The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bob Kohler's version of Cylinder & Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Does anyone have any info on Bob Kohler's version of Cylinder & Coins? Is it in print or in some dvd? Thanks!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 06:12, shakuni wrote:
Does anyone have any info on Bob Kohler's version of Cylinder & Coins? Is it in print or in some dvd? Thanks!

Did you ask Bob Kohler?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 17:17, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 06:12, shakuni wrote:

Did you ask Bob Kohler?

Great answer. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea always A great thing to do! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Ramin
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Ramin
Actually, I believe, if I remember correctly that it is on a DVD. Not one he put out, but a British one possibly. definitely maybe
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 21:54, Ramin wrote:
Actually, I believe, if I remember correctly that it is on a DVD. Not one he put out, but a British one possibly. definitely maybe

Very helpful. . .Smile
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Ramin
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Ramin
Yeah, I thought I might be able to find it, but Google let me down. Now I'm beginning to think I was dreaming Smile
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
AFAIK Bob has never released his work on the C&C effect. There was a C&C routine by Dan Watkins on his DVD which was ut out by Bib Kohler but if I remember correctly it wasn't explained. I do seem to think I read somewhere rhough that Bob was working on putting his version out so maybe we'll see it sometime soon?
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Still looking...

Quote:
Did you ask Bob Kohler?

Thanks Sir, I will send him an email today.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I recommend learning what you can about the stack if pence, John Ramsay's personality and the magic club environment of his time, including the Bertram routine before mistreating the cylinder trick as a holy grail. If you like the coins to somewhere routine idea you might do well with Roth's planet routine and add your own one at a time vanish sequence that works best for you. Reading the literature will get you to some remarks about davenports selling the Ramsay book and red(!!) cardboard props for the trick that nobody has made work the way Ramsay did... Because that are not Ramsay, do not have his personality and audiences expect different cues for sleights/feints in the same way as fashions change over time.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Hi Sir, where can I find the Ross Bertram's cylinder and coins routine?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

IIRC it was Charles Bertram. Here's some of the trick to whet your appetite for serious reading of "The Modern Conjurer" by C. Lang Neil

Quote:
The Cap and Pence.
L. Graham Lewis’s Method.
A good little after-dinner trick. In the usual method a metal cap is used to cover the
pence. As there is always suspicion and a certain old-fashioned air attaching to all metal
covers, L. Graham Lewis’s plan of making a cap improvised from paper before the
audience is a decided improvement.
Time Occupied.-
About four minutes.
Effect.-
The performer borrows five pennies from amongst the spectators. He then
makes a little tube by rolling up a piece of note-paper, and blocks one end by squeezing
the paper together. Next a small die is placed upon the table, and over it the cap of paper.
The conjurer proceeds to pick up the pennies, and mysteriously passes each separately
through the paper cap, which is lifted up, showing the five pence beneath in place of the
die. The cap is replaced over the pence, and the conjurer with a sharp rap of his hand
below the table surface secures the five pence once more, and the paper cap upon being
lifted discloses the die in its original position.
Requisites and Preparation.-
A small piece of note paper, an elastic band, a die, and
five *** The centers of four of the pennies are *** the
eighth of an inch from their edges, so that the top penny is intact, and the outer edges of
those beneath are also intact. Thus when placed on the table they appear to be a heap of
five pennies.
If a “cap and pence” trick be ordered at a conjuring apparatus dealer’s, a prepared heap
of pennies is supplied, and a metal cap. The latter can be dispensed with, as only the
prepared coppers are required in Graham Lewis’s method here described, but it is
cheaper to buy the whole trick, than to have this set of five pennies specially made.
The piece of note-paper should be rolled previous to the performance round the five
prepared coppers, and a little mark made with pencil to show how far it must go in order
to make a tube which will just fit easily-neither too loosely nor too tightly over the coins.
The five fixed coins must be placed in any pocket convenient for the performer’s right
hand to secure them unseen when needed at the commencement of trick.
Presentation of Trick.-
The performer borrows five pennies from members of the
audience, and places them upon his table, and beside them sets the die. He next displays
the little piece of paper, and rolls it into a tube, placing the elastic band round it, taking
care to roll it exactly to the mark previously prepared, that it may just fit over the coins. He
then squeezes up the end of the paper tube, so as to close it at one end, and walking down
to the audience shows it to one or two, saying, “It is quite empty, and merely a little white
paper tube without guile of any sort.”

There you go. If you read that book it will help you get some clues about what Ramsay's audience was expecting and how they were deceived.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have "Whisper", which is Roger Klaus's Cap and Pence routine - with a gimmick made by Todd Lassen to boot. Besides the gimmick, Roger's booklet alone is worth the price of Whisper. Which by the way is very affordable. He seems to have considered every nuance of the routine and explains it all beautifully.

Thank you.

Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Whisper is pretty good for a variant of the Leipzig routine. I still feel there's more to explore. Part of that more is borrowed coins and that blemished dime - or penny in the Klause routine.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Sent message to Mr. Kohler using the contact form on his site but no response. I think the details are not available publicly?
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
There used to be a video of Kohler performance in Youtube from some japanese tv show. That was the not gaffed version and it was pretty much similar to most published versions. Rumor says though that his working version is gaffed to the hilt...

J-M
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Bob's C&C version is not published nor do I think he has plans to publish it.
Click to visit:
**Roper**
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
179 Posts

Profile of **Roper**
Did someone hack into Dan Watkins account and post?! Good to see you back, Dan!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
No hacking. Smile

Been too busy to read and post much. This thread caught my attention since it was about one of my favorite routines, and one of my magic buddies. Bob has one of the best C&C routines. I fist saw it back in 2000 and he fooled me. One of the reasons I learned the trick myself.

Wait for Tim Conover's book to come out. Tim's work on it is the real deal. Tim and Bob were friends and Bob originally learned the trick from Tim. Of course, we all evolve our own routines. Both Bob and Tim have had considerable influence on my thinking on the trick as well.
Click to visit:
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Tim Conover is certainly the modern master of Ramsay's Cylinder & Coin. Tim and I traded secrets in 1984 and he taught me two versions he was using during that era. Tim has a lot of work on the plot. All will eventually be revealed.

Personally I have 7 different versions that I use. I love each one for different reasons. I have performed 3 or 4 of these for magicians over the years. I will tell you that the actual routine I use professionally has never been shown to the magic community and it has never been filmed. Will I ever publish my routines? I have no idea. I can tell you that I would never publish any of them until well after the Tim Conover book is released.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bob Kohler's version of Cylinder & Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL