The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The coin trick you never do (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Tomsk192 suggested a idea in an other topic. So here it is. Let's talk about magic this time.

Which is the coin routine you never use and why?
May be it is too hard
Maybe you don't like it
Maybe you haven't find the right presentation for it
Maybe you have see an other magician do it but you have forgotten about the details
Etc

Can you name one and say why?
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Trio (Gary Kurtz). Probably because it's too long of a time to have an audience just sit and watch me. I need the right presentation to make it more interactive.

Okito Box routines: I know several but never perform them. Probably because I feel an audience simply wont care. This is not true as Luis Piedrahita proves.

Spellbound: Performed it a few times. Good audience reactions yet it continues to fall by the wayside. I don't know why.

Coins through table: Im never in a position to sit when I'm performing. I may need to learn how to move people up out of their seats so they can watch me perform it. I think they would enjoy the routine and not mind the inconvenience.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Another vote for Spellbound. It looks wonderful when some other people do it: but I haven't properly cracked it.

I don't tend to use CS gaffs either, due to a chronic case of magicians' guilt. It's ludicrous, as I will happily do CSB with no guilt at all.

Good topic, Jiceh! Smile
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
159 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
Until now I never performed a "Three Fly". I always do 4 coins across.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Three fly
1 - Because I think there is more mystery when you do a coin across whith closed fists than in a visual way
2 - In a lot of vaiation, the last phase is the less convincing one
3 - I don't like the fact that in some versions the 2nd coin go back to the RH (if you make coins from the LH to the RH)
4 - A lot of variation but whitout a lot of creativity (except the original creation and some others) ...
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I like the way a good 3 fly looks but I find a lot contain too many sleights in such a short period of time.

also I avoid matrix and cachink mainly because they require a table and they just don't look exciting to me.

also I stay away from gimmicks just because well they're really expensive and I just don't take good care of my stuff no matter how much I try.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Spellbound can be difficult to find an ending for, I think vanishing the coins would be a good way to go. Of course, you would only be vanishing one coin in the audiences eyes, since they are supposed to know of only one coin that keeps changing.

I've much cared for one coin flurries, not sure why. Probably because as of late I see a lot of magicians making it last forever to the point where it becomes obvious the coin is just being hidden. David Roth keeps it short and sweet.

I do like coin and silk routines. I like it because it can be really visual and lots of people can watch.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I used to perform Roths Flurry routine all the time. I got lazy sticking the ] onto my lapel after every dry cleaning so I gave it up

Sad cause it's a great routine.

Fonda57,
I end my triple change spellbound routine by making the chinese coin larger. Seems to be the perfect ending.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I like spell bound for ending a good copper silver routine but sometimes it can be a great opener to a 1 coin routine once you make your transformation ditch the other coin then go into a 1 coin routine.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Good ideas.
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
159 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
In CoinMagic by Kaufman is good ending for Spellbound. You double the coin.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not big on effects where you need a table or have to sit at a table. I like them but just too stationed for me.

Spellbound for me is somewhat monotonous and that's why I think I developed my ReVisiTed effect, to take advantage of the coin changing but in different ways and shorter from the more regular routine.

I also am not big on long storied effects, simply because that I think they tend to confuse (rather than amaze) people more so as you go on and on with the magic, like a lot of card magic, truth be told. Smile

As to a move, well I usually always think the use of a HPC looks pretty suspicious. I've seen top guys make it look pretty bad too. Smile It may fly by laymen, like a jump cut, but you feel something. Smile

With that, to each his own and what you like is what you will probably do best, so do YOU. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Should also mention I don't like any of the coins through a tube tricks they don't fool me so how can I be expected to fool a spectator with it.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yeah, I'm with you on that, Mr Vomit.
OliveroG
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of OliveroG
Hanging coins. Even tho the premise seems impossible enough (Although, very deep in my mind, I think is kind of silly), I've never been fan of the classic ending, and I haven't found a version with an end that satisfies me. The one that comes closest to something I like is the Garret Thomas' version. Also, it doesn't really fit my working conditions.
I hope you understand, my dear friend, that everything you are seeing is a lie, but everything you are feeling holds true.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
As far as Hanging Coins go, I like it up until they re-appear. My feeling is once they are gone they should stay gone, or come back as other coins, english pennies or whatever.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I'm hate lapping because you need a table
standing at at table is fine.
walk around is the best
I hate classic palming because most magicians look like they are queezing oranges in this position.

the only two magicians that I have ever seen do a beautiful classic palm was the late werner steitz.
the best today is Bertini
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
159 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 11:28, vinsmagic wrote:
I'm hate lapping because you need a table

Ha!
and sometimes a glas-topped table.

Or you carry a mini table with you like David Roth coins thru table.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Basically for me, it is the ones I have forgotten.

I love looking through old books, manuscripts and magazines to get reminders.
Of course hear at the coin section of TMC, I also get great reminders.

Harris, thinking...."now where did I put my car keys?"
"there in the freezer", answered Nigel the puppet that rocks and talks.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-07-18 11:21, OliveroG wrote:
Hanging coins. Even tho the premise seems impossible enough (Although, very deep in my mind, I think is kind of silly), I've never been fan of the classic ending, and I haven't found a version with an end that satisfies me. The one that comes closest to something I like is the Garret Thomas' version. Also, it doesn't really fit my working conditions.

Good one, OG...I'm not big on Hanging Coins either. It always appeared more to me that you were just cleverly hiding the coins the way you show your hands. But loads of people do it, I think more so as a matter of learning Roth's basic stuff from his DVDs. And the way the coins reappear always, someway stunted the trick IMHO. Probably have to argue with tons of folks on that but that's the way I see it. Smile

*Oh, and though I studied and played with Cylinder and Coins like a lot of folks here, I rarely have ever done it for anyone. Hard to find anyone that has that much time to stop and watch it. Smile It's more of a magical experience and or exercise as to routining/presentation than anything else, it seems.

And you're right Harris, my friend...Any trick that don't stick with me, I don't do either, and there are loads of them. Smile But there are tricks like "Pocket Passport," that I don't do an awful lot but absolutely love. Just a perfectly interactive little coin trick. Not hard to do and packs quite a wallop with specs. I really have to find time to do it more often. It's like a good ol' pocket knife. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The coin trick you never do (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL