The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busker expiry dates... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
I was watching one of my Gazzo DVD's the other day and something he said stuck in my head, he said busking is a young man's game.

What do you think about that? Do you think there is an expiry date for street performers, I wonder what is the age where the show and/or hat starts to decline.

I know a lot could be said about getting burnt out, but what about people who are older but who aren't burnt out, is there still an age when the expiry date for these street performing has been reached?

I'm guessing most people will say if your show is still entertaining then keep going (which is my personal view too) but I wonder if there are any older folk here who feel that at a certain age the street just doesn't work any more....or maybe there are younger people here who have an opinion about when the older guys should give it up. In any case, I'm interested to see what people have to say.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
1953 vintage = 60
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
69, not as many shows but still in the game
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
You "vintage" performers are giving me hope. Forty-cough-five-cough here, and just starting. Smile
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Funny, but I´ve found, as I got/get older; I have less hassle on the streets.
Fewer hecklers.
Fewer, "Move! Now!!" ´s

I´m not sure if it has to do with my age?
,.. if society is getting more peaceful?
,... or if I project less agression?

I wish I still had the strength of my youth,
...and the hair.
,but if I could turn it back,
I´d ONLY do so,
if I could take the Experiences,
the Stories,
the Friends,
and my lady.

,it´s a good ride.

gallagher
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The act changes (less manipulation due to arthritis) and the shoes are more sensible. But then I'm 70. Doing it less and less simply because I'd rather race the motorcycle. The small town fairs and festivals still draw me. Like Paddy, not as many shows but still building the odd edge.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'll be 58 this year. I only just started a few years ago. I'm certainly less likely to go out for 8 to 10 hours a day, but I still go out.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 09:55, Yekrats wrote:
You "vintage" performers are giving me hope. Forty-cough-five-cough here, and just starting. Smile

I started when I was 54. Learned balloons, then magic and started busking in one year. Slowed down in 2004 when I had a 4 way bypass and again the first of May when I had my last heart attack. Little slower now
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Paddy, that is great news. It means I can hold off getting out there for another year.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Quote:
Top Man
On 2013-07-30 08:54, Paddy wrote:
69, not as many shows but still in the game
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
70. And I started performing magic seriously only 5 years back - most of it part-time on the streets - after having a childhood interest. I get tired after some 3-4 hours on my feet all the time, and sore, and after I knock off I go back to my station wagon and each a lunch then sleep for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, then drive 3/4 hour home. I don't have much energy spare by the time I get home.
I once skipped the sleep and briefly fell asleep at the wheel - hit a sloping kerb [most of the road doesn't have one] and woke up and managed to keep the car mostly on the road and got it back onto the road o.k. and continued a few more kilometres then pulled over for a nap.
I learnt my lesson - after my street work I always take a short or long nap before driving back home.
The presentation makes the magic.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
49 and loving it more and more.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I'm 58 and no that I can no longer work at my regular job due to cancer, I plan on doing some. The way I have performed in truckstops while working asan over the road trucker for the last 20 years is very similar to busking. Would sit at a table doing flourishes and shuffles till someone asked if I was a card shark or something and I would just tell them I was a magician and I am breaking in a new deck. "Wow, show me a trick" then the tables come together, the crowd slowly grew, my dinner tab was picked up and a few tips flew. Kind of the same I imagine.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
50 here and loving it also.

I think it depends on your level of health. If as you get older you don't do things differently- eat healthier, exercise, manage stress etc. then your abilities and stamina must decline. Also your mental attitude has a lot to do with it.
I just got back to entertaining after I lost my job and amazingly my outlook has never been better. At my job I was talking more and more about how "I was getting old". Now even though I'm "unemployed" I'm happier, have more energy and feel younger.
Depends on the individual I guess.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tabarin
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of tabarin
All of these posts are wonderful and your stories are very inspirational. although perhaps part of the point that I think Gazzo was trying to make might be missed. I'm pretty sure gazzo is talking about the full time professional street act who travels the world perhaps working faires festivals gatherings and street corners. europe and US/canada in the spring and summer then Australia in their summer which is the northern hemisphere winter. street acts follow the sun and after 25 or 30 years of crashing on couches campgrounds or under the stars eating your meals out of flat boxes and not seeing your family for months perhaps years at a time while flying around the world and then doing shows sometimes in two or three different countries a week if not a day when working europe takes a huge toll on the body mind and soul. a man misses a lot less when he is 25 than he does when he is 55 and at 55 a man usually has a lot more to miss including his youth. I do not think there is anyone alive today performing magic on the street who has given more and left more of themselves on the street than gazzo. the man is a warrior and if he says its a young mans game I know I believe him and I reckon it stands to reason if you think about it.
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
If you have been on the streets for more than 20 yrs you are called a 'Lifer ' in Busking lingo

so gazo is a lifer , the show he does is all he knows, Since his stroke he has been able to bounce

back ( sortt of ?) Sadly because of the stroke he was Forced to mjarket his show which every Kid & his mother is Now doing

But that is what he does and the show he does period. Mario morris is in his late 40s

Jim Cellini Busked into his 60 s , and thank goodness was able to put his knowledge in to the Wonderful Royal Touch Book

Jeff Sheridan is busking in still and he's well into mid 60s , Bob Maverick is in his late 40 s .

so mid 60s seem the be the answere to this topic.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 07:39, Zuke wrote:

Do you think there is an expiry date for street performers, I wonder what is the age where the show and/or hat starts to decline.

I know a lot could be said about getting burnt out, but what about people who are older but who aren't burnt out, is there still an age when the expiry date for these street performing has been reached?

Quote:
The Great Zoobini wrote:

Uh...that was a joke and not my age. Smile
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
I am Busking at the Age of 59 Keep going to the End of the long road ...may all your days be Busking Days
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busker expiry dates... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL