsA wrote:
I think it is worth knowing that the instructions say "All performance rights are withheld."
Yes, "All performance rights are withheld."
I don't know the legality of such a statement.
But it is, ah, unfortunate that you are only told this after you've paid for it.

Hey LarsA,

All T.V and internet performance rights are withheld.... not ALL performance Smile

This is a pretty common thing, I think you will find.... and is only put in place to look after my customers, (hopefully) keeping the product from being used on any TV show that may either expose methods, or not paint the product or performer in a good light. It also helps prevent bad performance/exposure videos on the internet... which ruin the fun for everyone.

Having said this... 'withheld' does not mean 'Denied' ... And if you have a TV show you would like to use my product on, all you have to do is ask... I don't bite Smile

Cheers,

Paul
LarsA
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of LarsA
Paul;
If your aim is to look after your customers, don't you think you should tell them of performance restrictions BEFORE purchase?

Also, I quote from your instructions "All performance rights, including television and internet (youtube etc) are withheld."
If you don't mean 'all performance rights' why did you write 'all performance rights'?

By the way; you give some credits, but missed Osterlind's Psychic Control, which uses the same method. I guess you didn't know.

The pencil is very nicely made.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Charlie Charlie, is Paul a psychic?

The pencil moveS!!!!
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I suppose this

http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......ts_id=37

and what appeared on Mind Mysteries Volume 5

and what was published in my Perfected Center Tear Book 10 years ago in 2005 has no bearing on the discussion?
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Richard,

mentalists aren't that good with their minds Smile
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On May 29, 2015, LarsA wrote:
Paul;
If your aim is to look after your customers, don't you think you should tell them of performance restrictions BEFORE purchase?

Also, I quote from your instructions "All performance rights, including television and internet (youtube etc) are withheld."
If you don't mean 'all performance rights' why did you write 'all performance rights'?

By the way; you give some credits, but missed Osterlind's Psychic Control, which uses the same method. I guess you didn't know.

The pencil is very nicely made.

Hey mate,

Fair enough... I have obviously made a mistake... with regards to the "All" I will have it corrected when I get a moment.

And no. Withholding TV rights is commonplace.... and is a formality. If you want to use it on TV... just ask mate.

And... no. I hadn't heard of Richards product, until now.... which is surprising, given the amount of performers I have shared this with. In either case... I will certainly contact Richard privately with regards to this.

Cheers Smile

Paul
LarsA
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of LarsA
Paul; you're clearly trying to do the right thing, which is great.
Thank you.

I'd still quibble with you though.
a) Withholding TV rights is absolutely your choice, but it is not commonplace. I have literally hundreds of magic books and hundreds of magic tricks; performance rights are withheld in just a handful.
b) Either way, if you are withholding rights, buyers should be told before purchase. It is analogous to buying a car, then being told you can't drive it in Melbourne.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Crediting?

Am I missing something here?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » P.K Pencil by Mentalist Institution (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL