The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ricky Jay - New Documentary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I searched but couldn't find a post on this new documentary on Ricky Jay... http://www.rickyjaymovie.com
My wife and I just saw it last night, and it was simply wonderful. It made me proud to have an interest and love of this art form. Even my wife who normally doesn't care for magic, enjoyed this film.

I won't go into describing the movie as the website I linked to does a far better job than I, suffice to say you will not regret seeing this film. It is truly a magical and moving experience...especially the ice block story. If you see it, you'll understand.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Same here Wizard, my wife and I saw it about a month ago and she enjoyed it very much.
She's not a magic hater by any means but I was worried she might get bored part way through.
But alas it was actually the opposite, she found it very interesting from beginning to end.
Even though this was intended to be viewed by the general public I had doubts that folks with no background in magic would enjoy it, but apparently the film-maker succeeded in drawing even non-magic fans in so I commend them for that.
Almost goes without saying that magicians would find it fascinating and educational.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Hey I gotta see this! Was it on the Learning Channel or do you guys know which network to look for it. Thanks.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm not sure what the other sources are, although the current theater run is on the website. I saw it at the Cleveland Museum of Art, about 10 minutes from my home. The site may have other sources as well.

Kosmo had it advertised on Reel Magic, so I'm assuming it can be found elsewhere. After the presentation I saw, the director was there and answered questions. She mentioned there would be a DVD set released in time for the holidays, with a lot of extra material, including some longer magic routines cut from the film to save time.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Thanks Wiz of Oz. I will certainly keep a watch for the DVD release.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
The closest showing for my state was hundreds of miles. I will wait for the DVD.

Jerry
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
This was shown at MAGIC Live...and it's excellent. The DVD is in the works, with the film's director still figuring out what additional bonus footage to add as extras. Apparently there's a lot!

Oh, and Wandboy...obviously you haven't looked at TLC (formerly known as "The Learning Channel") in a LONG time. You will be rather surprised at what's on it these days. Does the name "Honey Boo-Boo" ring a bell? Smile
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
The trailer look great! One of my all time favorites. A living legend!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
The theater in NY is far and only one, so I will wait for the DVD
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Ricky Jay is very knowledgeable about filming and his knowledge about magic is astounding. He is a perfect actor, magician, screenwriter, lecturer, scholar... A true artist.
Anything that Ricky releases is worth more than the time we may devote to it
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
cwcoe
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of cwcoe
I'm really disappointed that this is not more widely available. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD or somewhere that I can go see it. Ricky is so gifted and accomplished. He's a national and international treasure.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I hear ya cwcoe, but remember, this is a small film put out by a small film company with a small budget. And, arguably, a small audience. It's no different than a lot of the alternative films you'd see at Sundance or other film festivals. If you aren't able to see it in a theater, I believe the DVD will be available before the holidays. I would suggest checking the website regularly for updates on its release.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Cool! It's playing about a 25 minute drive from where I am.
manananmaclir
View Profile
New user
Port Hadlock
60 Posts

Profile of manananmaclir
I was fortunate that it was playing in the small town I live in, but it would definitely be worth seeing on DVD if you didn't catch on the big screen. The footage of some of the masters of yesteryear was worth it all by itself, and there was a lot more too it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just saw it this afternoon. Loved it! If laymen would see the movie, they'd gain some respect for the art.
cwcoe
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of cwcoe
Here's a link to Ricky on Letterman talking about the documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EYiPkOgEOM
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks cwcoe. I remember seeing that and it's a great appearance. Thank you for the link!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love this scene from House of Games. This is some powerful Ricky...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADfknTgF1D4
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love this scene from House of Games. This is some bad ass Ricky...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADfknTgF1D4
cwcoe
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of cwcoe
You are welcome Wizard of Oz. I found it by accident while watching something else. Thanks for the link to the House of Games scene. Ricky is always good!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ricky Jay - New Documentary (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL