The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Cerebrate by M. Salem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I got this a couple of days ago and the end goal is very impressive

I like this a lot, I kind of feel like it's a hidden book or something, a little personal lesson or something, I can't wait to get this to the point of perfection
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
aviso
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of aviso
Whilst not a new concept the reworked thinking and concise description by these guys is quite compelling.
I've been playing around with this for a number of months now and have redeveloped the concept to fit in with a new routine. Marc also provides brilliant personal support !!

I recommend it highly.
Rimark
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Rimark
After a delay due to trial and error the Additional Notes and video are now available to those who have Cerebrate. Access by download on the site noted on the back page label in the book. The presentation and variation by Andy Fisher are not to be missed.
Richard Mark
mmrimark@gmail.com
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 13:05, David Thiel wrote:
Are you from the "Got It This Morning And Put It Into My Show That Same Night" group?

If so...keep away. Cerebrate isn't a lightweight concept. There's going to be some very hard work involved in getting this wonderful idea from the package into your show. There's showmanship required and a significant amount of learning and memorizing to do.

And -- to be honest -- this system (which is both elegant and very clean) draws inspiration from many different sources, but blends them together into a challenging-but-uber-commercial package.

As I indicated in an earlier post, I purchased this on the strength of the names of it's creators: Marc Salem and Richard Mark. I had, at best, only a foggy idea of what the effect was.

At it's very most base presentation: a number of spectators choose an item from a list. They think of it (no...they don't write it down...they don't share it with anyone. They just think of it.) The performer is able to glean, by some very subtle 'probes', which item the spectator is visualizing.

The method for extracting that thought is at the core of Cerebrate. It's hard to say more about it without revealing the method.

Once the system is learned, the method can be applied to a broad range of things: from Q and A to Character Readings.

I'm learning Cerebrate for the same reason I am studying Bruce Bernstein's brilliant book "Unreal." Both products set a very high bar for the performing mentalist. By studying both products, I am learning some wonderful things -- a different way of thinking about mentalism. I'm learning about subtleties, and staging. I'm learning gentle applications of dual reality and how the things that happen onstage will be perceived by the audience. I am learning from people who know much more about mentalism than I do...so both things are making me better.

I'm glad to own Cerebrate. I'm pleased to be studying it and learning from it.

But it's absolutely not for newcomers -- or performers where "easy to do" is the main criteria for choosing which effects to purchase. (I don't have anything against "easy to do." Cerebrate simply doesn't fit into this category.)

So think hard about this. Prepare to either do the work it demands -- or slide it very quietly into the Drawer of No Return.

David

Thanks for the review! Very helpful.
I write and edit text.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
David,

Thanks for the insight. Finally a little something to give us a clue as to what we might be getting into with this. It appears to me that this involves more memorization work than I probably want to do. It's nice to at least have a clue about what something entails because from the previous posts, it was nearly impossible to get a grasp on what this is and whether it might be something I would use. I'm now feeling like this is not for me. I have a few things that I do that require memorization and consistent practice to stay on top of them, probably enough. Given I perform every month, but not every week, I like to have a good mix of things that take a bit less work.

KJ
RichardAwesome
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of RichardAwesome
This is a remarkable system. But be warned, (and heed the advice of David above) I say with zero jest, I found texts like Blood Meridian and The Canterbury Tales to be more accessible at times. There are huge sections (of a minimal 35 page booklet) that are not described particularly well. I assume, but do not know, that this may be intentional. Perhaps in an effort to make sure it's only performed by those worthy of taking the time to learn it's secrets. Or perhaps I'm just stupid. It's certainly been said...

I read and reread portions only to arrive at what I thought the authors were saying, and forced to draw my own conclusions about how I would go about it. Which is really the way to do it anyway right? So far it's worked well, but I've yet to perform it in front of a paying audience. and am a FAR cry from adding it to my stage show. But I tell ya...much like the aforementioned literary works. It rewards you for diving in. As a man wiser than myself once wrote "Life is for the daring."

Also the link to the supplemental materials is no longer valid, but an email to the contact listed was answered immediately with the promise of the materials to arrive ASAP.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Cerebrate by M. Salem (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL