The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zacksdad
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of zacksdad
Hi everyone. I'm sort of returning to magic after a few years off... I used to work part-time as a close-up magician, but I stopped while I took a career change. Now I'm getting itchy fingers again and have dusted off the cards and started to look at a few different things too. Currently working on Flash by Chad Long (getting some good reactions), and Troy Hooser's Charming Chinese Challenge. I've always worked with cards in the past so I'm trying to extend into coins, elastic bands etc.. Anyway, hello, and nice to meet you. Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome zacksdad,

A little variety makes the cards even better.

I'll see you in the Close-Up fora.

-Mary Mowder
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1448 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Zacksdad,
Let me welcome you to our beautiful Café. As you have noticed it is one of a kind;unique.Absolutely the best the best place about magic ever.You will find this as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has over 55.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
We are glad that you have joined us.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
zacksdad
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of zacksdad
Thanks Mary and Tora.

Time for a little browse...
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
If you're into coin magic JB BeaxBeaux's Modern Coin Magic is the place to start. Its an excellent resource for magicians whether you're a beginner or an amateur. Its actually the first magic book I ever bought. And if you do close up you might find the many sleights in that book you'd wanna learn because just about all of them aren't just for coins.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Welcome to the Café zacksdad.

I'm kind of in the same position as you are in regards to expanding my repertoire. Cards are great, but I find myself a little card heavy and have been expanding things lately with coins, bands, more silks, etc.

Look forward to talking to you.

Have fun!

Theodore-
zacksdad
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of zacksdad
Thanks guys

Foreva - I bought Bobo's modern coin magic a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a look at it yet- I'm hoping to get stuck into it over the next month.

Charming chinese challenge is coming along nicely, but I'm a bit unsure about the spellbound change and it's angles...

Also looking at "a familiar ring" by Paul Gertner - I used to play around with a similar effect in Dave Jones lecture notes (I forget the name), but it just used the coins. I think the addition of a ring adds a bit extra to the trick.

Oh, and I just bought sanchez fly.

Soooo much to do, so little time! Exciting though!

What effects have you been looking at Preston?
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I'm just getting started in Bobo with coins. Learning the first sleights. The only other coin work I've done is with gimmicks. I want to be able to do something with anything though.

For example, I just learned a neat trick that uses two straws where they apparently pass through each other. I was out to dinner with my family the other night and did disappearing salt shaker and killed my 20 something daughters with it! Smile Who knew? lol -the reproduction was equally astounding!

Also rope work is fun. I do a cut a restored and professor's nightmare, but I just ordered some rope effects from Aldo Colombini that I can add to my repertoire.

And I've found that simple things like passing a silk through someone's arm can be very magical. Sometimes we think something may be silly or easily sussed out, but to the spectator it looks like real magic!

Crazy man's handcuffs took me a long time to get looking good, but it's SO worth the time and effort to practice. I now carry bands with me all the time and can do something besides cards at a moments notice. If I had more of a budget I'd do Extreme Burn, but I'm not ready to commit to it yet so I carry a dollar with me and jam a pen through it and a playing card, leaving the dollar intact. Another easy money trick that works well with people is rolling up two bills and they change positions where the one that was on top appears on the bottom.

These simple things with everyday objects, when presented well, are very good magic that fool people and bring moments of astonishment into their day.

But I still love card magic! Smile And after about 40 hours-seriously- of practice I can finally do a reliable Elm$ley Coun+ !!! Smile

Listen to the wisdom of these fellow magicians around here though- they have so much to share and when they say BUY BOOKS not tricks, they know what they are talking about. Of course you're going to buy some tricks because there are things you can only buy as marketed effects and they are fun to do, but don't get carried away on the magic shopping spree of the next big thing. You will get way more bang for your buck from good books and/or DVDs. A good book to check out if you want to expand away from cards is Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It has whole sections on non-card tricks that can give you a good idea of what you may like. Being that you used to work as a part-time magician you probably know this, but I thought I'd mention it. I got mine at a used book store for 10 bucks and still reference it all the time.

TTYL

Theodore-
tdbnz
View Profile
New user
Christchurch Newzealand
23 Posts

Profile of tdbnz
Hi welcome to the magic Café
rmann
View Profile
New user
Milton VT and a forum newbie with only
96 Posts

Profile of rmann
Hi, and welcome to the Magic Café! I would echo what Theodore (Preston68) said about books. Wilson's book is widely available, relatively cheap and has an enormous amount of material. Joshua Jay has a good one out as well called "Magic, The Complete Course" which also comes with a DVD. I would also say that you might want to look into eBook editions of old classics. Even if you don't have a Kindle, Nook or tablet, there are apps available for whatever device you do have and the eBooks can be cheaper than the physical books.

Anyway, welcome!

Ray
_

Pastor Ray Mann

Champlain Valley Church of the Nazarene

St. Albans, VT (USA)

"...to Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever." Ps 136:4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL