The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Aldini Bowl Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
758 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I'm working on rounding out my Mak collection. On page 114 of catalog #4 the Aldine Bowl Vanish is listed. I believe this is a Mak version of the Gwynne flip over vanish but I'm not sure.
Any of you Mak collectors or experts know anything about the history of this prop or how many were produced let me know. History is helpful when tracing down a prop like this.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I am not an expert on this particular MAK prop, but I think it may have been inspired by a bowl vanish that Okito created. See the Albo series for info on that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
725 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Do you mean the "ALDINI Bowl Vanish"???? -------Aldini's IMPROVEMENT over the "Westgate Bowl Vanish".

BTW---The Westgate/Aldini Bowl Vanish has NOTHING to do with the "flip-over box method".
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Abbott's also made a bowl vanish. Since UF Grant worked for them it was probably invented by him when he worked there.

It is nothing like the Westgate bowl. More like the take apart dove vanish.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
725 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
In my above post, I was only thinking about the better-known "ALDINI Bowl PRODUCTION" (an improvement over the "Westgate" Bowl Production).....I was NOT thinking of a Bowl VANISH....

But now that I've checked out my MAK Catalog 4--I see that there indeed is an ALDINI Bowl VANISH prop.

Judging by the appearance of the prop & the ad description (which mentions the word "flip")---I would guess that YES, this prop is the same as a Jack Gwynne Flip-over Box Vanish-----EXCEPT that this prop probably features a fish bowl that either has the water sealed permanently inside, or perhaps the fish bowl has a clear "Foo Can" gimmick inside ---- both methods which would allow the fishbowl to be held in a vertical position, after the "vanish".
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't know the method used in the MAK version, but I do know how the Okito version works. It is neither of those mentioned. Each of those could work, but so could the Okito method, because of the type of box used (Flip over). Basically, the bowl is gasket-sealed by the lid as it's closed.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
This has the gasket, It's 40 years old and does not leak. I inherited it because none of my stuff is that beat-up. I just wouldn't happen. Si this is a sample that sits on a shelve

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/wortma......74297297

How do you embed a photo as opposed to using the link?
Anyone
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The method to seal the bowl is basically the same, but the surrounding prop is different than Okito's idea. His is essentially a take-apart vanish. The lid (with door on it) is first removed and placed against a chair. The door accidentally (?) opens, and the audience sees the back of the chair through the opening. This is the point of deception.

Jay, to make photos show in the body of the post just surround it with img tags, including the neccesary brackets. Look at my example here... If you remove all the asterisks, and put the actual URL where it goes between the tags, you will see the photo in the post, rather than just a link.

[***img***]***URL for your photo***[***/***img***]

Look at the BBcode info if you have any more questions... or email me and I can show you there. I can't actually write it here, or the system will try to read and decipher the code... and all heck will break loose! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Aldini Bowl Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL